Largest specimen of latrodectus youve seen? post pics!

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've been rearing Latrodectus bishopi for a while now. Just pulled a sac from my largest female yesterday. I currently have nine species of widow and my largest are L. hesperus.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's a pic of one of my female hesperus. The container is a 16 oz. deli cup.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
>< I wish i still had my widow, she would have won hands down, If the only other person on the boards who knows me wants to verify on the size of this gravid female he can. :rolleyes:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
>< I wish i still had my widow, she would have won hands down, If the only other person on the boards who knows me wants to verify on the size of this gravid female he can. :rolleyes:
haha , I dont remember. I dont remember it being that big.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Treds are considered one of the smaller (if not smallest) latros. But, when well fed and gravid, their abdomens can get huge ...wide! Revs are like that also ..humorously bulbous and clumsy.

Hesperus take the prize from what Ive seen.
When comparing widow sizes, look at the leg span, but more importantly (IMO) look at the length and girth of the front legs. Dont judge by the size of the abdomen ...that can fool you.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dont judge by the size of the abdomen ...that can fool you.
Those huge bulbous abdomens are such a characteristic trait of these that I think they should be considered. We've discussed this before and I think like other animals, these probably have a winner in mass and a winner in size.

Last edited:

Irks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Web

I've seen an L. Hesperus web stretch 6 feet tall, with a nest 2.5X2.5X2.5 at the top, and a large prey collection area 3X3X1.5 at the bottom, with multiple strands she could run up and down connecting the two. I really wish I got a picture. It was in my shed :eek:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those huge bulbous abdomens are such a characteristic trait of these that I think they should be considered. We've discussed this before and I think like other animals, these probably have a winner in mass and a winner in size.
You got a scale? What are you waiting for? :D
U now have a new mission.. if you dont have a scale, loan one from the neighborhood kids.. they usually have small, accurate scales. :razz:

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had some L.lugubris several years ago that were monsters. The L.tredecimguttatus (all black form), are real monsters as well.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had some L.lugubris several years ago that were monsters. The L.tredecimguttatus (all black form), are real monsters as well.
Forgive ...a bit of a threadjack...

Name L.lugubris is supposed to be obsolete and has been found to be the same as tredecimguttatus.
I guess a few other mid-east species have been found to be treds also.

Wikipedia
(Latrodectus tredecimguttatus)
Specimens from central Asia are also known by the binomial name Latrodectus lugubris
L.lugubris pics available online show an all black flavor.
Fauna Laboratories, Ltd., manufacturer of arthropod venoms in Central Asia...
http://www.faunalabs.com/photos/a142lt.html

I have pondered the logical(?) possibility that the treds (black morphs) from Israel that I and others have recently been keeping are what used to be officially named L.lugubris. ?

I'm extremely curious to whatever info and/or opinion you may have regarding this. ;)

Rizzolo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My female revivensis outweighs all the others i'll bet. bigger than my treds by a good margin. her legs are not as long as my hesperus, but she is definitely beefier. she is a ferocious predator too.

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Forgive ...a bit of a threadjack...

Name L.lugubris is supposed to be obsolete and has been found to be the same as tredecimguttatus.
I guess a few other mid-east species have been found to be treds also.

Wikipedia
(Latrodectus tredecimguttatus)

L.lugubris pics available online show an all black flavor.
Fauna Laboratories, Ltd., manufacturer of arthropod venoms in Central Asia...
http://www.faunalabs.com/photos/a142lt.html

I have pondered the logical(?) possibility that the treds (black morphs) from Israel that I and others have recently been keeping are what used to be officially named L.lugubris. ?

I'm extremely curious to whatever info and/or opinion you may have regarding this. ;)
Interesting. The L.lugubris that I did have were from Fauna Labs so that would explain my use of that name. What is your source regarding the L.lugubris/L.tredecimguttatus being one-in-the-same?
The Latro genus is currently being overhauled as you may well know. The methodology being used to do this should shed some light on those species currently recognized.

