How do you keep your records?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I have a question about the android "Tarantulas" app (if someone familiar with it can help me). The Tarantulas app is free and looks like the best for android with regard to ratings and comments. When you do a back up of your tarantula data stored on the phone/tablet, is the export convertible to text or doc file in some manner? I basically want to accomplish two things.

1) Make a list of my tarantulas to go into my profile and a document on my computer.
2) Load the names of my tarantulas into an app on my tablet so that I can track some information such as molts and perhaps the last siting of the burrowing T's that I rarely see (kind of like sightings of Big Foot).

Is there an easy way to not have to type them out twice?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I track molts, and I use a simple MS Word file that gets backed up every couple of months along with everything else on my HDD.

I really don't see much point in tracking feeding or watering, but to each his own.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I track molts, and I use a simple MS Word file that gets backed up every couple of months along with everything else on my HDD.

I really don't see much point in tracking feeding or watering, but to each his own.
I track feedings and when Ts decline the food so I know who isn't eating.

I keep all my records, including molts, feedings, rehousing, and acquisitions, in Google Calendar.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have a spreadsheet with:
  • one summary page for my collection:
  • one page with an M.F.U-formatted list:
  • one detailed page for each tarantula with detailed information like molting dates and sizes, pre-molt fasts, and rehousing

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I keep close track on my G. pulchra nymph, probably because it is my first spider at all. Not only do I keep track of when I fed her, but also when she refused food.
Additionally, I keep a short 'diary' where I note down behavior that's new and/or interesting to me, for later research. I learned quite a bit due to that and it is great fun too. Of course with just one, it's no big deal, I wouldn't do that if I had more than a few, but for now it's fun - and useful - to me, and not time intensive at all, why would it be.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The best "app" is always this: a pen (or a pencil) + a notebook + :writer:

Hell, how much intelligents were the elders? :-s

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I remember there used to be an app of some sort for record keeping. I can't seem to find one now. So, how do y'all keep your records?

I want something on my phone as well as a binder. Just in case my phone explodes or something.
I don't. But if I did I would use Google Sheets since you want it to be accessible across multiple platforms.

Personally I like Excel better but it is not as easy to access that across platforms.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If I had started using an app before I gained so many I wouldn't feel overwhelmed. I do have all of the names of my T's in assorted text documents where I continuously copy and paste sections of text from this forum and assorted websites (my own custom care sheets). I also save my order information regarding when I obtained them.

Recently I have felt like I am losing track of when some of my burrowing T's have last been confirmed as healthy. When the T is only 1/4" size it is hard to know if it took some bites out of those cricket pieces that are dropped into the container. If you own some slow growing burrowing small size species you likely can relate to this.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
When the T is only 1/4" size it is hard to know if it took some bites out of those cricket pieces that are dropped into the container. If you own some slow growing burrowing small size species you likely can relate to this.
Oh yeah. At that size, you have to get your face up to the vial and squint to see if the abdomen looks any bigger than it did before you fed. One of my P. sazimai is 1/8" and it is so hard to even locate it half the time, let alone tell if it ate anything.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I usually don't hijack threads, and I apologize in advance, but I just have to comment on @nicodimus22 photography website (in his signature). Fantastic photos and I loved every one of them. I especially love your composition techniques. Really fabulous photographs.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I usually don't hijack threads, and I apologize in advance, but I just have to comment on @nicodimus22 photography website (in his signature). Fantastic photos and I loved every one of them. I especially love your composition techniques. Really fabulous photographs.
Thanks for the kind words, Vanessa. Glad you enjoyed them.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Back on topic...
I keep a monthly Excel spreadsheet to track feedings, which I print out. I also mark moults to ensure that I don't feed someone who has just moulted, or feed them too early. Once they moult, I mark their entries with an M for a few days after.
In addition, I keep a page for each individual which details moult dates, rehousing, and any other significant events - confirming sex, detailed issues with moults, etc., and the basic information of where/whom I got them from, date I got them, what size they were when I got them, and how much they cost me at purchase.
I have placed everything in a binder with a one page summary at the front about where each species is from and a bit about them. I enjoy putting things like that together and it makes it much easier to keep track. Plus, it is interesting for my friends to look through.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
OneNote. I have T notebook with a page for each and make a note each day about 1) the T, any unusual behavior, new behavior, general appearance etc, and 2) the enclosure, any noticeable problems, maintenance, etc.

Can also insert images (and practically anything else) so I can keep a running visual record of growth, new webbing, etc. Syncs across all my devices.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I stopped keeping track when I hit over 5 Tarantulas

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The best "app" is always this: a pen (or a pencil) + a notebook + :writer:

Hell, how much intelligents were the elders? :-s
Haha, I haven't used a notebook to store anything I cared about since I learned about computers. :p

I have a question about the android "Tarantulas" app (if someone familiar with it can help me). The Tarantulas app is free and looks like the best for android with regard to ratings and comments. When you do a back up of your tarantula data stored on the phone/tablet, is the export convertible to text or doc file in some manner? I basically want to accomplish two things.

1) Make a list of my tarantulas to go into my profile and a document on my computer.
2) Load the names of my tarantulas into an app on my tablet so that I can track some information such as molts and perhaps the last siting of the burrowing T's that I rarely see (kind of like sightings of Big Foot).

Is there an easy way to not have to type them out twice?
1) It doesn't do this that I know of. Just type out a list it doesn't take long if that's your thing.
2)If your app is an andriod tablet then you can push the backup from the phone to your table and "restore" a copy there. They won't stay in sync but you can always edit one and push/restore to the other if you really need to. Using it on my phone is easy and right there as I work with my Ts.

To my knowledge there isn't a way to export it into another program like excel. I do back mine up to my cloud drive and it's been easy to access via my phone. It's a good way to link photos of my Ts over time. I think it's great for tracking Ts.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Haha, I haven't used a notebook to store anything I cared about since I learned about computers. :p
Malo, my man, molto malo <-- instead of the Italian word male (bad, in this case) quoting old good Diego Abatantuono :-s

For that, what if tomorrow the computers decide to uprise against us? No, wait, that's old as Arnold "Terminator" Schwarzy but why if mass revolts occur and everything downhill? Now in such situation old (not technology) notebook & pencil come to help, for that, hell... worldwide mess or not, our T's needs us u_u

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Failed feedings and stuff like that I can keep in my head. I only track molts, new arrivals, and deaths. I do it in a journal.
Going to check out that tarantula app though..