I'm going to handle my female pokie Ornata, lacking confidence...

Handle pokie Ornata?

• If the situation felt right

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • There is never a need to handle her

Votes: 52 77.6%
  • Handling her does her no benefit

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • It might be surprising and we both might enjoy it

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Addison Chloe

Please Lady don't let obscurantism prevail: you are doing a great keeping job, and your questions are valid, adult and intelligent :)

I only go in her terrarium with my hands, no tongs or anything
Don't use tongs or else, you say? That's the spirit... "living" at 360° the feeling with your spider. You are breaking every not written rule as a sort of 'Rebel-Pioneer', I tell you.

Yeah, the (hypothetical) bite can be very painful, sure... but hurts more the lack of knowledge :bookworm:

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
Thank you for nice honest response and understand that they are considered to not want to be handled and that they are primitive and instinctual, however, I hi five her, Festes my Antilles Pink Toed plays tag with me, she's groomed her fangs on me so many times I can't count, she plays, she literally gets on the bass when my fiance plays and snuggles on the neck and just enjoys the vibration. I believe these creatures just need to be communicated with differently. I've used sounds and hand displays to get through and was looking to see if there was anyone like me, I guess I will be on my own here. Furthermore I believe that if they are instinctual like everyone says, and everyone has fesr of being bitten, well OF COURSE they're going to be bitten, but what if you could overcome the fear of that bite, I believe that spider can sense the calm just as much as they can sense the fear, the second she touches skin, if it goosebumps and gets rigid dye to instinctual human fear, then the spider feels that, but if it felt warmth and relaxation, I don't see why it would ever feel the need to bite....
I'm going to try to take a kinder tone than the other users here. We tend to get very worked up over handling issues and can sometimes end up doing the opposite of what we intended -- making the user we're trying to convince dislike us and do the opposite of what we say. I'd like to prevent that, and in the process protect you and Wellenough.

I get that you love your pet(s) -- I do too! But one thing that's really important to know is that there are some bugs that are ok for handling, and others that definitely aren't. For example, one of my favorite pet bugs is my Stenopelmatus sp., otherwise known as the Jerusalem cricket. But they are renowned for their huge jaws and highly variable temperaments, so despite occasional temptation, I do not handle it. It's the same case with your P. ornata. They're very beautiful, but the bites are very dangerous and have about a 90% chance (just my guess, not an official statistic) of sending you into intense physical pain and probably the ER.

However, if you really want to handle a tarantula, there are some species that are generally okay with you doing so. I won't get into the ethics of handling because that's very controversial and I don't really want to start a fight. Anyway, there are quite a few New World spp. that are commonly considered to be docile:
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Grammostola porteri/rosea
(sometimes, but these species are also well-known for having variable temperaments and may be crazy, completely placid, or somewhere in between when being handled)
Brachypelma albopilosum
Eupalaestrus campestratus

Any Aphonopelma sp.
That's just a short list; there are plenty of others that you will be able to handle with a much lower risk level than this. In particular, if you're interested in pretty species like pokies, I'd look into E. campestratus and Grammostola pulchripes. They're not nearly as colorful, but they're still fairly striking as adults. However, do note that each individual has its own temperament or "personality," so you may get a very aggressive T even off of the docile list -- it's more of a general guideline as to average behavior than a definitive master guide.

