I'm going to handle my female pokie Ornata, lacking confidence...

Handle pokie Ornata?

• If the situation felt right

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • There is never a need to handle her

Votes: 52 77.6%
  • Handling her does her no benefit

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • It might be surprising and we both might enjoy it

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, this is my first online forum thread thing ever, and I'm reaching because I deeply care for my female pokie Ornata, Wellenough. She's almost two and such a character, great eater and can be very vocal, well throw her legs you know, but still. I want to hold her and she wants me to too, hard to explain, but yeah I'm just at such a point of respect, it's hard to break the barrier. I only go in her terrarium with my hands, no tongs or anything, and yesterday she came crawling out to the opening I've been trying to get her to go to to handle her and she did and I got scared and couldn't do it. My only explanation is going online has only showed me the bite threat she poses and scared me, yet she's never scared me but the first night I had her, so I'm asking for help and insight!
Thanks!

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The spider does not want to be held.

She was likely having a feeding response.

Please read the bite reports here and watch them on YouTube. You are extremely irresponsible if you handle Poecilotheria on purpose.

Please provide a proper hide as well. The one in there in your other picture is practically a decoration.

Please post photos of the whole cage.

If you have to ask such basic questions, you probably should not be owning such a spider.

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Darwin Award nominee...
Really? Why would I have any reason to believe this is anything but a troll post?
But if you're serious. do it on a Friday or Saturday night. When those fangs sink in and when the pain is so intense, you'll have a good long wait in the ER. I'm not going to try and convince you why you shouldn't do this, I hope you do. You're an adult, not some 15 year old. I hope the ornata enjoys it and doesn't get hurt.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Bad idea. You are right to lack confidence when it comes to intentionally handling a tarantula with such potent venom.

Check out the Poecilotheria bite reports. :dead:

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
I want to hold her and she wants me to too
No offense at all, but um, are you a tarantula mind reader? There's absolutely no way you could KNOW that she WANTS you to hold her. In fact, logic and experience would tell me that she DOESN'T. Tarantulas do not become bonded with their owner. She doesn't give a care WHO you are so long as she gets fed, watered and given proper housing. I would NEVER attempt to hold an old world tarantula just for the heck of it. I'm really not trying to be mean but you sound extremely inexperienced and that causes me concern for both you AND your animal. Sounds like a stupid question, but given your thread I must ask..... Are you aware of the speed and potency of a Poecilotheria sp.?

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Trying to find a way to post something here.And I got nothing.

Going to fix a sandwich and pop a beer.Time,better spent.
GEEZ!!!.:rolleyes:.

Please don't be offended.If you want to hold your P.ornata,by all means do
so.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Don't ever attempt to handle your Poeciletheria, a bite from one of these is no joke, could easily send you to the hospital. Read up more on your spider, this thread proves just how uninformed you are.

All that puts you in a precarious position...especially when you really believe it "wants to be held". I can assure you that is not the case.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The tarantula has no idea what you want to do, nor care. If you feel strongly about handling her, please read this thread, it gets better toward the end, http://arachnoboards.com/threads/poecilotheria-ornata.1901/

If you still want to do it, it is your limb and she is your tarantula, have at it. May be it won't bite you, or if it bite, it could be a dry bite, or may be you won't have any reaction to the venom. I wish you good luck.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Just please post your bite report to prevent further posts like this, thanks.

Might want to make sure you have A LOT of pain killers/ muscle relaxers on hand before you do it and get bit.

enjoy the pain/muscle spasms....

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like (if you're serious) you have good intentions about loving your pet. Tarantulas are VERY primitive animals and don't understand love. They have a super basic brain and are instinct driven.

They may be curious enough to explore and assume you're a squishy tree. Beware that if you get startled or it does for whatever reason (if there's a reason), buckle up. :anxious:

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I'm going to try to take a kinder tone than the other users here. We tend to get very worked up over handling issues and can sometimes end up doing the opposite of what we intended -- making the user we're trying to convince dislike us and do the opposite of what we say. I'd like to prevent that, and in the process protect you and Wellenough.

I get that you love your pet(s) -- I do too! But one thing that's really important to know is that there are some bugs that are ok for handling, and others that definitely aren't. For example, one of my favorite pet bugs is my Stenopelmatus sp., otherwise known as the Jerusalem cricket. But they are renowned for their huge jaws and highly variable temperaments, so despite occasional temptation, I do not handle it. It's the same case with your P. ornata. They're very beautiful, but the bites are very dangerous and have about a 90% chance (just my guess, not an official statistic) of sending you into intense physical pain and probably the ER.

