Im buying my First T

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
but i already bought it . Im a beginner i thought it would look cool on my pc since my comeputer set is more on color blue. so i googled blue tarantulas so gbb and pmet comes out but gbb in my city is freaking rare so hard to find
if I understand you correctly you bought a tarantula because it matched your computer? Rehome it or return it to where you bought it. Buying a living being based on it matching your computer is not a wise idea. The tarantulas are not dangerous if treated appropriately, they can be hard to care for if you are a beginner hence why you are being warned away from them. Also in another post you said you had two tarantulas yet only mentioned one enclosure, you are not keeping them communally are you?

ArachnetheT

Arachnopeon
They’re not dangerous just leave them be lol you can’t get tagged if you keep your hands away mine never shown a threat pose but I lost it to dks . Read all the information you can find on this site about them , maybe a mod or someone can tell you a care sheet . @cold blood or someone , help this lost beginner out . I don’t know we’re the care sheets are.
I can’t understand why people don’t understand Ts are defensive not aggressive. :rofl: Op Should had gotten the pink toe .
Ts are defensive not aggressive
C. Lividus would like a word with you

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
P metallica is fast and skittish and packs medically significant venom. I been keeping Ts for over 5 years and I wouldn't even consider getting one. Just get an avic avic or C versicolor. Old world Ts don't make good pets for the vast majority of people.

Arboreal old world Ts make more sense ig, I mean at least you don't be the proud owner of a box of dirt with a hole in it.. but still.. not beginner material lol

C. Lividus would like a word with you
Yeah, while most Ts are defensive not aggressive, this is only relevant should you encounter them in the wild, it's irrelevant for the purpose of pet keeping. You will have to "intrude" on their territory if you're keeping them as pets.. things like removing mold and uneaten food, feeding, watering, rehousing and whatnot.

So yeah, most Ts are defensive.. they're not stupid enough to come after you cause they wanna eat you.. but that makes no difference for keepers.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
C versicolor
Respectfully,
Why do y'all keep recommending the least hardy tarantula to beginners? I see more posts about these dying than any other species combined. :sour:

Honestly (more trolling here, but seriously) I'd even recommend the P met to a newbie before an Avic or Versi just because you know it wont die if you care for it even half right. Avics and Versis are too fragile for someone just trying to pin down husbandry, especially as slings, which are all newbies want these days.

I mean, we don't say "Sudden Avic Death Syndrome" for nothing... (though we now know this is just that they are very fragile to husbandry mistakes)
Not a good beginner T either, IMO.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Respectfully,
Why do y'all keep recommending the least hardy tarantula to beginners? I see more posts about these dying than any other species combined. :sour:

Honestly (more trolling here, but seriously) I'd even recommend the P met to a newbie before an Avic or Versi just because you know it wont die if you care for it even half right. Avics and Versis are too fragile for someone just trying to pin down husbandry, especially as slings, which are all newbies want these days.

I mean, we don't say "Sudden Avic Death Syndrome" for nothing... (though we now know this is just that they are very fragile to husbandry mistakes)
Not a good beginner T either, IMO.
We all speak based on our experience since we're not entomologists here and we don't have academic data concerning which species are hardy and which aren't.

In my experience, C versicolor isn't nearly as fragile as most people would have you believe. They do need plenty of ventilation, including preferably cross ventilation, and don't spray their enclosure (give them a shallow water dish and that's it).

Under these conditions I haven't had one die on me. If you do husbandry right, which isn't exactly difficult, they should do just fine.

While I understand you might have had a different experience, and that's perfectly fine, the right thing to do is to share it and disagree.. not to ask others to parrot whatever you say.😉

Neither avics nor versis are what I would recommend to a first time keeper, T albopilosus, B emilia, G pulchra, A geniculata etc would be better, but if they want to start with an arboreal then these 2 would be my recommendation provided they're willing to research husbandry carefully first.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
None of this avic/versi/gbb talk even matters, as the op already has 2 P. mets. In the same enclosure.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
None of this avic/versi/gbb talk even matters, as the op already has 2 P. mets. In the same enclosure.
yeah I don’t see how people missed this news 🗞..
Good way to end up with one fat happy t . .. :(

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
While I understand you might have had a different experience, and that's perfectly fine, the right thing to do is to share it and disagree.. not to ask others to parrot whatever you say.😉
Haha, right... This is my experience, since you're wondering!

