How do you all remember tarantula names when everyone always shortens the genus?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
What's cryptic about it...sp. stands for species. Done. That's not so hard to remember is it?
Except the "E" can mean anything. Either spell out the genus and note it as "sp." for a single unspecified species, or "spp." for multiple unspecified species. If you abbreviate the genus, you can't use "sp." or "spp." because you're pretty much saying "Any species within a genus that begins with E"

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Except the "E" can mean anything. Either spell out the genus and note it as "sp." for a single unspecified species, or "spp." for multiple unspecified species. If you abbreviate the genus, you can't use "sp." or "spp." because you're pretty much saying "Any species within a genus that begins with E"
I feel enlightened, have a lollipop.

boina

Lady of the mites
From doing it a long time, it's not rocket science.
No, it's tarantula science.

Here comes the common name rant. :p It's really not a big deal peeps. We use common names for tons of other things.
Since @Andrea82 passed up on the opportunity to rant about common names can I do it instead?

Yes, common names are used everywhere and it's so difficult. I mean, I think my English is pretty good, but learning common names in a another language is the worst. Just take birds:

Great tit (Parus major) is Kohlmeise in German (translated: coal tit) but -
Coal tit (Periparus ater) is Tannenmeise in German (translated: fir tit)

Now try to remember that...

And that's why I hate common names.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Since @Andrea82 passed up on the opportunity to rant about common names can I do it instead?

Yes, common names are used everywhere and it's so difficult. I mean, I think my English is pretty good, but learning common names in a another language is the worst. Just take birds:

I have a bunch of tits in my garden??
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
this is not a proper way to write it...its lazy internet users cutting corners....in this case the whole genus name, Euthlus, should be written out.....Euthlus sp. red.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
this is not a proper way to write it...its lazy internet users cutting corners....in this case the whole genus name, Euthlus, should be written out.....Euthlus sp. red.
Damn lazy Internet users cutting corners! Ugh how dare they misspell the name ;)
I thought it was Euathlus?
It is lol.

How might one acquire a great tit? I'm not too fond of the coal tits or fir tits, but man those great tits are jaw dropping! :D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Can...can you send me some seeds? I would like to have a similar garden...for science, of course.
I asked mine, but they preferred to stay where they are....bunch of spoiled tits :shifty:

This thread went from 'sigh, not another debate on common names, pleeeease' to 'you guys are cracking me up I can't breathe' in like three posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Regardless it doesn't take a PhD to know them over time. People tend to remember what they want to remember and use the most. For example, I know the NWs better than the OWs, w/the exception of a few OW genera that are my favorites.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Generally the species name is unique enough among the 900 or so tarantula species that only the species name is really needed. Someone could just say seemanni and we would know what you're talking about. There are a few exceptions. In my own collection alone, I have a P. metallica and an A. metallica.

mistertim

Arachnobaron

Well, now I know what I'll be naming my first G. pulchra once get one. Coal Tit it is.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Has anybody ever experienced shop keepers getting uncomfortable when you use Latin? I prefer the Latin names because it is more useful, but honestly I get embarrassed sometimes when I think I am the only one that is unfamiliar with a new name. The scientific name lends the professional air to both the vendor and the buyer but every once and a while neither one of them actually know what they are looking at and just pretend as they talk about a very interesting species, waiting for the other one to flinch first. This happened to me today at an expo and someone came up and asked what a Aphonopelma seemani was. I was successful at mumbling, "Um, I think it is called a stripe knee or a zebra leg....I'm not really sure." The vendor then admitted that he was a fish guy and called the owner over. I swear we are all winging it, but dang those italics are impressive! :pompous:

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Remembering them for the most part is fairly easily, but it really does get complicated when the spider in question hasn't actually been given a proper name. Like the previously mentioned Eauthlus sp. Red, I've heard there is some dispute regarding Eauthlus being the proper genus for the species. Or half the spiders in the Omothymus/Cyriopagopus/Ornithoctoninae . Thats the stuff I try to keep straight but I find a little more difficult.

