Species Hysterocrates gigas

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,116
I pulled my Hysterocrates gigas eggsac tonight and to my surprise IT'S GOOD!!!!

I tell you though, she would NOT let go of it for anything! I had to use two tweezers to get it from her. I feel like a jerk now because she's going around in her enclosure looking for the eggsac and biting things that she may think it is it.

The majority of the eggs are not yet developed, but I did find one egg with legs. Right now, the eggsac is in a hammock. I plan to turn it multiple times a day. So, do I tape the eggsac back up or carefully dump the eggs into the hammock. I am unsure as what to do. Any ideas?

Here are some pics. This is so awesome...







Here she is with it. Look at that grip!
 

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 13, 2004
Messages
1,104
aww. that is sad. she looks like a great mom. I hope everything comes out ok. Is she still looking for it?
 

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,116
BlkCat said:
aww. that is sad. she looks like a great mom. I hope everything comes out ok. Is she still looking for it?
She will be fine...
 

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
394
Hi Dwayne, In my experience if you pull sacs too early before they have "budded", you'll have a smaller number make it. Many of the eggs will fail to molt for the first time, but you may have got them just at the time of this molt starting, so good luck with that.
I've always found that H. gigas are very good mothers, and leaving the eggsac with them, until your for sure they have molted first, is the best thing. This will happen by 30 days in most cases.
I too have a sac right now, and it's coming up on the 30 day mark, but I think I'll let her have it a bit longer.
Good luck with it, hope alot of them bud out for ya! Nice pics!
 

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 8, 2003
Messages
1,749
Yeah, I'm looking for a male for my girl. One of the only T's I'd probably leave the sac with for the duration.
Rev
 

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 18, 2003
Messages
2,115
Nice pics Dwayne!

I had an H. gigas eat the eggsac on day 29!!! argh!
 

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,116
Swifty said:
Hi Dwayne, In my experience if you pull sacs too early before they have "budded", you'll have a smaller number make it. Many of the eggs will fail to molt for the first time, but you may have got them just at the time of this molt starting, so good luck with that.
I've always found that H. gigas are very good mothers, and leaving the eggsac with them, until your for sure they have molted first, is the best thing. This will happen by 30 days in most cases.
I too have a sac right now, and it's coming up on the 30 day mark, but I think I'll let her have it a bit longer.
Good luck with it, hope alot of them bud out for ya! Nice pics!
Hey Kelly,

So leaving with it her for 30 days is okay? I actually did wait for the 30 days before taking it from her. I was surprised to find them not fully hatched. She was a great mother, I wish I could give the eggsac back to her for her to hold on to for a while longer, but she will probably eat it.

So what do u recommend I do in my sitaution? Should I leave the eggs in the sac or pour then out into the hammock? I have turned the sac a few times since I have taken it from her. Why does pulling an eggsac early cause some to fail during the first molt? How can u be the sure the eggs have molted before you pull the sac? Thanks for the help

Bearo,

She's not biting it, she holding it. That's that way she has had it the whole 30 days.
 

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
394
Spider-man 2 said:
Hey Kelly,

So leaving with it her for 30 days is okay? I actually did wait for the 30 days before taking it from her. I was surprised to find them not fully hatched. She was a great mother, I wish I could give the eggsac back to her for her to hold on to for a while longer, but she will probably eat it.

So what do u recommend I do in my sitaution? Should I leave the eggs in the sac or pour then out into the hammock? I have turned the sac a few times since I have taken it from her. Why does pulling an eggsac early cause some to fail during the first molt? How can u be the sure the eggs have molted before you pull the sac? Thanks for the help
At this point if you haven't emptied the sac, I'd give it a few days, because it seems that you cut it real close if there is some that have molted already. We're talking only days at this point. 30 days is just a guideline, and could be different if your temps are a tad cooler than mine. There is still hope, so keep an eye on it.

>Why does pulling an eggsac early cause some to fail during the first molt?<

It's not so much pulling the sac, it's emptying it too soon from the eggsac. I'd just keep it as closed as you can, but be sure you can still turn it, and be sure the eggs, are rotating. If alot of them start budding in the next few days, you would probably be safe emptying them into the hammock. Once you have them in the hammock, you can use a large cereal spoon, and gently shift them every day or so. Be very careful when doing this. If some of the eggs haven't molted, leave them in just in case they are late bloomers, unless they are obviously rotting, but from the pics, it didn't look like it.

>How can u be the sure the eggs have molted before you pull the sac?<

Well, when they molt, it will puff the sac to were it is more taunt, and you can see it has changed. It will go from slightly saggy, to firm and round (for most T's) within a matter of a few days.
Good luck man!
 
Last edited:

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,116
The eggs are still in the eggsac, I didn't empty it. I taped it up with a piece of tape where the opening was. I have been rotating it all day. About once every 2 hours.

Thanks for the tips!
 

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
394
Spider-man 2 said:
The eggs are still in the eggsac, I didn't empty it. I taped it up with a piece of tape where the opening was. I have been rotating it all day. About once every 2 hours.

Thanks for the tips!
What I do when I just want to peek in the sac, but don't want to open it all the way, is I open just a small tear, about the size of a pencil eraser, and take a bright light and scan to see if there are any signs of it being ready. If it doesn't look ready, I pinch and twist the little hole back together. It makes a little nipple when you do this, but doesn't cause much damage. I've done this, and given it back to my A. versicolor females, and they hatched it the rest of the way, with no problems.
 

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,116
Swifty said:
What I do when I just want to peek in the sac, but don't want to open it all the way, is I open just a small tear, about the size of a pencil eraser, and take a bright light and scan to see if there are any signs of it being ready. If it doesn't look ready, I pinch and twist the little hole back together. It makes a little nipple when you do this, but doesn't cause much damage. I've done this, and given it back to my A. versicolor females, and they hatched it the rest of the way, with no problems.
You think it is too late for me to give it back to her?
 

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
394
Spider-man 2 said:
You think it is too late for me to give it back to her?
Probably so. I gave the versicolors eggsac within minutes of taking it.
 

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,116
2 days later....:)




I then decided to let them out into the hammock.




I can't tell if the dark eggs/stuff are bad eggs or eggs getting ready to molt? Can anyone help me out?




Am I doing everything right so far?
 

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
394
Looking good Dwayne! Yeah, the black ones are no good, and some babies will be stuck to them, now is the time to take then and free what you can (be gentle) and discard the ones you can't, because you don't want them attracting unwanted pests such as mites, that seem to just appear out of nowhere on dead young. Sit back and relax now, because it's all time at this point. Do your daily shuffle with the spoon like I mentioned before and you should see their legs start darkening in 2-3 weeks.
Congrats Dwayne!
 

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,116
Thanks Kelly! You have been a big help. :D

Remember, you still have first dibs on these if you want, as I promised. Email or PM me.
 

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,116
Shouldn't the wee ones be wiggling thier legs??? They have been lying there, what seems lifeless, for about 2 days now. Or is it that I just can't see their slight motions?


 
Top