I got two pokies

ArachnoAddict

Arachnopeon
Scared and Excited at the same time
It's nerve racking! I've kept T's now for 3 years, well only Terrestrials but I get the basics to T keeping, I feel like I'm ready to move onto Arboreals, I know.. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU GET A POKIE?! Well most of the good beginner arboreals are not really *that* easy to find. So.. I got a pokie
Any tips?
I know! DO NOT GET BIT!, that's just basic common sense, I'm hoping to get tips like enclosure ideas, cheap methods and how to choose the perfect bark for my T.
Regalis A (Name is TBD)
16395879_10207371168589776_534202128_n.jpg
Regalis B (Name is also TBD)
16176070_10207371176229967_215336196_n.jpg

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Why are you saying "do not get bit" when you are handling them? Please don't do that.

Enclosures are pretty simple for Pokies. I like cork bark leaned up against the side and a water bottle cap as a water dish. Some sphagnum moss at the base to keep it a bit moist.

Last edited:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I hear many pokies prefer cork tubes to flat bark, but either way my only pokie has started eating and webbing with a bark slab. But I don't understand why you'd ever go for a pokie. P. cambridgei are cheap, huge, and found nearly everywhere. Just me though, all you need is slightly moist sub, bark, and a water dish. Although you may want to give them a lot more substarte than another arboreal. They tend to be semi-arboreal, especially at that size. 2-3" would help them create burrows, web curtains, etc. Good luck with your new arboreal, just PLEASE don't hold it ;) Knowing getting bit is bad and putting yourself into the position to get bit es no bueno.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not sure if it's a troll post as you state you won't get bit then post handling pics. Anyway.

Obviously your enclosures will differ whilst they're small. But this is how I keep my 2 adults. Cork bark tube buried to the bottom of the sub and a plant. Simple.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Not that I own any Pokies (yet...) but I'd say the easiest way of getting bitten is by handling them, so why? -__- My OBT is smaller than those and I wouldn't touch it with my fingers since I kinda want to keep those tyvm. :p

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Those pictures are the opposite affect of what I perceive that you intend. Why are you handling them? First, I smell a bit of a troll. I doubt you post again but I hope I'm wrong. Second, that's a really fast way of getting bit and losing your pokies...

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Holy hell...have you read any of the bite reports for P. regalis? (Spoilers: up to 3 weeks of pain and muscle spasms all over your body, and some time in the hospital.) Handling them is most unwise.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I hear many pokies prefer cork tubes to flat bark, but either way my only pokie has started eating and webbing with a bark slab. But I don't understand why you'd ever go for a pokie. P. cambridgei are cheap, huge, and found nearly everywhere. Just me though, all you need is slightly moist sub, bark, and a water dish. Although you may want to give them a lot more substarte than another arboreal. They tend to be semi-arboreal, especially at that size. 2-3" would help them create burrows, web curtains, etc. Good luck with your new arboreal, just PLEASE don't hold it ;) Knowing getting bit is bad and putting yourself into the position to get bit es no bueno.
yeah I keep my sub-adult female Psalmo with a cork tube and she seems to love it. My Pokies are juvies so when they get rehoused I'll give them the same.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
yeah I keep my sub-adult female Psalmo with a cork tube and she seems to love it. My Pokies are juvies so when they get rehoused I'll give them the same.
When I next rehouse my rufilata (or get another species at a nice size in a few months ;)) I want to try a cork tube. So far, she has destroyed her small burrow for molting and has started to open up and use the back of the hide. Should use it for my Psalmo, but she doesn't want to molt at all. I just want a 10" beast already! :D

Last edited:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Ok, I'm sure I will be reprimanded since I am new to the hobby, and have a P. fasciata sling. Not to mention I am almost the pot calling the kettle black... But seriously, why on earth would you handle them? That was the first info I learned after seeing Poecilotheria. Safest way to never get bit, never own one. Second to that is to NEVER handle them.
Posts like this really help me understand why Pokies are never recommended for a novice.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I personally don't believe in the "you need experience to own an OW" opinion. If you're old enough and responsibile enough I honestly don't see a problem with buying any T as you're first IF (notice it's a big if) you're familiar with it's care AND you know the possible dangers.

And OW T isn't a black mamba. They're extremely easy to deal with if commonsense and precautions are taken.