Trenor

Arachnoprince

Yeah, but you use them for plants and other animals daily with almost no problem. People act as though common names are supposed to have some great meaning :It doesn't eat birds hahaha: for the thing they are describing but do they? A Poppy pops how? Just how does a Black Eyed Susan tell you anything about the plant it names? Does a bird that isn't named a Swallow not swallow?

I have a plant in my front yard that's native to this area and I can go to just about anywhere in this country and use it's common name and they know what it is. If I were to bust out with its scientific name no one would. When was the last time any of you used a scientific name for anything that wasn't tarantula related? We use common names for a lot of things and no one cares.

The argument of they can point to more than one species doesn't even really hold up. There are only a hand full out of a lot that's even been used for more than one T. For everyone you can name that has, I can name 5 that doesn't have that problem. If we were to go back and forth that way I would be surprised if I have to list more than 15 Ts.

As far as the translations from one language to another well that's the global world we live in. I've seen shirts and tattoos and just about everything else that doesn't lend itself well to translation from one language to another. It's tough but how do translations work when there are not scientific names? My friend Stuart translates English to Japanese for a living and he could go on for days on this topic.

I use scientific names a lot. I use common name as well. What I don't see is what is so bad about common names that makes it a rant worthy hot topic on here so often. No one flips out when I call a Dionaea muscipula a Venus Fly Trap. They nod and the conversation keeps going. Why is that such a show stopper in tarantula conversation?

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, but you use them for plants and other animals daily with almost no problem. People act as though common names are supposed to have some great meaning :It doesn't eat birds hahaha: for the thing they are describing but do they? A Poppy pops how? Just how does a Black Eyed Susan tell you anything about the plant it names? Does a bird that isn't named a Swallow not swallow?

I have a plant in my front yard that's native to this area and I can go to just about anywhere in this country and use it's common name and they know what it is. If I were to bust out with its scientific name no one would. When was the last time any of you used a scientific name for anything that wasn't tarantula related? We use common names for a lot of things and no one cares.

The argument of they can point to more than one species doesn't even really hold up. There are only a hand full out of a lot that's even been used for more than one T. For everyone you can name that has, I can name 5 that doesn't have that problem. If we were to go back and forth that way I would be surprised if I have to list more than 15 Ts.

As far as the translations from one language to another well that's the global world we live in. I've seen shirts and tattoos and just about everything else that doesn't lend itself well to translation from one language to another. It's tough but how do translations work when there are not scientific names? My friend Stuart translates English to Japanese for a living and he could go on for days on this topic.

I use scientific names a lot. I use common name as well. What I don't see is what is so bad about common names that makes it a rant worthy hot topic on here so often. No one flips out when I call a Dionaea muscipula a Venus Fly Trap. They nod and the conversation keeps going. Why is that such a show stopper in tarantula conversation?
Because we are a group of special snowflakes.

boina

Lady of the mites

Actually I think scientific names are not only used in in tarantula conversations. Orchid lovers use scientific names, too. A lot of plant lovers in general use scientific names. It actually makes a conversation across language barriers in our global world a lot easier. I knew Dionaea right away, although I also knew Venus Fly Trap since that translates one to one to German, so not the best example. And common names for birds and plants have been around for centennia, everyone grew up with them. Everyone knows what a Poppy is, but Mexican Red Leg? Tarantula names haven't been around for more than a couple of decades. People are still making up new ones today. So, why not just stick with the scientific names? And for common names not being confusing: If you can keep track of all the various white and red and striped legs and knees and whatever without being confused you are a much more organised person than I am.

Edit: I deal with English common names if I have to by using Google, and usually without a rant, but I don't have to like it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Can't resist to drop something in the discussion. Just a thought...

Using and making common names seems like a more US thing to do. When going through vendors' lists here, the scientific names come first, with the common names sometimes below that, if at all there. Vendors' lists based in the US seem to start more with the common names and the scientific names under those.
So I guess it seems like the US likes its common names.
That's fine for you. But it doesn't mean the rest if the world has to use common names as well. ;)
I know I'll be getting roasted for this so bring it on..