I would be reluctant to use Wikipedia as a valid source of information since just about anyone can write content for them. (Not sure if that was your source, I just noticed you wrote it in your post;)

KingBowser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That always cracks me up when wikipedia is used as a reference. :wall:

I've got a good sized hesperus...ordered it online and it's way bigger than any I've found here.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That always cracks me up when wikipedia is used as a reference.
It always makes me smile when questionable references are brought up to help shed light on the truth. ;) Then again, maybe if we ignore the questionable info that is available to everyone, the bad stuff will just go away on its own. :rolleyes:
Thank gosh! that a "Latrodectus lubugris" search yields good and trustworthy info contradicting what wikipedia has to say. Only 3 or 4 results down from wikipedia's tredecimguttus link..
The Venom List > FS: Latrodectus lugubris spiderlings
Full Version: FS: Latrodectus lugubris spiderlings. The Venom List > Classifieds > For Sale/Trade. Latrodectus. Oct 18 2005, 04:19 PM ...
L.lugubris spiderlings. This species is native to Central Asia. Some consider them to be identical to L. tredecimguttatus, however, they are a different species.
10.00 each.
Only selling a limited quantity.
Pimpin' out some spiders and tellin' it like it is. ;) ...:rolleyes:

Interesting. The L.lugubris that I did have were from Fauna Labs so that would explain my use of that name. What is your source regarding the L.lugubris/L.tredecimguttatus being one-in-the-same?
The Latro genus is currently being overhauled as you may well know. The methodology being used to do this should shed some light on those species currently recognized.

I would be reluctant to use Wikipedia as a valid source of information since just about anyone can write content for them. (Not sure if that was your source, I just noticed you wrote it in your post
Sorry.. "supposed" should have been "supposably" w/ :rolleyes: ...;) Im a much more sarcastic person than what i let show. :D
Looking all over for where I read about another mid-east specie or two(I thought it was L.dahli ..maybe L.tadzhicus) being renamed ...cant remember if lugubris was mentioned. Cant find that info...so thats moot.
Thats exactly why I was hoping for another opinion ...more info. :? ;)

Last edited:

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It always makes me smile when questionable references are brought up to help shed light on the truth. ;) Then again, maybe if we ignore the questionable info that is available to everyone, the bad stuff will just go away on its own. :rolleyes:
Thank gosh! that a "Latrodectus lubugris" search yields good and trustworthy info contradicting what wikipedia has to say. Only 3 or 4 results down from wikipedia's tredecimguttus link..
The Venom List > FS: Latrodectus lugubris spiderlings
Full Version: FS: Latrodectus lugubris spiderlings. The Venom List > Classifieds > For Sale/Trade. Latrodectus. Oct 18 2005, 04:19 PM ...

Pimpin' out some spiders and tellin' it like it is. ;) ...:rolleyes:

Sorry.. "supposed" should have been "supposably" w/ :rolleyes: ...;) Im a much more sarcastic person than what i let show. :D
Looking all over for where I read about another mid-east specie or two(I thought it was L.dahli ..maybe L.tadzhicus) being renamed ...cant remember if lugubris was mentioned. Cant find that info...so thats moot.
Thats exactly why I was hoping for another opinion ...more info. :? ;)
It's funny how confusing things can be when dealing with all of the different species isn't it.
I always questioned the L.tredecimguttatus (all black) and the (corisca - red pattern).
The research that is being done by Dr. Jeremy Miller (what I referenced earlier with regard to research), is very indepth and meant to shed light on whether or not a said species is in fact a different species - subspecies - etc.
I think at one time someone, (can't remember who), wrote a paper stating that the majority of Latrodectus are L.mactans. The info was quickly rejected.
Back to the topic.............
I remember ordering some L.tredecimguttatus from Chuck Christensen (might be spelled with a K), at Spiderpharm and they were monsters!
Anyhow...Buthus....if for any reason my earlier post was offensive please accept my apology...it was not my intention;)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how big is big? (does anyone have a photo with a ruler?)

i'm feeding my big geo right now for a ruler photo of epic proportions