I'm going to handle my female pokie Ornata, lacking confidence...

Handle pokie Ornata?

• If the situation felt right

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • There is never a need to handle her

Votes: 52 77.6%
  • Handling her does her no benefit

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • It might be surprising and we both might enjoy it

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Haha Festes started it, I went to try and get her out one day before she now let's herself out, and she moved all quick and touched my finger and then backed up an inch, I retracted as well, scared at first lol and then I put my finger back, about 2 inches away, she ran up touched my finger with one of hers and moved back, one day she just didn't move back and neither did I and it became a thing from There!
Hahaha...OMG! He's testing to see if your food...

Seriously stop sticking your fingers in his enclosure..

Last edited:

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
Well
Might I aggressively point to @Walker253 's post in agreement? That is what you risk. Fun fact: you are in no way bonding with your T's. I am sorry you think you are. Dogs show affection. Cats show affection. Some reptiles show affection. Tarantulas? Nope, not in the least. If you are so driven to handle something that could send you to a hospital, I question your motives in keeping the ornata in the first place. Just like fish, tarantulas are meant for viewing pleasure. People here are giving you great advice. If you choose to ignore it, that is your choice, but it is irrational, irresponsible, and shows you really haven't researched your tarantulas enough.
I invite you to be updated through this thread and read how I infect do bond with my tarantulas, and your fish example is bull too. I have many fish, and have pet very single one, fish communicate through food and positive reinforcement like most creatures, my fish I would feed and then dangle my finger and brush against it until it got comfortable and after a few times of positive reinforcement, every time I waded my finger a certain way in the water, the fish would come up and brush against me back and forth for as kognas I stroked it back. Life is mich deeper than I believe you understand. Hopefully I can show you all a different side to these awesome spiders

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Here are a couple more shots, and can you fill me in as to why you believe Wellenough is a male?
Absolutely 100% male.. Sorry..

*Edit*

This is a pic of a female that's roughly the same size.. Notice the slate grey coloration and the purple hues? The males of this species go from the grey sling coloration to a velvety green like yours.. Also as you can see the females have a bold cream stripe on the abdomen.. The males stripe is grey(ish) bordered by cream..

Also you can see a dot on the underside just above the epigastric furrow.. Only males have that dot.

My girl 20170829_231120.jpg

Last edited:

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
Well

I invite you to be updated through this thread and read how I infect do bond with my tarantulas, and your fish example is bull too. I have many fish, and have pet very single one, fish communicate through food and positive reinforcement like most creatures, my fish I would feed and then dangle my finger and brush against it until it got comfortable and after a few times of positive reinforcement, every time I waded my finger a certain way in the water, the fish would come up and brush against me back and forth for as kognas I stroked it back. Life is mich deeper than I believe you understand. Hopefully I can show you all a different side to these awesome spiders
Ok. That was. Unexpected. Thank you for the lecture on fish (serious here, I did not know that). Now, on the topic of tarantulas: No, you have not bonded with them. You simply have not. The fact you are not listening to anyone really isn't anyone's problem but your own. I am sorry you refuse to listen to reason because youre under the impression you're a spider whisperer. Now, I really don't need to listen to your painfully incorrect statements, but I am here in the hope you'll actually listen. Alsas

JDS123

Arachnosquire
Agreed, it was a poor example on my part.
i didnt mean that bad toward you, meant for the OP to not compare her snuggly fish to the tarantulas. My fish come and rub my hands and beg for food and such too. I dont want her to think the tarantula is trying to snuggle her lol. May like the warmth, or to walk about further than its used to in the enclosure all the time, but I dont think its thinking like the fish are lol.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
fish are much different than tarantulas.
Fish have a brain, albeit a small one. Tarantulas have no brain, just a nerve bundle. They do not bond, do not reason, and do not think. They react to stimuli, the have basic instincts and are primitive.

Leila

Arachnobaron
::sigh::
I have to agree with @Venom1080: I'm losing brain cells reading this crap.

OP, if you are so hell bent on handling your ornata, why did you come here to ask for opinions and advice in the first place? You clearly have your mind made up...

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
Hahaha...OMG! He's testing to see if your food...