However if you choose to handle an OW then you've absolutely no commonsense. They might not bite you. They might be right as a clock just calmy walking over your hands. But you're much more likely to get bitten, obviously, than if it was safely in it's enclosure. And you really don't want to get bit. Again an OW isn't a Black mamba but it will cause you a great deal of pain for hours, days, week, months, years.

You're better off pretending your OW's are deadly. For their sake as much as your own.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I'm still learning the site, so forgive me for posting this

Thank you @basin79
You essentially described exactly how I am with my Pokie

cold blood

Staff member
Well most of the good beginner arboreals are not really *that* easy to find. So.. I got a pokie
As mentioned, P. cams are abundant and cheap across the globe and also just happen to be the best prep for a pokie.
Agreed with @WeightedAbyss75. Cork tubes are really handy, especially for larger arboreals. I use those for my Psalmos.
Yes, but they're not a necessity. I use leaned wood as well with basically the same results you get with cork...both are great and both options work equally well.

'i'm scared! Do not get bit'
-handles pokies anyway.

Where is that wall emoji when you need it....:shifty:
That would be the face palm emoji...unfortunately only paying users get to use it. I see more use for that emoji then all others at times:)

I personally don't believe in the "you need experience to own an OW" opinion. If you're old enough and responsibile enough I honestly don't see a problem with buying any T as you're first IF (notice it's a big if) you're familiar with it's care AND you know the possible dangers.

And OW T isn't a black mamba. They're extremely easy to deal with if commonsense and precautions are taken.
=======
However if you choose to handle an OW then you've absolutely no commonsense. They might not bite you. They might be right as a clock just calmy walking over your hands. But you're much more likely to get bitten, obviously, than if it was safely in it's enclosure. And you really don't want to get bit. Again an OW isn't a Black mamba but it will cause you a great deal of pain for hours, days, week, months, years.

You're better off pretending your OW's are deadly. For their sake as much as your own.
I agree with the second parts, but wholeheartedly disagree with the first part. Experience is invaluable when dealing with faster, more venomous species. To me its just common sense...just as you wouldn't get a mamba as your first ever snake.

But for as fast as an escaped mamba would disappear, an OW t would disappear twice as fast...poof, right into something you never even realized had a crease or hole in it.

They're certainly not all always "easy to deal with". Experience allows you to deal with these times when they aren't so easy to deal with much more seamlessly. Without experience, its often advantage OW tarantula.

People that are old enough and responsible enough should logically see that certain things require experience...no? Older responsible people are almost never the people we see getting an OW as their first or way too quickly. This (for the good of the hobby) isn't, and shouldn't be, an instant gratification hobby...these are fast, venomous animals as we all know....its not a game, its a hobby or an interest and one to be taken seriously.

basin79

ArachnoGod
As mentioned, P. cams are abundant and cheap across the globe and also just happen to be the best prep for a pokie.

Yes, but they're not a necessity. I use leaned wood as well with basically the same results you get with cork...both are great and both options work equally well.

That would be the face palm emoji...unfortunately only paying users get to use it. I see more use for that emoji then all others at times:)

I agree with the second parts, but wholeheartedly disagree with the first part. Experience is invaluable when dealing with faster, more venomous species. To me its just common sense...just as you wouldn't get a mamba as your first ever snake.

But for as fast as an escaped mamba would disappear, an OW t would disappear twice as fast...poof, right into something you never even realized had a crease or hole in it.

They're certainly not all always "easy to deal with". Experience allows you to deal with these times when they aren't so easy to deal with much more seamlessly. Without experience, its often advantage OW tarantula.

People that are old enough and responsible enough should logically see that certain things require experience...no? Older responsible people are almost never the people we see getting an OW as their first or way too quickly. This (for the good of the hobby) isn't, and shouldn't be, an instant gratification hobby...these are fast, venomous animals as we all know....its not a game, its a hobby or an interest and one to be taken seriously.
Disagreements make the world go round and can lead to great discussions. You have your opinion which is perfectly valid. I have mine. Nothing can prepare you like the real thing and I see little point getting a T you don't necessarily want because the one you do want will hurt more if it bites you. Again that's just me.

This thread could/should be fantastic with differing opinions towards the same goal.