Im buying my First T

jooo143

Arachnopeon
Which is called Pmet . Im building my enclo to my pmet but i really want to put a lights on top of the enclo so it would look cool on my table . Anyone ? Can i take advice from?

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
I would advise you to not get a P. Met as a first T. Typically they are lighting fast, very skittish, have potent venom, and can be difficult to care for if you have never cared for a tarantula before. Go with a beginner species to gain experience before you get the P. Met.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Which is called Pmet . Im building my enclo to my pmet but i really want to put a lights on top of the enclo so it would look cool on my table . Anyone ? Can i take advice from?
Get a avic … if possible instead . That was my first t.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Will you be getting a small spiderling or a large adult spider?

What kinds of enclosures are you considering?

i posted some examples of arboreal spiderling enclosures here:
note that there should always be cross-ventilation/air-circulation, so having 2 seperate areas of ventilation, ether on opposing sides, or one down low and the other in the lid, are important.

As the others have said it is usually advised against getting a Poecilotheria as your first spider because of the medically significant venom. If you are vigilant and don't take any risks it should be fine. I say this because i think, considering your home country, you probably have some experience or knowlege dealing with higly venomous wildlife that most of us dont have at the beginning.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Will you be getting a small spiderling or a large adult spider?

What kinds of enclosures are you considering?

i posted some examples of arboreal spiderling enclosures here:
note that there should always be cross-ventilation/air-circulation, so having 2 seperate areas of ventilation, ether on opposing sides, or one down low and the other in the lid, are important.

As the others have said it is usually advised against getting a Poecilotheria as your first spider because of the medically significant venom. If you are vigilant and don't take any risks it should be fine. I say this because i think consideting your home country you probably have some experience or knowlege dealing with higly venomous wildlife that most of us dont have at the beginning.
One word describes any fast aboreal like a pokie - teleporter.. so if op gets one be prepared. Blink and it’s gone …during rehouse . I’ve had many escapes.
I still suggest a avic . Or g rosea .

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I also would not recommend an advanced spider to someone without prior experience. Looking at the reason for this post being, "so it would look cool on my table," makes me think you may not be prepared for a spider this fast and with specialized needs in care. I get it, pokies are beautiful, but maybe start with one that's a bit tamer first. Just my .02

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Terrible species to get as your first.

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
Don’t get a P. Metallica as your first tarantula

quirinus

Arachnoknight
Before reading the replies i already knew what they would tell you.
If you're going to ignore all the warnings and it MUST be a Poecilotheria as first T (which would not be smart), at least get an adult that you can put in the final enclosure straightaway.
But it really isn't a good idea anyway, chances are high you will regret it.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
New snake keepers don't go get a King Cobra as their first snake just because it has a hood. I would say looks aren't everything, but luckily, with the species I'll mention below, you won't have to compromise on beauty!!! Yay!

If you really must have a blue tarantula, just get a dang GBB. I have my GBB and P Met side by side right now, GBB is prettier, hands down. The hue of blue is insane, complimented by a teal and orange.
My juvenile GBB looks even more stunning, sporting a shade of pearlescent blue that is indescribable and like nothing I've seen before.

1690396658156.png
- Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue)

These are much less stressful, cheaper, slow movers, cool webs, and have straightforward care. They change color as they grow so you get a stunning and exciting new look with each molt. Nothing bad to say about GBB really.
Many keeper/collectors consider this species to be the best pet tarantula.

I could talk trash on P met all day. They poop on the walls, have unpredictable behavior, and carry one of the most painful bites of all T's. I personally don't like working with mine because it spazzes just from looking at it to closely, let alone opening its enclosure. TBH, it stresses me out. You could blink, and your P Metallica will be on the ceiling...

At the end of the day, you will do you. Most of us here just tend to think it goofy when a new keeper goes straight to the expensive, dangerous T before they've even tried keeping an easier, calmer one alive.
We tend to think it selfish for the animals. But, if you are so confident, at the end of the day it's still just a big fast spider, not unlike most tarantulas. They can all mess you up if you don't respect their boundaries.

Happy Tarantuling!

Last edited:

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
This person has not been back since they posted it....
I know I just like to hype GBBs when the opportunity arrives. They are undeniably one of the best!

And I often seriously find myself wondering why blue T cravin' prodigal newbies are more drawn to Gootys than GBBs. The GBB makes a Gooty look like an Aphonopelma. :troll:

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
Like a snake keeper saying im getting the king 👑 cobra who needs the ball python as a first pet .
This why I like you man. I literally made the exact same parallel above in my post here about the GBB haha. Assuming you didn't see that, great minds or however the saying goes. Haha!

jooo143

Arachnopeon
I also would not recommend an advanced spider to someone without prior experience. Looking at the reason for this post being, "so it would look cool on my table," makes me think you may not be prepared for a spider this fast and with specialized needs in care. I get it, pokies are beautiful, but maybe start with one that's a bit tamer first. Just my .02
but i already bought it :( they are about 2inches . 2 ungendered pmet. And one more i really have a problem about my enclosure cause since im in the city i cant find a small drift wood that can fit into my enclo . im planning to put some vertically cut 12 inch acrylic cup . is it okay? please help

I would advise you to not get a P. Met as a first T. Typically they are lighting fast, very skittish, have potent venom, and can be difficult to care for if you have never cared for a tarantula before. Go with a beginner species to gain experience before you get the P. Met.
but i already bought it . Im a beginner i thought it would look cool on my pc since my comeputer set is more on color blue. so i googled blue tarantulas so gbb and pmet comes out but gbb in my city is freaking rare so hard to find

Seeing all the replys it makes me uncomfortable since my enclo with my 2 pmets are in my table beside my pc and my bed

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Seeing all the replys it makes me uncomfortable since my enclo with my 2 pmets are in my table beside my pc and my bed
They’re not dangerous just leave them be lol you can’t get tagged if you keep your hands away mine never shown a threat pose but I lost it to dks . Read all the information you can find on this site about them , maybe a mod or someone can tell you a care sheet . @cold blood or someone , help this lost beginner out . I don’t know we’re the care sheets are.
I can’t understand why people don’t understand Ts are defensive not aggressive. :rofl: Op Should had gotten the pink toe .