Seriously stop sticking your fingers in her enclosure..
If she thought I was good, why does she do it everyday with Me? I don't feed her but once a week....and I don't hand feed her I set them free and she likes to hunt them, she might have been testing me the first few times even, but she LEARNED that that was just a thing we do, totally different.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
This thread is getting out of hand, my concern is a first time Tarantula keeper reads this drivel and starts to think its a good idea to handle a tarantula with possibly the most potent venom. This is NOT a good idea, they do NOT feel affection, at best they no longer recognize you as a threat, and that's a stretch . They don't want/need cuddles, they don't want to high five you (it's trying to check if your finger is too big to eat), they don't like your boyfriends bass music. If you MUST make these statements, at the very least preface them by saying that this is your opinion, this is not scientific fact. You clearly do not have enough experience with these creatures to properly read body language. How would you feel if some 15 year old reads this and gets bit and ends up in the hospital with heart palpitations. You came into this thread asking for ways to "build up your confidence" to handle a VERY hot tarantula, it seems like you are asking for permission, you can do what you want, but don't go making it seem like it's advisable, do it or don't but trying to convince others that it's a good idea is ridiculous and irresponsible.

As for experienced keepers on AB saying its a good idea, i'm hoping they are sarcastic remarks.This thread is detrimental.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
If she thought I was good, why does she do it everyday with Me? I don't feed her but once a week....and I don't hand feed her I set them free and she likes to hunt them, she might have been testing me the first few times even, but she LEARNED that that was just a thing we do, totally different.
No she didn't. She is simply a very tolerant spider. I have spiders that walk out when I open their cages too. Although most of the time, I think it's a good response. They don't love me. And never will. And I'm okay with that. I knew what animals I was buying and I accepted that fact.
You are in denial.

Why

Why though? I said why I thought she was a girl, why do you think she's a male?
Dull colors. Very obvious, dark abdomen band. Also, these guys are easy to tell the difference. Dont even need to check the furrow for a dot with these giys. Females are a beautiful white. IMG_20170821_005257936.jpg
Not the best example. But you can still see the differences. My 5" girlie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
This thread is getting out of hand, my concern is a first time Tarantula keeper reads this drivel and starts to think its a good idea to handle a tarantula with possibly the most potent venom. This is NOT a good idea, they do NOT feel affection, at best they no longer recognize you as a threat, and that's a stretch . They don't want/need cuddles, they don't want to high five you (it's trying to check if your finger is too big to eat), they don't like your boyfriends base music. If you MUST make these statements, at the very least preface them by saying that this is your opinion, this is not scientific fact. You clearly do not have enough experience with these creatures to properly read body language. How would you feel if some 15 year old reads this and gets bit and ends up in the hospital with heart palpitations. You came into this thread asking for ways to "build up your confidence" to handle a VERY hot tarantula, it seems like you are asking for permission, you can do what you want, but don't go making it seem like it's advisable, do it or don't but trying to convince others that it's a good idea is ridiculous and irresponsible.

As for experienced keepers on AB saying its a good idea, i'm hoping they are sarcastic remarks.This thread is detrimental.
If a 15 yr old read this, they would have the curiosity to pay attention and read my post. You are the only one making blatant statements based from ignorance. I never made claims I knew anything I started with "I believe that infects opinion, not fact. I am sorry that my thread had struck a cord with you, but I believe you are very wrong in your thoughts though, I have not encouraged anyone to try this, trust me, and I iterated that I know the severity of my actions amd how dangerous the outcome could be, all I asked was for insight, that's all. You read into this thread too mich amd got riled up and I'm sorry, but you do not know me or my fiance or either of our arachnids, and I will tell you that Festes enjoys my fiance bass playing and the people who have witnessed this cam attest. Festes has made people laugh out of her antics, she's a cool and truly happy tarantula.

Attachments

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
If she thought I was good, why does she do it everyday with Me
It's checking to see if they item is too big to eat... my GBB does it, C. versicolor, P. metalica and plenty of others, specially with slow moving prey (wax/goliath worms). They extend a leg test it and if they are comfortable they go in for the kill, if not they back off... Unless they are high fiving the grubs too...

Status
Not open for further replies.