1690485117571.png ...

List goes on forever.... In Facebook groups, even moreso. You don't have to agree, but I don't need an academic paper to count up the 'HELP MY AVIC DIED' posts. In a sense, I'm just parroting what I see online.

Mine is doing great though! But I got it as an established juvenile because I didn't want the risk. I think it is important to add that they are most fragile as slings; and I did just that in my post.

1690485363860.jpeg

The care you've described is inadequate for slings of these species, from my understanding. You probably didn't keep your avic/versi slings dry with a shallow water dish, did you? This I am curious about.

Neither avics nor versis are what I would recommend to a first time keeper, T albopilosus, B emilia, G pulchra, A geniculata etc would be better, but if they want to start with an arboreal then these 2 would be my recommendation provided they're willing to research husbandry carefully first.
In terms of arboreal, avics/versis are likely the most laid back, sure, but due to their particular fragility, I would probably recommend Psalmopoeus if someone's first tarantula sling absolutely must be an arboreal (a dumb condition for a beginner!). They may be quicker, joltier, but they are far hardier too; an acceptable compromise I would say.

If they aren't planning on getting a sling then Avic/Versi away, I guess. The risk is lesser, but we've still seen husbandry related losses in juvies and adults, though.

Didn't mean to come off rude, if I did!

I'm choosing to believe it's trolling. Will help me sleep at night... :cigar:

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
The care you've described is inadequate for slings of these species, from my understanding. You probably didn't keep your avic/versi slings dry with a shallow water dish, did you? This I am curious about.
I did, I didn't keep it bone dry but close. I would add a few droplets of water to the substrate once or twice a week. The water dish was a small bottle cap. The enclosure had a lot of cross and top vent. Mine did pretty fine until I sold it.

There are also lots of accounts of keepers failing to keep Theraphosa slings alive and I have raised many without much trouble. Again, I'm just sharing what worked for me.

I didn't read the details since the op sounded like he was still building the enclosure and hadn't purchased the T.. I don't understand when people ask for advice and then do whatever they want anyway 😅 especially with keeping 2 in one enclosure.

I've heard of others keeping pokies communally, while I don't have (and don't want) a pokie, I dunno how we don't have a pile of reports and complaints of cannibalistic Ts...

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I didn't read the details since the op sounded like he was still building the enclosure and hadn't purchased the T.. I don't understand when people ask for advice and then do whatever they want anyway 😅 especially with keeping 2 in one enclosure.

I've heard of others keeping pokies communally, while I don't have (and don't want) a pokie, I dunno how we don't have a pile of reports and complaints of cannibalistic Ts...
I thought the same thing until post 19, and the op hasn’t returned since I think so it’s all just our skepticism.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I did, I didn't keep it bone dry but close. I would add a few droplets of water to the substrate once or twice a week. The water dish was a small bottle cap. The enclosure had a lot of cross and top vent. Mine did pretty fine until I sold it.
Thanks. Yeah that is moreso what I thought for versi slings. Minus the water dish. But I can see it being a decent idea. I keep my slings in small deli cups as long as possible (tom moran method). So im not sure i could fit a bottle cap.

ladyratri

Arachnopen-minded
Arachnosupporter
I think at this point most of the answers here are more for the benefit of any other new, well-meaning readers who come along in the future and stumble into this thread. Even if OP doesn't make a change to their situation as a result of it, others may see it and learn something from the feedback here.

Avics and Versis are too fragile for someone just trying to pin down husbandry, especially as slings, which are all newbies want these days.
Neither avics nor versis are what I would recommend to a first time keeper
My first T was a sub-1" avic sling (A. purpurea to be specific). My second was a 2" versicolor. I read the pinned newbie keeper posts, the AB-famous @viper69 Avicularia husbandry post, and a few of the other posts linked from those. I made mistakes, I fixed my mistakes, and both are still thriving at around 3.5" and 4". If someone has found this forum, and is reading this type of advice BEFORE they set up their enclosure and actually house a T in it, they're in a pretty good position to have success even with a sling. The reason I made mistakes was not having read enough before my avic arrived. I strongly suspect that the reasons it was not harmed by my husbandry mistakes early on were that I got the ventilation right, and I corrected the mistakes before there were any symptoms in the T -- because I was doing more research proactively rather than only when I saw something concerning.

