I caught a scorpion. Can someone ID? Also, care?

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Negative. Wasn't sure of the sex. How do you know its female?

How long do females live?
Depends on how old, typically a couple years after their final molt.

I've included a picture that I've edited to show the difference between males and females. The segments are called metasomal segments, and in males they're much longer.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Depends on how old, typically a couple years after their final molt.

I've included a picture that I've edited to show the difference between males and females. The segments are called metasomal segments, and in males they're much longer.

The male looks bigger overall, is that the case? They're not smaller like in Ts?

Also does my female look adult?

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The male looks bigger overall, is that the case? They're not smaller like in Ts?

Also does my female look adult?
It depends really, sometimes they'll be bigger, sometimes they'll be smaller. Their extra metasoma length definitely makes them longer. And yours does look adult, especially if you said she was near 2"

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, haha, now i get it..wow lol.

I was referring to how painful they are..lol I got stung by a younglin and the whole left side of my body hurt for about 1-3 days

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow damn. I think I'm gonna try to trade it imo. I'm more into Ts and still haven't gotten my first one yet. Don't want to see what it's like being stung.

Oh hai scorpion! Sting me? Nooooo thank you plz!

:)

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's the young ones that don't know how much venom to inject with their sting.. that's what stung me but with adults it's not as bad because they know how to control their venom injection. If you get a pair of feeding tongs you'll be fine. You can use them to remove the scorpion by grabbing it at the tail to change substrate, remove uneaten prey, put prey in the enclosure. Definitely a good investment.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I've been planning on getting some. For right now I just have some tweezers and I guess it's sufficient for now but definitely need to get big ones.

Thanks all very much for the input. Greatly appreciated.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are these things like ridiculously slow with their pinchers or is mine just not hungry? I got 2 small crickets from the LPS and put them in there. The next day they were uneaten and still walking around, so I thought maybe 2 wasn't enough cause maybe the enclosure is too big, so I got 4 more and put those in for a total of 6.

I'm not sure right now if any have been eaten, but I was just looking at her and she had one walk right between her pinchers and moved them a little but didn't do a damn thing as far as grabbing and stinging and eating that damn cricket. I've seen this happen a couple times now.

Do these damn scorpions eat or what? :mad:

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They can go for a month or more without eating no problem - if it's hungry it'll eat. If it ignores the prey it simply doesn't want to eat it.

I would remove the uneaten prey items and try offering several again in a week. If they do not get eaten then remove them and try again the following week.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
should I toss the crickets outside or try to keep them alive for the next feeding attempt?

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
should I toss the crickets outside or try to keep them alive for the next feeding attempt?
If they're easy to find and you don't mind, toss them outside and if not, keep em :)
It's also advantageous to keep them because you can control their diet, allowing you to know what will enter your scorpion.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They're VERY easy to find. I just gotta drive a couple miles to petco ;)

I might see about keeping them I suppose, even if they're only like 11 cents a piece.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol they may be on .11 cents a piece, but everytime I go in to get some I'm spending over $12 to pick the little creatures up... so it'll add up really fast (well, it you get a bunch of bugs it will {D)

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crickets can be kept for several days in a plain container - add some egg carton pieces or something for them to hide because they are cannibals.

If you want to keep them longer you can pick up some cricket food and a water source. I've kept 50 or so adult crix in a 5gal bucket with a food dish and some sponges for water. The food was $5 and enough to last me well over a year and the sponges were a couple of bucks for 5. Cheap to do but IMO it's not worth it if you can pick up crickets at the store. Plus they stink :p

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What do crickets look like after they've been eaten by a scorpion? I'm still unsure if my scorpion has eaten, but I have found a couple dead crickets that looks like they might have been eaten.

The first was maybe a week ago, it was actually just the lower legs that I found.

And yesterday I found a dead cricket that looked like just an empty shell, like it had all its insides sucked out. Was it eaten by my scorpion? Do crickets molt and it was a molt?

Thanks.