However, if you really want to handle a tarantula, there are some species that are generally okay with you doing so. I won't get into the ethics of handling because that's very controversial and I don't really want to start a fight. Anyway, there are quite a few New World spp. that are commonly considered to be docile:
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Grammostola porteri/rosea
(sometimes, but these species are also well-known for having variable temperaments and may be crazy, completely placid, or somewhere in between when being handled)
Brachypelma albopilosum
Eupalaestrus campestratus

Any Aphonopelma sp.
That's just a short list; there are plenty of others that you will be able to handle with a much lower risk level than this. In particular, if you're interested in pretty species like pokies, I'd look into E. campestratus and Grammostola pulchripes. They're not nearly as colorful, but they're still fairly striking as adults. However, do note that each individual has its own temperament or "personality," so you may get a very aggressive T even off of the docile list -- it's more of a general guideline as to average behavior than a definitive master guide.

But please, don't handle your pokie. I ask for your own safety. There are some specimens that break the rule of being aggressive, but you still run the risk of:
- Being bitten
- Being bitten and throwing your T out of surprise
- Pokie escaping and dying in your house because it's too dry
- Pokie escaping and biting any other pets you have, probably causing death
- Accidentally dropping pokie, killing it
In any scenario involving death or escape, you will probably be grief-stricken over the loss of your beloved pet, plus if you want another one you'll have to shell out a pretty penny. Pokies aren't very cheap.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
Im not against handling certain tarantulas but in this case, please listen to everyone above me. Dont do it. Just enjoy it in the enclosure please. Take care girl.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Trying to find a way to post something here.And I got nothing.

Going to fix a sandwich and pop a beer.Time,better spent.
GEEZ!!!.:rolleyes:.

Please don't be offended.If you want to hold your P.ornata,by all means do
so.
Great way to enjoy a bite report! Especially a pokie bite report!

Will OP deliver?

Addison Chloe

Arachnopeon
Sounds like (if you're serious) you have good intentions about loving your pet. Tarantulas are VERY primitive animals and don't understand love. They have a super basic brain and are instinct driven.

They may be curious enough to explore and assume you're a squishy tree. Beware that if you get startled or it does for whatever reason (if there's a reason), buckle up. :anxious:
Thank you for your honest decent human being response. I realize what I am getting myself into, and didn't need to hear that im going to regret her biting me, I got that, I asked for support and help. So thank you for being honest and real, and I do feel I've bonded to her, we hi five and she knows some sign signals with me, I feel like it's all on the feeling and she can sense mine as much as I feel I can sense hers, also only reason I said I felt she wanted to come out, maybe she didn't want to be handled but definitely out. I will still so my research much further, and she's not my first tarantula, I have Festes, my Antilles Pink Toed tarantula, and she hangs out with me all the time, she especially loves fumbling around in my hair, she goes straight for it sometimes, and she loves the bass guitar, she'll come out and hangout on it when my fiance plays. I deeply love and care for my two tarantulas and just want the relationship like I have with Festes with Wellenough buy completely understand they are two very different creatures. I will post updates.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thank you for your honest decent human being response. I realize what I am getting myself into, and didn't need to hear that im going to regret her biting me, I got that, I asked for support and help. So thank you for being honest and real, and I do feel I've bonded to her, we hi five and she knows some sign signals with me, I feel like it's all on the feeling and she can sense mine as much as I feel I can sense hers, also only reason I said I felt she wanted to come out, maybe she didn't want to be handled but definitely out. I will still so my research much further, and she's not my first tarantula, I have Festes, my Antilles Pink Toed tarantula, and she hangs out with me all the time, she especially loves fumbling around in my hair, she goes straight for it sometimes, and she loves the bass guitar, she'll come out and hangout on it when my fiance plays. I deeply love and care for my two tarantulas and just want the relationship like I have with Festes with Wellenough buy completely understand they are two very different creatures. I will post updates.
Now i know how ignorant you really are. :(

Tarantula are too dumb to know what their owners are. They do not love you. Your Caribena versicolor is probably very very stressed when you play with her.

Handling is selfish and should die out entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.