Least favorite tarantula species

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I like Theraphosidae with attitude, that's all. I doubt that a H.hainanum possess the same "shy" (let's not count the potent venom) behavior of a P.metallica. And so forth.

Nothing to say about those two genus (Avicularia and Poecilotheria) colors, but the standards I want are others.
I have a feeling that after her next molt my ornata won't put up with anything from anybody but I doubt she'll be slamming in to her enclosure walls just because I walked by...or maybe she will, I've heard of some that nasty lol.

I keep debating an O. aureotibialis...what's your thoughts on that one?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I think everybody struggles with certain ones.

Your comment reminded me of a struggle that I have got. I currently don't own any Pamphobeteus, but actually would like to acquire something in this genus. But every time I start looking at adult female pictures, I can't seem to separate them enough to pick one easily (that is also available). I then give up and move on.... But it is on my "want" rather than "not want" list.
Pamphos seem really cool but that's one of the things about them...the sexual dimorphism is backwards from how it is in most other species...females really tend to look pretty drab when compared to the males.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have a feeling that after her next molt my ornata won't put up with anything from anybody but I doubt she'll be slamming in to her enclosure walls just because I walked by...or maybe she will, I've heard of some that nasty lol.

I keep debating an O. aureotibialis...what's your thoughts on that one?
Well, temperament vary as you know, so no one can predict the outcome. Now, I don't want to undermine genus Poecilotheria, no way. Just that, if/when compared to other Asian arboreal Theraphosidae like L.nigerrimum or the African ones (S.calceatum above everything) they aren't IMO in that high strung league.

As far as O.aureotibialis in Italy back then they had their "moment", and at very interesting prices. I like them, size isn't the best IMO, but anyway they are great.

Let's say a perfect "must have" between 'Haplos' and genus Chilobrachys :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Yeah they're definitely cheap as slings. Smaller is ok as I doubt I'll see it much and means I can use a smaller adult enclosure heh. I've wanted a Chilo for quite a while too (horns up! \m/\m/ ha!) just always find an arboreal I want instead haha. Not too interested in Haplos right now.

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Avic. purpurea, versicolor, metallica, huriana, and juruensis are all very different looking from your standard A. avic. Braunshauseni are typically larger than the others as adults. Geroldi and diversipes have their differences too.

A few do look pretty similar to the "regular" one but many do not.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
All you rosea/porteri haters- my two must be atypical. One of them is always busy doing something. "Grandma" doesn't eat very often, but the youngster has yet to turn down any of her monthly meals.
I am very partial to my gorgeous rosie -- vibrant colours. And she is always up to something -- never knew a T to redecorate and move her ping pong ball so often. Mine missed the 'pet rock' memo.

G rosea.jpg Rosies Rule!
"And this is mine, and this is mine, and this is mine....

How can you guys dislike G. rosea????
Love your pix so much that I had to show mine. I know today's rosies are the smithis of the 70s -- but what's so horrible about that? Psycho? You betcha. Part of their charm! And when they aren't hungry -- they offer up such a desecrated unrecognizable murdered feeders -- hey -- you gotta respect that level of anger. That's a LOT of anger. lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Love your pix so much that I had to show mine. I know today's rosies are the smithis of the 70s -- but what's so horrible about that? Psycho? You betcha. Part of their charm! And when they aren't hungry -- they offer up such a desecrated unrecognizable murdered feeder -- hey -- you gotta respect that level of anger. That's a LOT of anger. lol :)
Agreed. Thanks, the one pictured is my gravid female. She was paired last year around this time, and still hasn't dropped a sack though. She is also fairly defensive.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Hope you get a sack! (fingers crossed). With the imports bans and all.... well, it wouldn't be T keeping without a good old rosea. Mine was actually captive bred (or so I was told -- got it from Jamies). We need more in the hobby in spite of the haters!! :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Acanthoscurria genus hasnever interested me and most Avicularia (with a couple exceptions).

..To be completely honest I don't see the hype in Pamphobeteus or Theraphosa either. Big brown things where each species within their genus just looks like the next.

Of course it comes to individual opinions. Its not that I hate them I am just completely uninterested in them.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Acanthoscurria genus hasnever interested me and most Avicularia (with a couple exceptions).

..To be completely honest I don't see the hype in Pamphobeteus or Theraphosa either. Big brown things where each species within their genus just looks like the next.

Of course it comes to individual opinions. Its not that I hate them I am just completely uninterested in them.
With Pamphos that's only true of the females, though.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Most boring spider I have ever owned was G.pulchripes.. I had three and they never did anything EVER.. They Just sat out in the open derpin around..

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Guys guys...the question was which tarantulais your least favourite, so if someone answers that, it doesn't mean he or she disliked the T, sjeez. :p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Itchy indeed though I still prefer the N. chromatus to the A. genic :p
One thing I love and IMO priceless about A.geniculata: after a B.dubia meal, when they clean themselves, if you watch closely those eyes and chelicerae moving, those looks like a sort of 1900 bodybuilder/barons mustaches :kiss: