How do you keep your records?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I use iPhone. Best phones there is! Haha
Not if your looking for good tarantula tracking apps. :p

I use Tarantulas android app as well. Its a really great app and it backs up to my drop box nightly. It tracks feeding, watering, molting, notes, who you bought from, has a photo log, feeding reminder and some more things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

It's a great app that is created and updated by a member here on the boards.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
@Trenor That's pretty cool. I had no idea it was created by someone on AB. No wonder its so comprehensive :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
good ol pen n paper is what i use. pretty much only keep track of molts and new arrivals so i can see their age. feedings are just in my head.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't I toss them out as soon as I'm released.. If the prosecutor or my P/O needs to see them they can send a requisition to the clerk of courts..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use iPhone. Best phones there is! Haha
Depends on how you define best. I own onlyi iPhones, I'd never ever call them the best. To each his own.

There's quite a few things that Apple doesn't execute well on. Such as providing more megapixels for their cameras, they chronically are behind the Japanese brands. Their screens have less resolution than other Japanese brands as well.

For a product made in America, they know how to put USA in second place behind foreign competition in many ways.

Since the iPhone 4s, each release of an iPhone including the most recent, I'm chronically left saying "That's it?"

Not if your looking for good tarantula tracking apps.
So True.

It's a great app that is created and updated by a member here on the boards.
I talked to the developer, there's no interest in porting it for the iOS either.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Depends on how you define best. I own onlyi iPhones, I'd never ever call them the best. To each his own.

There's quite a few things that Apple doesn't execute well on. Such as providing more megapixels for their cameras, they chronically are behind the Japanese brands. Their screens have less resolution than other Japanese brands as well.

For a product made in America, they know how to put USA in second place behind foreign competition in many ways.

Since the iPhone 4s, each release of an iPhone including the most recent, I'm chronically left saying "That's it?"
So True.
I talked to the developer, there's no interest in porting it for the iOS either.
That's a shame. It's a really great app IMO. It makes it really easy to track a lot of information. However, as someone who has worked on apps for both I can understand not wanting to have to deal with it. Also the cost of developing apps on iOS is a lot more than the cost for android.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have my personal slave/puppet like 'Zed' of 'Pulp Fiction'. I just use a little knife and his back for that :troll:

louise f

Arachnoangel
I cant stop laughing a little over this feeding/molts/watering Schedule. :D I'm not trying to be rude or anything but geez people you need to get some kids, then you'll soon find out you dont got the time for keeping track of hundreds of spiders by writing everything down, while you need to use time on feeding, watering and cleaning too. :D or you just need to get more spiders :p:D

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I used to keep meticulous notes, in a notebook. I really seriously need to start that up again. I'd thought about using a spreadsheet but I can't seem to find a good one that's free so for me, a notebook and pen will be my preferred method. ;)

Matabuey

Arachnosquire

So True.

I've only owned iPhones, and I will admit they suck in every single regard to competitors offerings haha.

They used to be the 'best' like 5 years ago. Been lagging behind for some while now - unfortunately :/.

The only reason I have one, is purely because I prefer iOS. But it's a limited operating system, and the phone has sub par hardware compared to Samsung etc.

Last edited:

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I used to keep meticulous notes, in a notebook. I really seriously need to start that up again. I'd thought about using a spreadsheet but I can't seem to find a good one that's free so for me, a notebook and pen will be my preferred method. ;)
Libre Office or Open Office are free, if you don't have MS Office.

symbol

Arachnopeon
Also, if you don't want to install new software, you could always try Google Sheets. I used to use Libre Office for everything, but I have to say... I've become a Google Sheets/Docs convert over the past year or so. Very handy being able to access my stuff from pretty much anywhere!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Since i only have a few spiders, my needs are simple. Really, the only thing I care to keep track of are moult records. It was difficult to find anything that would run on a windows 7 desktop PC but a couple of years ago I ran across ArachnoRecords. It was a little outdated then in regard to the provided species list, but it worked sufficiently for my purposes. So I'm only adding it for thoroughness, I can't actually recommend it unless you need something pretty basic as I do. (I doubt if it can even be located now) The only thing I have against it technically is that the date system is one that I am unaccustomed to (European style, I believe- DD/MM/YY) and that while it supports photos, it does not store them within the program itself, it just references to wherever you have the photos stored on your hard-drive. So, if you delete the photo or move it, Arachnorecords will not show the picture again until you make the necessary adjustment in the program. But it serves my needs, so oh well.

m_Image1.jpg

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I taught my tarantulas to keep their own records. I will not tolerate laziness, and I have made it clear to them that "I don't even have a brain, you gigantic terrifying meat sac" is not an acceptable excuse.

Actually, I also use the Tarantulas android app. It helps me quite a bit seeing as how I'm someone who misplaces his car keys literally 3-4 times per week.

netr

Arachnoknight
geez people you need to get some kids, then you'll soon find out you dont got the time for keeping track of hundreds of spiders by writing everything down, while you need to use time on feeding, watering and cleaning too. :D or you just need to get more spiders :p:D
I get where you're coming from, but it's precisely because I have a child that I need a recording system (in my case, the Tarantulas app) with timestamps and reminders, so that I don't forget to feed the things. It's happened! :bag:

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Google has released the main programs of Office products for free. With free cloud storage. In my opinion, they're actually easier to use and far more intuitive.

Google Docs (Word)
Google Sheets (Excel)
Google Slides (PowerPoint)

louise f

Arachnoangel
I get where you're coming from, but it's precisely because I have a child that I need a recording system (in my case, the Tarantulas app) with timestamps and reminders, so that I don't forget to feed the things. It's happened! :bag:
The feeding Schedule i got in my head. I have certain days at the week feeding and watering. :)