I got two pokies

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
I honestly don't get the big deal about owning pokies or even handling them. As long as you've done research beforehand and know what to expect, hell get one as your first T. Granted, you've done extensive research on husbandry.

Besides the speed of pokies, new worlds have been more of a hassle for me, especially with the urticating hairs. The only time I've been intimidated by my pokie is during premolt for obvious reasons.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I honestly don't get the big deal about owning pokies or even handling them. As long as you've done research beforehand and know what to expect, hell get one as your first T. Granted, you've done extensive research on husbandry.

Besides the speed of pokies, new worlds have been more of a hassle for me, especially with the urticating hairs. The only time I've been intimidated by my pokie is during premolt for obvious reasons.
That's interesting. My pokies are absolute SLUGS during premolt. That's the easiest time to do stuff with them. Pokies are intimidating when they are large and have a tendency to bolt. There are faster species, for sure. But I think it's a combination of size, speed, and venom potency that gets people on edge about pokies. Also, not all pokies are created equal;)

When it comes to handling Ts, it comes down to preference. But you will find a majority of people on here do not handle their Ts, even the "puppy dog" species. It pretty agreed upon in this community that handling is of no benefit to the T, and puts you AND them at risk. Way different from a cat or dog that actually wants that attention from you.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight

True that NW can be more annoying with their hairs (looking at your LP's and T. Blondi's) but for the *most* part, at the end of the day there are very few NW that will put you in the hospital or ruin your week(or possibly even kill you if you have a severe allergic reaction without medical attention, though thats rare even for pokies from what I've seen)

but you are right its all about research and knowing enough about husbandry.
Some examples are, theres a guy at a local shop here in Phoenix, who's first T when he was 14 or 15, was an OBT. he's never been bit by it and has never had an issues, and several years later is now a successful Breeder of multiple species and owns multiple pokies and such.

But at the same time, i know a girl who nearly went blind because she got a G. Pulchripes as her first T and decided it would be fun to handle and when she held it in her hand by her face to "get a good look", she kind of half sneezed and got a very nasty hair kick literally right into her eyes (was a ~4.5" Female and there were a LOT of hairs, and it was maybe ~3" from her eyes). she ended up dropping it and being half blinded and crying in pain, her little brother(11 years old, and admittedly a hell of a lot smarter then her) had to struggle to gather it up into a deli cup, while it was in a VERY defensive threat posture(for good reasons obviously) and get it back into its enclosure. he ended up getting bit, and even with how young he was he was fine after that, but imagine if instead of a G. Pulchripes, it was a P. Regalis? the kid could have easily been hospitalized or worse.

so at the end of the day any T could be dangerous or painful if the t KEEPER is irresponsible. its all about knowing what you have and understanding that its not "just a spider" its a living animal, a venomous animal, and at the end of the day CB or not, its still a WILD animal.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
True that NW can be more annoying with their hairs (looking at your LP's and T. Blondi's) but for the *most* part, at the end of the day there are very few NW that will put you in the hospital or ruin your week(or possibly even kill you if you have a severe allergic reaction without medical attention, though thats rare even for pokies from what I've seen)

but you are right its all about research and knowing enough about husbandry.
Some examples are, theres a guy at a local shop here in Phoenix, who's first T when he was 14 or 15, was an OBT. he's never been bit by it and has never had an issues, and several years later is now a successful Breeder of multiple species and owns multiple pokies and such.

But at the same time, i know a girl who nearly went blind because she got a G. Pulchripes as her first T and decided it would be fun to handle and when she held it in her hand by her face to "get a good look", she kind of half sneezed and got a very nasty hair kick literally right into her eyes (was a ~4.5" Female and there were a LOT of hairs, and it was maybe ~3" from her eyes). she ended up dropping it and being half blinded and crying in pain, her little brother(11 years old, and admittedly a hell of a lot smarter then her) had to struggle to gather it up into a deli cup, while it was in a VERY defensive threat posture(for good reasons obviously) and get it back into its enclosure. he ended up getting bit, and even with how young he was he was fine after that, but imagine if instead of a G. Pulchripes, it was a P. Regalis? the kid could have easily been hospitalized or worse.

so at the end of the day any T could be dangerous or painful if the t KEEPER is irresponsible. its all about knowing what you have and understanding that its not "just a spider" its a living animal, a venomous animal, and at the end of the day CB or not, its still a WILD animal.
Couldn't have said it any better.