But please, don't handle your pokie. I ask for your own safety. There are some specimens that break the rule of being aggressive, but you still run the risk of:
- Being bitten
- Being bitten and throwing your T out of surprise
- Pokie escaping and dying in your house because it's too dry
- Pokie escaping and biting any other pets you have, probably causing death
- Accidentally dropping pokie, killing it
In any scenario involving death or escape, you will probably be grief-stricken over the loss of your beloved pet, plus if you want another one you'll have to shell out a pretty penny. Pokies aren't very cheap.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thank you for nice honest response and understand that they are considered to not want to be handled and that they are primitive and instinctual, however, I hi five her, Festes my Antilles Pink Toed plays tag with me, she's groomed her fangs on me so many times I can't count, she plays, she literally gets on the bass when my fiance plays and snuggles on the neck and just enjoys the vibration. I believe these creatures just need to be communicated with differently. I've used sounds and hand displays to get through and was looking to see if there was anyone like me, I guess I will be on my own here. Furthermore I believe that if they are instinctual like everyone says, and everyone has fesr of being bitten, well OF COURSE they're going to be bitten, but what if you could overcome the fear of that bite, I believe that spider can sense the calm just as much as they can sense the fear, the second she touches skin, if it goosebumps and gets rigid dye to instinctual human fear, then the spider feels that, but if it felt warmth and relaxation, I don't see why it would ever feel the need to bite....
I highly doubt it. Post a video of it "playing" with you.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Have you considered a youtube vlog?
You seem like a very introspective and empathic person.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I believe these creatures just need to be communicated with differently.
I use the power of my mind for mantain the contact with the Goddess* so I can guarantee that what you are saying is true :)

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
I highly doubt it. Post a video of it "playing" with you.
I will sir, happily, I will work on putting together a blog of some sort, I had no idea how much fear is seen towards these awesome creatures, they're such characters, it's all in how you interact with them

I use the power of my mind for mantain the contact with the Goddess* so I can guarantee that what you are saying is true :)

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)
Thank you thank you!! I can feel the good vibes, you are much appreciated and I will post when we make full contact!

Have you considered a youtube vlog?
You seem like a very introspective and empathic person.
I haven't just because I don't how to but I would like to look into it for sure, especially seeing how everyone has reacted to these species

Last edited by a moderator:

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
The spider does not want to be held.

She was likely having a feeding response.

Please read the bite reports here and watch them on YouTube. You are extremely irresponsible if you handle Poecilotheria on purpose.

Please provide a proper hide as well. The one in there in your other picture is practically a decoration.

Please post photos of the whole cage.

If you have to ask such basic questions, you probably should not be owning such a spider.
Also you said that she is a he, I do believe this is incorrect, she has the correct white underside markings for a female that are distinctly different than a males, I do appreciate the speculation though

What can I say, kind Lady :embarrassed:?

Thank you... I love to deliver good vibrations to others :)
Well thank you so much, I believe in good vibrations too, keep on giving!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I will sir, happily, I will work on putting together a blog of some sort, I had no idea how much fear is seen towards these awesome creatures, they're such characters, it's all in how you interact with them
Ridiculous. imo and ime.

I'd love to see you handle some of my collection .

That picture you posted was def a male. Post a few better pictures, underside and dorsal view.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
I think you mean well. However your asking for lots of trouble. Like I said, Im not

I know what your getting at girl but I think some of its too far. I am that be the tree guy when it comes to handling the few times I do. I also seem to think they "enjoy" exploring on an arm or hand sometimes. However, I truly feel you may be a bit overboard. They sense prey, predators, mates, and such through vibrations, and think you may be tripping them the hell out. As far as the little tricks and such, they may not fear you anymore, but tarantulas have a way of going bi polar all the sudden. Plenty of brave and comfy ppl have been bitten. Im a bass player and guitarist as well, i truly think the vibrations are numbing it and tripping it out if anything. I just ask you to reconsider some of it. Hey I surf with sharks, pet bees while they are on flowers, avid fisherman catch and release, handled every reptile you can imagine, try to be one with nature as much as possible, but even I think you are taking it too far. Please just think about it for a bit, however long that takes, but try to see it from all sides, it sucks sometimes to realize you may be wrong about something, if we die and find out later you were right, then my apologies lmao!

I only ask you guys take it easy on her, constructive criticism is best.