In terms of arboreal, avics/versis are likely the most laid back, sure, but due to their particular fragility, I would probably recommend Psalmopoeus if someone's first tarantula sling absolutely must be an arboreal (a dumb condition for a beginner!). They may be quicker, joltier, but they are far hardier too; an acceptable compromise I would say.
My P. irminia sling unboxing (ok, the one that wasn't on death's door when it arrived...) was night and day different from my avic. I would have been totally unequipped for dealing with that little bugger on day 1. It's more reclusive, building itself a burrow and dirt curtains so I couldn't see it most of the time, whereas my avic had raised hammocks that made it easy to feed and monitor. The avic also grew at a rate that wasn't overwhelming. They were each about the same size when I acquired them, just under 1", the avic in Feb 2022 and the psalmo in Oct 2022. As of this June (14 months vs 8 months) they are the same size, or possibly the psalmo is now bigger with their June molts. And the speed difference is striking.

Just my experience, of course, but the order I got mine was definitely the right choice for me, and I think easily could be for plenty of other folks who are willing to do the basic research up front.

Haha, right... This is my experience, since you're wondering!
I often wonder how much of this is a combination of sheer volume/availability, and selection bias. From the bold terms, it looks like you searched something like "my versicolor died", so yes, there are plenty of threads like that...but this species is very commonly available, and we don't have a "denominator" for how many slings are out there doing just fine. Also, avics and the other related genera with the same care are some of the worst victims of terrible "care sheet" advice -- like, actively detrimental, causes new keepers to do the opposite of what the sling needs -- that I suspect the easy abundance of both the slings and the bad care advice adds up to...well, lots of hits on the aforementioned search result.

Care sheets kill, folks. Stick with AB!

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I think at this point most of the answers here are more for the benefit of any other new, well-meaning readers who come along in the future and stumble into this thread. Even if OP doesn't make a change to their situation as a result of it, others may see it and learn something from the feedback here.

My first T was a sub-1" avic sling (A. purpurea to be specific). My second was a 2" versicolor. I read the pinned newbie keeper posts, the AB-famous @viper69 Avicularia husbandry post, and a few of the other posts linked from those. I made mistakes, I fixed my mistakes, and both are still thriving at around 3.5" and 4". If someone has found this forum, and is reading this type of advice BEFORE they set up their enclosure and actually house a T in it, they're in a pretty good position to have success even with a sling. The reason I made mistakes was not having read enough before my avic arrived. I strongly suspect that the reasons it was not harmed by my husbandry mistakes early on were that I got the ventilation right, and I corrected the mistakes before there were any symptoms in the T -- because I was doing more research proactively rather than only when I saw something concerning.

My P. irminia sling unboxing (ok, the one that wasn't on death's door when it arrived...) was night and day different from my avic. I would have been totally unequipped for dealing with that little bugger on day 1. It's more reclusive, building itself a burrow and dirt curtains so I couldn't see it most of the time, whereas my avic had raised hammocks that made it easy to feed and monitor. The avic also grew at a rate that wasn't overwhelming. They were each about the same size when I acquired them, just under 1", the avic in Feb 2022 and the psalmo in Oct 2022. As of this June (14 months vs 8 months) they are the same size, or possibly the psalmo is now bigger with their June molts. And the speed difference is striking.

Just my experience, of course, but the order I got mine was definitely the right choice for me, and I think easily could be for plenty of other folks who are willing to do the basic research up front.

I often wonder how much of this is a combination of sheer volume/availability, and selection bias. From the bold terms, it looks like you searched something like "my versicolor died", so yes, there are plenty of threads like that...but this species is very commonly available, and we don't have a "denominator" for how many slings are out there doing just fine. Also, avics and the other related genera with the same care are some of the worst victims of terrible "care sheet" advice -- like, actively detrimental, causes new keepers to do the opposite of what the sling needs -- that I suspect the easy abundance of both the slings and the bad care advice adds up to...well, lots of hits on the aforementioned search result.

