Is this a Birdeater for sure ?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I only consider theraphosa "birdeaters" . The name supposedly came from someone seeing a T blondi eating a bird. I can see why people applied it to other tarantulas though. Who wouldn't want a "birdeater"?
The term birdeater comes from Avicularia. It refers to a famous old painting from the 1700's showing a pink toed spider eating a bird.

Later, Tom

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Here is the picture I said I would take , anyone have any ideas as to what T this is then let me know please ?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Looking at the carapace it looks more like a Pamphobeteus sp. Which one isnt ever likely to be known.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To me, that pink reminds me of Xenesthis, but I am not too well versed in identifying SA birdeaters. Many look very similar IMO ;)

Deb60

Arachnosquire
If so what size set up will I eventually need when full grown ?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Probably a 20" by 20" ziploc tub. They get HUGE, easily reaching 7-8". I like to give my T's a little more space, but that should be around where you should be more or less ;) Height doesn't matter so long as it's no taller than 2x the T's legspan.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I always heard the term bird eater used to refer to large South American Ts.

Did you toss it a bird and observe it's reaction? :troll:

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I always heard the term bird eater used to refer to large South American Ts.

Did you toss it a bird and observe it's reaction? :troll:
No , . I love my Birds to much to do that . How could I do that to my beautiful birds !

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Probably a 20" by 20" ziploc tub. They get HUGE, easily reaching 7-8". I like to give my T's a little more space, but that should be around where you should be more or less ;) Height doesn't matter so long as it's no taller than 2x the T's legspan.
Thank you , will keep that in mind , may have to get my son to move out to make room .

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Only joking , I'd have a whole room to keep my Ts in them lol.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No , . I love my Birds to much to do that . How could I do that to my beautiful birds !
You never know how it might go though... It could be a Bird Hugger. Would that not be cute? :)

PS: It wont be a Bird Hugger. Don't harm your pets based on any of this craziness.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, I hear they like to hug with their fangs...
You never know how it might go though... It could be a Bird Hugger. Would that not be cute? :)

PS: It wont be a Bird Hugger. Don't harm your pets based on any of this craziness.

Deb60

Arachnosquire

Don't think I'd give it a chance , especially this time of year , theirs plenty of small chicks at the mo . I'm not that cruel !

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm sure my sub adult P. cancerides would LOVE a chick. I have not really fed it, as I plan on getting bigger prey over dubias, but I don't see why not. As long as you make sure the T isn't being hurt :D May be a little cruel to some, but circle of life ;) Prey is prey IMO