I got two pokies

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Older responsible people are almost never the people we see getting an OW as their first or way too quickly.
I don't know about that. I was at a retirement home, and plenty of senior citizens were walking around with Pokies, first time T owners. I think times have changed.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I agree on the tube bark vs flat slabs and on that note one thing I love to do is to drill a 2-3 inch hole somewhere in the center so that the T has several entrance/exit points in its hide.

Here are pics of my 8x8x12 Exo Terras for some of my 3" pokies to help give an idea for a set up.
pokie set up.jpg
pokie set up 2.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
I agree on the tube bark vs flat slabs and on that note one thing I love to do is to drill a 2-3 inch hole somewhere in the center so that the T has several entrance/exit points in its hide.

Here are pics of my 8x8x12 Exo Terras for some of my 3" pokies to help give an idea for a set up.
View attachment 230137
View attachment 230138
To be honest I like the fact I know my 2 only have one exit. It makes things easier knowing where they will come from. Plus if you have to do some serious reworking within the enclosure you can block off the top.

That said I have something similar in with my Avicularia versicolor and love the fact there's a hole.

ArachnoAddict

Arachnopeon
Say, I don't live anywhere near you guys, T keeping in my location isn't really common. I live in South East Asia, particularly the Philippines
I meant not handling them when they're bigger or have grown to a considerable size to deliver quite the bite, sizes like these can still give out a painful bite? I've never been bitten by any of my Ts, all the hate I'm getting right now is because I prefer to choose a pokie instead of a better beginner tarantula? and because I chose to handle my T? Wish we could trade places and you could try looking for a better beginner arboreal for me. Fairly glad I made my decision, I admit I messed up handling it but I will do everything to take care of these slings

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I apologize if I sounded rude. I really can't talk about whether or not you should or shouldn't have bought the Regalis. One of my very first is a Pokie as well. My only concern/issue really was the handling of them. If what I know of other venomous animals carries over to Ts, then if your slings can bite you, it still will be most unpleasant.
I definitely hope you never find out firsthand and I also hope those Regalis mature into healthy adults.
Again, I apologize for any animosity you felt from my earlier post.

ArachnoAddict

Arachnopeon
This was NEVER my first choice for an arboreal. Reading back the recent comments I read that I was getting so much hate because I got a pokie, I would like to see you buy a good beginner tarantula in my location, little resources and the tarantulas available aren't suitable to newbies.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
I meant not handling them when they're bigger or have grown to a considerable size to deliver quite the bite, sizes like these can still give out a painful bite?
I'm not sure about Pokies specifically since I haven't done much research into them seeing I don't have one and no plans to get one atm. However I'm getting a P. Muticus (King Baboon) and I've read that even specimens as small as 1cm can deliver extremely painful bites. I don't know if their venom is comparable or anything but it really is common sense not to handle something that can really cause you a great deal of pain.

I think that's what's everyone trying to get across. Personally I've got nothing against getting a Pokie instead of an Avic Avic, although I'm really glad for the safe arboreal experience mine has given me.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Say, I don't live anywhere near you guys, T keeping in my location isn't really common. I live in South East Asia, particularly the Philippines
I meant not handling them when they're bigger or have grown to a considerable size to deliver quite the bite, sizes like these can still give out a painful bite? I've never been bitten by any of my Ts, all the hate I'm getting right now is because I prefer to choose a pokie instead of a better beginner tarantula? and because I chose to handle my T? Wish we could trade places and you could try looking for a better beginner arboreal for me. Fairly glad I made my decision, I admit I messed up handling it but I will do everything to take care of these slings
What ticked me off was your post saying 'i'm scared' etc, which was promptly followed by pictures of you handling.
There have been more keepers from the Phillipines here with questions about keeping certain species, so there are better options than a pokie for a first arboreal. But that is your choice. I don't mind you getting a pokie, but be responsible about it. If it escapes it is not only your health on the line, but everyone in your neighborhood. If a pokie escapes here in the Netherlands in winter, it won't survive due to the cold. If it escapes from your place, it will make a nice nest in someone's home because your climate resembles its native habitat.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
As mentioned, P. cams are abundant and cheap across the globe and also just happen to be the best prep for a pokie.

Yes, but they're not a necessity. I use leaned wood as well with basically the same results you get with cork...both are great and both options work equally well.

That would be the face palm emoji...unfortunately only paying users get to use it. I see more use for that emoji then all others at times:)

I agree with the second parts, but wholeheartedly disagree with the first part. Experience is invaluable when dealing with faster, more venomous species. To me its just common sense...just as you wouldn't get a mamba as your first ever snake.

But for as fast as an escaped mamba would disappear, an OW t would disappear twice as fast...poof, right into something you never even realized had a crease or hole in it.

They're certainly not all always "easy to deal with". Experience allows you to deal with these times when they aren't so easy to deal with much more seamlessly. Without experience, its often advantage OW tarantula.

People that are old enough and responsible enough should logically see that certain things require experience...no? Older responsible people are almost never the people we see getting an OW as their first or way too quickly. This (for the good of the hobby) isn't, and shouldn't be, an instant gratification hobby...these are fast, venomous animals as we all know....its not a game, its a hobby or an interest and one to be taken seriously.
No, i'm pretty sure i wanted the wall emoji :D

gobey

Arachnoknight
A pokie that size can give you a bite that will ruin your day if not a couple of days

And I don't mean like ow I have a bite that hurts and swells I mean like I'm calling out of work because moving and getting out of bed is a hassle and painful

At any size as well they're fast enough to disappear in a blink of an eye if they're outside of their enclosures

That's why people are giving you flak

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I meant not handling them when they're bigger or have grown to a considerable size to deliver quite the bite, sizes like these can still give out a painful bite?
As long as the fangs pierce your skin, you are in for a "fun" day if you are bit. Smaller venomous animals are no less venomous than adults. Venomous animals are born more or less as miniature adults.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
A sling can still bite, and put you in just as much pain. And are way easier to lose at that size. So yeah, you received criticism for your handling. Think of it as a campfire..... you can enjoy the view and the warmth you get from it. But you really shouldn't pick up one of those logs:D

In regards to experience level, I can tell you that my very first T ever was an avic, and my second one was a P. metallica. So, as long as you do your research, it's not a problem.

In regards to enclosures, I'm a huge fan of cork tubes that are positioned to face the front of the enclosure. As long as it's deep enough, the spider will feel plenty secure. And you can see them whenever you want by using a flashlight. I set up my P. rufilata with a leaning cork slab, and am not a fan of that setup. She decided to burrow under the slab, and the opening to the burrow faces toward the back of the enclosure. So, she's a spider I pretty much never see:meh: A tube facing the front also makes feeding a breeze.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
pokie sling enclosure im currently using for my P. subfusca highland sp. sling.

Basically i will just mimic that setup as it grows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know about that. I was at a retirement home, and plenty of senior citizens were walking around with Pokies, first time T owners. I think times have changed.
Including someone acting like Scatman Crothers in "Twilight Zone: the movie" ? :-s