Care sheets kill, folks. Stick with AB!
Better question is why so many bad care sheets even exist , because who wrote them they’re practically for semi wet loving amphibians… :banghead:
They’re the bane of the hobby as I’ve been told. Outdated misinformation..,

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
Oof, what a mess. Mistakes have been made but what's done is done. Let's try to look at the situation and see how we can make the best of it.

OP, you have two options:
1. Return the spiders to the seller
or
2. Keep them

In my opinion - and I know the overwhelming majority of other keepers will agree with me - the very best thing you can do is return them. A scared/uncomfortable keeper is a bad keeper and accidents are more than likely to happen if you don't have experience keeping very fast, unpredictable animals. Slap on the fact that their venom is potent and that the living situation they're in isn't ideal (more on that later) and you've got a recipe for a nasty bite in the making.
You shouldn't have to keep dealing animals you're not comfortable having in your home, and the tarantulas deserve to be with a keeper who knows what they're doing.

It's okay to make mistakes and the best you can do is own up to them.

You mentioned you're in a city and I presume you bought the tarantulas in person somewhere. The best thing you can do is ask the person you bought them from to come get them, alternatively if you can take the enclosure with you back to them. You shouldn't deal with trying to capture them yourself. If the person is unwilling to take them back, try posting an add. P. metallicas are sought after spiders in the hobby and hopefully you wouldn't have any trouble finding someone willing to buy them from you and come and get them off your hands. Even if you have to sell them at a loss, I'd urge you to do that rather than keep them.

IF for some reason you want to keep them (I urge you to please reconsider) or for some other unknown reason can't get rid of them yet... here's my advice to you:

1. You mentioned you have two - if they are in the same enclosure, you'll more than likely not have two for very long. If that is the case I'm torn whether or not you should even try to remove one of them. Dealing with one tarantula is enough as it is if you're inexperienced, but two is almost impossible. I don't want you to lose one of the spiders but I also do not want you to get bit. But be prepared to only have one fat spider one day.

2. Read all you can here on the boards. Use the search function and look up the exact care for these tarantulas. Having the right care is key to keeping any animal, especially those that can give you a hard time if unhappy. A happy tarantula is not going to be defensive as often and will hide away rather than try and fight you.
Here are some threads for you to start of with:
+ one on venom and it's symptoms:

3. Look up rehousings of not only P. mets but all sorts of pokies and other quick spiders on YouTube. Especially those that don't go to plan. Normally us AB folks scoff at all things tarantula on YouTube (with a few exceptions, such as Tom Moran on Tom's big spiders, Dave on Dave's little beasties, and Liquifin/Laxow) but they can serve a great purpose: to show us what not to do and how things can go wrong. If those videos where a tarantula shoots up someone's arm or races around its enclosure makes you break out in a cold sweat, you might need to reconsider keeping them.

4. Get in touch with other local keepers, preferably someone who has experience with Poecilotheria/pokies. Go look at their spiders and see how things are done, feedings and maintenance and what not. Have them over at your place and have them look over your care. Reading and looking at stuff online only teaches you that much while hands on experience is the best teacher you can have.

5. Ask us here on Arachnoboards for advice if you're concerned about anything. You came to the right place and we are more than happy to help you deal with the situation. Sometimes the criticism might sound harsh but it's because we only want what's best for you and most importantly your tarantula. Listen to the advice given and all will be well.

This became a long post but I hope you read through it all and that you're giving this a long good think. I still very much urge you to sell/return the tarantulas. As I said, mistakes have been made and that's okay as long as you're willing to learn from them. The very last thing I want is for you to get bit.

Feel free to continue asking questions in this thread or create a new one. A couple of pictures of your enclosure(s) would also help if for some reason you can't return the spiders soon or (God forbid) decide to keep them.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Oof, what a mess. Mistakes have been made but what's done is done. Let's try to look at the situation and see how we can make the best of it.

or
2. Keep them

In my opinion - and I know the overwhelming majority of other keepers will agree with me - the very best thing you can do is return them. A scared/uncomfortable keeper is a bad keeper and accidents are more than likely to happen if you don't have experience keeping very fast, unpredictable animals. Slap on the fact that their venom is potent and that the living situation they're in isn't ideal (more on that later) and you've got a recipe for a nasty bite in the making.
You shouldn't have to keep dealing animals you're not comfortable having in your home, and the tarantulas deserve to be with a keeper who knows what they're doing.