Ridiculous. imo and ime.

lmao be nice Venom lol

I know this is a hard one lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thank you for your honest decent human being response. I realize what I am getting myself into, and didn't need to hear that im going to regret her biting me, I got that, I asked for support and help. So thank you for being honest and real, and I do feel I've bonded to her, we hi five and she knows some sign signals with me, I feel like it's all on the feeling and she can sense mine as much as I feel I can sense hers, also only reason I said I felt she wanted to come out, maybe she didn't want to be handled but definitely out. I will still so my research much further, and she's not my first tarantula, I have Festes, my Antilles Pink Toed tarantula, and she hangs out with me all the time, she especially loves fumbling around in my hair, she goes straight for it sometimes, and she loves the bass guitar, she'll come out and hangout on it when my fiance plays. I deeply love and care for my two tarantulas and just want the relationship like I have with Festes with Wellenough buy completely understand they are two very different creatures. I will post updates.
Do me a favor and please explain how you high five each other? I'm just sitting here imagining your T throwing a threat pose and you slapping her leg like you guys are bro's :rofl:...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well thank you so much, I believe in good vibrations too, keep on giving!
I can only praise the Goddess* for that :)

Our hissing but benevolent, magnanimous and benign Mother teached me how to be a better man, due to my symbiosis with Her :angelic:

and, finally, one day, I decided that the moment for spread Her verb arrived. The world needs to know how sensible, lovely, and peaceful is the Goddess*.

She guide us using the good vibes she is able to deliver with the help of those unique rear legs: moving those in deep substrate burrows, she is able to produce a sound (like the drums-communication system used by mining Dwarfes in caves, just more soft) that reach the outside of the burrow and refill the heart of the listener with joy and renewed hope! :kiss:

That's only one of the reasons why I dedicate my life for spread the will of the Goddess*

*0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
Now i know how ignorant you really are. :(

Tarantula are too dumb to know what their owners are. They do not love you. Your Caribena versicolor is probably very very stressed when you play with her.

Handling is selfish and should die out entirely.
Your ignorance is holding you back from conceptualizing that these tarantulas are capable of SO much more than you think, Festess lid is open all day when I'm home amd she'll come out to me when she wants and likes to hangout on my hair while im reading, she enjoys my company, it is in short stints yes, but she doesn't usually want to get off me for a good half an hour. Also the bass she let us know she enjoyed, Wellenough doesn't come out when we play anything but Festes was scratching at her lid to get out and over time she finally crawled on to it by herself and snuggled as my fiance played, that was a happy tarantula, she definitely was not uncomfortable. I hope you can become more open for your happiness and your spiders.

Attachments

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
Do me a favor and please explain how you high five each other? I'm just sitting here imagining your T throwing a threat pose and you slapping her leg like you guys are bro's :rofl:...
Haha Festes started it, I went to try and get her out one day before she now let's herself out, and she moved all quick and touched my finger and then backed up an inch, I retracted as well, scared at first lol and then I put my finger back, about 2 inches away, she ran up touched my finger with one of hers and moved back, one day she just didn't move back and neither did I and it became a thing from There!

I hope this is a joke...
Why?

Ridiculous. imo and ime.

That picture you posted was def a male. Post a few better pictures, underside and dorsal view.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Your ignorance is holding you back from conceptualizing that these tarantulas are capable of SO much more than you think, Festess lid is open all day when I'm home amd she'll come out to me when she wants and likes to hangout on my hair while im reading, she enjoys my company, it is in short stints yes, but she doesn't usually want to get off me for a good half an hour. Also the bass she let us know she enjoyed, Wellenough doesn't come out when we play anything but Festes was scratching at her lid to get out and over time she finally crawled on to it by herself and snuggled as my fiance played, that was a happy tarantula, she definitely was not uncomfortable. I hope you can become more open for your happiness and your spiders.
I lost brain cells reading this.

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
Might I aggressively point to @Walker253 's post in agreement? That is what you risk. Fun fact: you are in no way bonding with your T's. I am sorry you think you are. Dogs show affection. Cats show affection. Some reptiles show affection. Tarantulas? Nope, not in the least. If you are so driven to handle something that could send you to a hospital, I question your motives in keeping the ornata in the first place. Just like fish, tarantulas are meant for viewing pleasure. People here are giving you great advice. If you choose to ignore it, that is your choice, but it is irrational, irresponsible, and shows you really haven't researched your tarantulas enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.