I caught a scorpion. Can someone ID? Also, care?

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was over at a friends new place playing some poker and having a smoke and we saw a scorpion on the porch and I caught it. There was also another on one the side of the porch against the concrete and we couldn't catch it cause it went down into a crack/burrow.

Curious what species it is. This is in central Oklahoma. Also curious how to care for it. Thanks.

Total scorpion newb fwiw.

Hope picture is good enough. I only have a cell phone camera (3.2 megapixels) and I don't believe it has a macro setting. Black berry bold 9700 fwiw.

Attachments

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is Centruroides Vittatus mesic .Temp.between 75 -80 F.Humidity 65%.They spend most of there time off the substrate.So provide something for it to climb on,and for it to hide.I use cork bark.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks. what should I use for substrate? Also how big an enclosure? It's maybe ... 2 inches?

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use zoo med eco earth,but you can use potting soil.Just make sure it has no pesticides or chemicals added to it.You could even use the dirt from your yard if you wanted to.As far as an enclosure.A scorpion doesn't have to have a real great big area.It just depends on if you want to display it,or just keep it.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what should I get from walmart for substrate? do they have zoo med eco earth? is it cheap???

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what should I get from walmart for substrate? do they have zoo med eco earth? is it cheap???
I would just use the dirt that it was found next to. You can bake it in the oven to get rid of any unwanted creepy crawlies.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Potting soil, as long as you make sure it has no chemicals or pesticides in it, will be cheap at Walmart. As far as I know, they do NOT sell Eco Earth, which is a bummer. It's relatively cheap at just about any pet store, however.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Small crickets to feed it? Think it's ok to feed it wild caught bugs for now?

Also, do you think anyone would trade a T or T sling for it?

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Small crickets to feed it? Think it's ok to feed it wild caught bugs for now?

Also, do you think anyone would trade a T or T sling for it?
It would be cheaper on you to feed it wild caught bugs.If your wanting to trade it.Just post it in the for sale section of the Boards.I know that organic potting soil has no chemicals or additives in it.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can you microwave the dirt or does it have to be in the oven?

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would probably be better to bake it.Also you can keep alot of these guys together.Just make sure there are plenty of hides,and food for them.They usually pile up on top of each other,and breed easily.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK what do you guys think of this setup? 1 Gal. rubbermaid deal, little clay water dish, 4 rocks put together as a hide (stable), one stick, and dirt from outside that I strained really well.

Attachments

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Forgot to mention I gave it a real light misting before I put it in there.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep mine in a similar setup but I have some thin bark uprights for it to climb up on. Just be sure it can't reach the top of the enclosure from the upright bark chunks. I just used sugar maple bark from a tree in my yard. Centruroides vittatus is probably my favorite small US scorpion species. Good luck, I raise roaches too so I feed it small lateralis or 1i-2i dubias.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are these a pretty popular species among scorpion keepers?

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're pretty abundant. You can find them all over the southern states and not many people will trade anything for them. Yours is female by the way, I'm not sure if anyone had mentioned it yet.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Negative. Wasn't sure of the sex. How do you know its female?

How long do females live?

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also, from a little reading around, it seems these have kind of a nasty sting???

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, from a little reading around, it seems these have kind of a nasty sting???
I would say the sting has the potential to hurt badly and cause localized swelling...but it's certainly not its Arizona cousin. Imagine a hornet sting or something of the sort, pain but not life threatening unless you're allergic.