You mentioned you're in a city and I presume you bought the tarantulas in person somewhere. The best thing you can do is ask the person you bought them from to come get them, alternatively if you can take the enclosure with you back to them. You shouldn't deal with trying to capture them yourself. If the person is unwilling to take them back, try posting an add. P. metallicas are sought after spiders in the hobby and hopefully you wouldn't have any trouble finding someone willing to buy them from you and come and get them off your hands. Even if you have to sell them at a loss, I'd urge you to do that rather than keep them.

IF for some reason you want to keep them (I urge you to please reconsider) or for some other unknown reason can't get rid of them yet... here's my advice to you:

1. You mentioned you have two - if they are in the same enclosure, you'll more than likely not have two for very long. If that is the case I'm torn whether or not you should even try to remove one of them. Dealing with one tarantula is enough as it is if you're inexperienced, but two is almost impossible. I don't want you to lose one of the spiders but I also do not want you to get bit. But be prepared to only have one fat spider one day.

2. Read all you can here on the boards. Use the search function and look up the exact care for these tarantulas. Having the right care is key to keeping any animal, especially those that can give you a hard time if unhappy. A happy tarantula is not going to be defensive as often and will hide away rather than try and fight you.

3. Look up rehousings of not only P. mets but all sorts of pokies and other quick spiders on YouTube. Especially those that don't go to plan. Normally us AB folks scoff at all things tarantula on YouTube (with a few exceptions, such as Tom Moran on Tom's big spiders, Dave on Dave's little beasties, and Liquifin/Laxow) but they can serve a great purpose: to show us what not to do and how things can go wrong. If those videos where a tarantula shoots up someone's arm or races around its enclosure makes you break out in a cold sweat, you might need to reconsider keeping them.

4. Get in touch with other local keepers, preferably someone who has experience with Poecilotheria/pokies. Go look at their spiders and see how things are done, feedings and maintenance and what not. Have them over at your place and have them look over your care. Reading and looking at stuff online only teaches you that much while hands on experience is the best teacher you can have.

5. Ask us here on Arachnoboards for advice if you're concerned about anything. You came to the right place and we are more than happy to help you deal with the situation. Sometimes the criticism might sound harsh but it's because we only want what's best for you and most importantly your tarantula. Listen to the advice given and all will be well.

This became a long post but I hope you read through it all and that you're giving this a long good think. I still very much urge you to sell/return the tarantulas. As I said, mistakes have been made and that's okay as long as you're willing to learn from them. The very last thing I want is for you to get bit.

Feel free to continue asking questions in this thread or create a new one. A couple of pictures of your enclosure(s) would also help if for some reason you can't return the spiders soon or (God forbid) decide to keep them.
With proper experience around fast spiders & 💨 animals none of this essay would be needed . Op is way over their head 🥵👑👑.. that said p met was chillest pokie I ever owned I miss it . Not that this is always true . Teleporters ! Blink and it’s gone ..
Great post plenty of info for the op .
Best of luck 🍀..

Last edited:

ArachnetheT

Arachnopeon

or
2. Keep them

And I’ll add a tiny bit to this, for both OP and any other seekers of blue tarantulas;

6: If you simply must have a blue tarantula but aren’t able to handle the speed, biteyness and husbandry requirements of P. Metallica, try Brachypelma Albiceps. It’s a Brachypelma, and therefore is very slow, even tempered, and doesn’t bite (or at the very least, doesn’t have medically significant venom.)

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
And I’ll add a tiny bit to this, for both OP and any other seekers of blue tarantulas;

6: If you simply must have a blue tarantula but aren’t able to handle the speed, biteyness and husbandry requirements of P. Metallica, try Brachypelma Albiceps. It’s a Brachypelma, and therefore is very slow, even tempered, and doesn’t bite (or at the very least, doesn’t have medically significant venom.)
Agreed! Though I'm not particularly thrilled at OP's wish to match the hue of an animal to his furniture, if you absolutely must there are so many more or less blue Ts that's better to start with than P. metallica.