I'll admit that I sometimes handle my T's to show and educate my friends that tarantulas are not blood thirsty creatures. I've had new friends come to my apartment and run out as soon as they see my huge P.metallica display. After a little education and letting her take a stroll in my hands, the said friends all of a sudden become fascinated haha

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon

I'll admit that I sometimes handle my T's to show and educate my friends that tarantulas are not blood thirsty creatures. I've had new friends come to my apartment and run out as soon as they see my huge P.metallica display. After a little education and letting her take a stroll in my hands, the said friends all of a sudden become fascinated haha
Please don't handle your metallica anymore. If you happen to do something that scares her, you'll get tagged. And if you get tagged, you will be crying for two reasons: 1) You'll be in immense pain. 2) Your spider might be injured/killed from your knee-jerk response to the bite.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Please don't handle your metallica anymore. If you happen to do something that scares her, you'll get tagged. And if you get tagged, you will be crying for two reasons: 1) You'll be in immense pain. 2) Your spider might be injured/killed from your knee-jerk response to the bite.
Sir, yes sir. Thank you for your concern

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight

well now, normally i don't recommend people handling their tarantula's, but its all up to you, but if you are doing it for the purpose of showing somebody that they are NOT vicious, i would HIGHLY recommend not doing it with a P. Met.
again, personally i don't think you should do it at all, BUT if you are going to, at least do it with something that might not get spooked and run straight up your neck or across the room, or god forbid, onto said friend who is already afraid of it!. because thats either going to end in it getting smashed or thrown and probably dead.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
well now, normally i don't recommend people handling their tarantula's, but its all up to you, but if you are doing it for the purpose of showing somebody that they are NOT vicious, i would HIGHLY recommend not doing it with a P. Met.
again, personally i don't think you should do it at all, BUT if you are going to, at least do it with something that might not get spooked and run straight up your neck or across the room, or god forbid, onto said friend who is already afraid of it!. because thats either going to end in it getting smashed or thrown and probably dead.
Exactly:) I'm not one to say "no" when there's a good educational opportunity. But choose something like a Chaco or Euathlus red for handling, if you're going to. Least likely to cause problems. Not impossible, but far less likely. I bring my pokies to class for my students all the time! Never for handling. Their beauty alone usually wins the hearts of even the most arachnophobic people. People who shudder at the word spider will look at my Carla and shout "OMG it's blue!! I can't believe it's blue! I love it!!"

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Exactly:) I'm not one to say "no" when there's a good educational opportunity. But choose something like a Chaco or Euathlus red for handling, if you're going to. Least likely to cause problems. Not impossible, but far less likely. I bring my pokies to class for my students all the time! Never for handling. Their beauty alone usually wins the hearts of even the most arachnophobic people. People who shudder at the word spider will look at my Carla and shout "OMG it's blue!! I can't believe it's blue! I love it!!"
exactly, and at th very least, imagine dropping and killing a Matured P. Met? a few hundreds down the drain literally right there.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Excuse that dislike, I meant to hit the green arrow for agree. Can I reverse that?

Anyways, you both bring good points. This might be a great excuse to pick up a nicely-sized new world spieces since I only have p.metallicas at the moment. Any recommendations? I don't know much about the new world species

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Excuse that dislike, I meant to hit the green arrow for agree. Can I reverse that?

Anyways, you both bring good points. This might be a great excuse to pick up a nicely-sized new world spieces since I only have p.metallicas at the moment. Any recommendations? I don't know much about the new world species

LOTS of good suggestions!

Lets narrow it down.
which of the following interests you most?

Vibrant colors.
Large or massive in size.
Always out on display.
Hardy or long lived.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Seriously? Anyone holding a pokie on purpose deserves to get bit.

I hope you take people's advice and stop holding these little ones. How else would you try to not get bit other than by trying to not hold them?

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
LOTS of good suggestions!

Lets narrow it down.
which of the following interests you most?

Vibrant colors.
Large or massive in size.
Always out on display.
Hardy or long lived.
Hmm well, it'll be a display T for sure. I'd prefer a species that wasn't known to kick hairs often (or at all) and a webber. Colors and size would just be extra since I already have a P.met for display

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Well, if size is what you're after, Chacos (Grammostola pulchripes) get pretty hefty. And they're a very attractive spider. The classic Mexican Red Knee (Brachypelma smithi) is also another good choice. And if you want interesting behaviors and color, there's a huge diversity of Avicularia spp. that should keep you occupied;) They're more flighty, but not unreasonable. And great thing with avics is they don't kick hairs.

Once again, I still don't advocate handling. Not that I never have, I just don't find the desire to for many reasons. But if you must, the above species are your safest bet. Bites and temperament are mild.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hmm well, it'll be a display T for sure. I'd prefer a species that wasn't known to kick hairs often (or at all) and a webber. Colors and size would just be extra since I already have a P.met for display
If you like colorful webbers, you can't go wrong with Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue). But I wouldn't handle those.

There are some webbing species with no urticating hairs, like Dolichothele diamantinensis (Brazilian blue dwarf beauty) and Neoholothele incei (Trinidad olive/gold). These are too skittish to handle though.

If you absolutely must handle, the genera Euathlus, Grammostola, Aphonopelma, and Brachypelma tend to be more docile. Try to minimize handling, and always do so within a few inches of a soft surface so that if the tarantula falls (or is dropped), it doesn't risk a lethal fall. Keep a catch cup nearby.