How long have you had her?

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
becca81 said:
Beautiful!

How big is it now?

How long have you had her?
The best measurement I have been able to get puts him/her at about 4.5". I have had her for about four months and she has molted twice in my care. She put on quite a bit of weight really quick the last time she molted, and was quite a bit fatter before the molt each time. I got her from a pet store here in Denver called Scales-n-tails. She was a good 2" smaller when I got her from the pet store, so hopefully she'll keep eating, molting, and growing into a true monster! :D

David Richards

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is a female I got from spider patch in 99 as a speck. She had this last april. Talk about coming full circle. Before you ask, it is annual rye grass in the cage. Just something to give some greenery for her to look at! There is a brazilian black and white molt that fell behind the cage also! she had about 1000 and hatched them without my help.

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jeez man that is a freakin large egg sac, tell me about 1000 slings , jeez hehehehehehe never saw this before.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cpt.nemO said:
jeez man that is a freakin large egg sac, tell me about 1000 slings , jeez hehehehehehe never saw this before.
LOL... that is an average size sac for a parahybana, the freakin large ones get into the 2000's

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't breed but it looks fun and rewarding, but how many slings actually live and what do you do with all of them?

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you have a picture of all the slings? That would be neat to see!

David Richards

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Egg sac

I have heard rumors of 4 thousand plus from a reputable source. I Didn't want to cup them all out so i put them all in 10 gallon tank and pulled a piece of good saran wrap across the top. Then I cut a hole in the middle for access and air. Works good because they couldn't climb on it for what ever reason. I could spray through the hole(3 inches around) and dump pinheads in with them. Of course they started munching on each other so I cupped them after they got busy on each other. when they all eat one, your down to 500 then 250 fast!!! I cupped about 300 and sold them for 2 bucks each in lots of 10 or more. She is getting ready to lay another in less than a month if i am lucky. If so I am going to sell the sac, send it out and let someone else worry about the headache. Best spider for the money in my opinion. they get huge and are very laid back. dave

David Richards

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
slings

Believe it or not, I dont. Bad bad bad. I will be doing better with the still camera this time around. I made a dvd video that has her mating, eating the male and laying the sac. It was pretty rewarding to see it all play out.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good luck with the sac!

Where is Corryton, TN?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had a tough day at work, was cussed out by a 12 year old, my daughter is sick and had to take her to the doctor, and my husband has to work tonight.

When I got home I went to check on the spiders and saw my L. parahybana just finishing up a molt! It's amazing how much better a molt can make you feel. :)

I also checked in on my G. aureostriata, and from the look of its abdomen it looks like a molt should be coming up anyday. It's been off food for well over a week...

There's nothing like spiders to make you feel better. :D

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
becca81 said:
It's amazing how much better a molt can make you feel. :)

There's nothing like spiders to make you feel better. :D
Hhmmm bad day :/

I know, its the litle things that count :)
It always makes me happy :)

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
hey becca that is awsome i know youve been worried about the little sling im glad everything went good.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
pinktoes804 said:
hey becca that is awsome i know youve been worried about the little sling im glad everything went good.
Thanks. :)

Yeah, I was pretty worried about him. Even though I dropped water in there daily he looked withered and didn't move much. When I saw him this evening he was in the "final push" phase of the molt.

I expect my G. aureostriata to go anyday now, but I've heard others talk about how long they can stay in pre-molt.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how cute!!

Seems like my G. aureostriata has been in premolt for months...oh wait...it has!
From what ive noticed so far, it takes awhile, mine looks like a tick! haha {D

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That first picture is a neat one. Good luck with the G.a! Hope it's sooner than later...and later and later...

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WhyTeDraGon said:
how cute!!

Seems like my G. aureostriata has been in premolt for months...oh wait...it has!
From what ive noticed so far, it takes awhile, mine looks like a tick! haha {D
My .75 G. aureostriata looks like a tick to. I named him St. Tick. :D

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i hate disrepectful kids!!! grats on the molt! anyone think i put too many exclamation points in my posts?