Species Hysterocrates gigas

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well....nevermind. I took the time last night to make SURE they were alive. I pretty much stared at them as close as my eyes would allow for about a minute and DID see motion among the majority of them.

Amazing how subtle it is, but I am just realived that they weren't dead. :D

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. gigas was the first species I ever bred and my favorite species overall. They're a great t. Congrats, Dwayne.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
galeogirl said:
H. gigas was the first species I ever bred and my favorite species overall. They're a great t. Congrats, Dwayne.
Did you get an eggsac out of the breeding and if you did, was it successful? My adult female has quite the personality. I agree they are a cool species and thanks again!

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I got an eggsac that matured. I lost some of the babies to mites since, at that time, I didn't know that the darker-colored slings were actually dead. I think I got about half of them to second instar. Lost a few from there, but raised most of them up to juveniles.

This was all back in the days of yore before the internet and the arachnid forum, so I did a lot of my breeding of inverts and herps by sheer guesswork and reading every outdated book I could find at the library.

The internet has made this hobby so much easier.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't call it successful quite yet...many more things can go wrong. I wish you the best of luck though!

Later,

Jake

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they look like caviar, yummy, that would be good with some red wine, hehe just kidding. ;P

awesome pics D, I'll buy some from you when their ready.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I really like the pictures and the info provided by the other breeders. Kinda makes me want to start looking into breeding T's.

ScorpionBob

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Having never raised an eggsac or actually seen one in person. I just wanted to ask if the eggsac is really tough? I was surprised at the appearance of the sac, it actually looked like paper towel. I recently read the article on spider silk and that they are capable of producing about 5 different kinds of silk...Is it waterproof?

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ScorpionBob said:
Having never raised an eggsac or actually seen one in person. I just wanted to ask if the eggsac is really tough? I was surprised at the appearance of the sac, it actually looked like paper towel. I recently read the article on spider silk and that they are capable of producing about 5 different kinds of silk...Is it waterproof?

Oh yea, it's pretty tough. I would say it feels like a paper towel but a lot finer in feeling. I guess it kinda has its own feel, hard to compare it. Yes, it is waterproof, bounches right off.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jake H. said:
I wouldn't call it successful quite yet...many more things can go wrong. I wish you the best of luck though!

Later,

Jake
AHHH! dont jinx it! :embarrassed:

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
15 days later....after opening eggsac. They are starting to darken up.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
YAY! successful. thats what i like to see! :clap:

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Only 24 hours after my last post.....man they work fast. Awesome how they have the tear-drop shaped abdomens from the beginning

Last edited:

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Only 24 hours after my last post.....man they work fast. Awesome how they have the tear-drop shaped abdomens from the beginning

If anybody would like some of the babies, you can start emailing me now, they should be ready to go in about a week. Gotta spread the love!
In a week? I would advise againt shipping 1st instars and wait until they molt into 2nd when they can actually eat. That should be in another 3-4 weeks.

It's good to see they're coming along so well!

Peace,

Jake

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jake H. said:
In a week? I would advise againt shipping 1st instars and wait until they molt into 2nd when they can actually eat. That should be in another 3-4 weeks.

It's good to see they're coming along so well!

Peace,

Jake
Yeaaaaa.....that's what I meant. :8o

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Woo hey congrats Dwayne. I haven't been reading this forum lately but it's good to come in and see another successful breeding project.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:

Wow, and they have the little hairy butt thing going already, too! That is so wild! :eek: I've never seen T's that 'young' before. :eek: