How do you all remember tarantula names when everyone always shortens the genus?

boina

Lady of the mites
Your right, I wouldn't have known what a kip was. But be honest, if you didn't know chicken would you have been any more likely to know Gallus gallus domesticus without the same google search you could have used to find chicken?

I mean this was what turned up based on what I knew about your location and kip in 10 sec on a google search.

No one said you needed to learn anything. Use scientific names if you want. It just trips me out at the blow back I see over and over from this topic when we all (the whole world not just us US peeps) use tons of common names daily. Without a care.
You know, I don't care at all what you call any tarantula when you are talking to a fellow American enthusiast. But, as @Andrea82 said, if you use common American names on this board you basically exclude everyone who isn't American, or at least British, from the conversation, or tell them implicitely to do the work for you and google what you are talking about. I do agree with Andrea, it somehow feels very impolite. But this is an American board after all, so maybe not.

boina

Lady of the mites
I understand that seems unequal.

I think this discussion comes up so frequently because of the fact virtually everyone on the world comes here. And in most European countries, keeping Theraphosidae is a specialized hobby. And also, we in Europe HAVE to use the scientific names because if I would ask a Polish breeder for a 'roodknie vogelspin' (which would be the literal translation for red knee tarantula) he would be like, 'what the hell are you talking about', probably in Polish back. :p
While in the US, you can travel for twenty hours, and still be in english-speaking country. So maybe the need for scientific names is not as high as it is for Europe, making us using them more.
But still, on an international forum like this, scientific names would be better to make sure everyone knows about which spider the op is talking imo.
And again we posted simultanously... ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I understand that seems unequal.

I think this discussion comes up so frequently because of the fact virtually everyone on the world comes here. And in most European countries, keeping Theraphosidae is a specialized hobby. And also, we in Europe HAVE to use the scientific names because if I would ask a Polish breeder for a 'roodknie vogelspin' (which would be the literal translation for red knee tarantula) he would be like, 'what the hell are you talking about', probably in Polish back. :p
While in the US, you can travel for twenty hours, and still be in english-speaking country. So maybe the need for scientific names is not as high as it is for Europe, making us using them more.
But still, on an international forum like this, scientific names would be better to make sure everyone knows about which spider the op is talking imo.
That's fair. I can see where you're coming from. Again, I got no beef with using scientific names. I just don't see why it's such a big deal when tarantula common names are used as opposed to any other common name.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's fair. I can see where you're coming from. Again, I got no beef with using scientific names. I just don't see why it's such a big deal when tarantula common names are used as opposed to any other common name.
Yeah...it's the other way around for me....:p
But I think we both know the other persons' statement by now :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
You know, I don't care at all what you call any tarantula when you are talking to a fellow American enthusiast. But, as @Andrea82 said, if you use common American names on this board you basically exclude everyone who isn't American, or at least British, from the conversation, or tell them implicitely to do the work for you and google what you are talking about.
How does using a common name exclude anyone? I don't get that at all. There were a ton on them recently used in "What is your most hated common name" thread and no one there was confused about what names those common names pointed to. No one on that thread posted - I don't understand what a 'mexican red rump' tarantula is. There was no confusion about what T that referred to. No one was excluded from that thread because of common names.

I do agree with Andrea, it somehow feels very impolite.
How is it impolite to say I just don't get why tarantula common names are such a big deal when other common names are not? I'm not trying to be impolite or exclude anyone. I'm not sure what I did to make you think I was.

boina

Lady of the mites
How does using a common name exclude anyone? I don't get that at all. There were a ton on them recently used in "What is your most hated common name" thread and no one there was confused about what names those common names pointed to. No one on that thread posted - I don't understand what a 'mexican red rump' tarantula is. There was no confusion about what T that referred to. No one was excluded from that thread because of common names.

How is it impolite to say I just don't get why tarantula common names are such a big deal when other common names are not? I'm not trying to be impolite or exclude anyone. I'm not sure what I did to make you think I was.
I didn't say you were impolite. You don't usually use common names as far as I remember ;).

So what you are saying is: since my English is good enough to know what a swallow or a poppy is I can as well learn common American tarantula names if I want to understand what people are talking about on this forum, since it is an American forum, after all? And if I don't know the names, well, too bad?

I don't really mean it as harsh as this may sound. It's my choice to come here and post or not and if people insist on using very uncommon common names (I think someone used the common name for M. peterklaasi...) and I don't know what the hell they are talking about I don't need to respond to that post (as in the common name thread, for example). This is just a forum, and whether I can post here or not or understand anything is not essential for anyones life or happiness, so it's all good :).

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Now we have proper common names? Vs what? Un-proper common names? Who decides which is which between the two? Where is that list?

Calling people plebeians is just tacky bro. Just because someone doesn't know as much as you on a topic doesn't mean you should put them down.
Yes there are proper common names that are excepted among scientists who speak a certain language. In an English speaking journal paper on Crotaphytus bicinctores it would also contain the proper (or accepted) common name Great Basin Collard Lizard in the title. An improper common name is something like the local term "mountain boomer" or even just "Collared Lizard" because there are more than one species of Crotaphytus.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You call a chicken a chicken. I call a chicken a kip. Would you have known that if I didn't tell you just now?
Why do non-native english or even American speakers have to learn and use an english or American word for an animal that, with the exeption of Aphonopelma, isn't even native to North America in the first place?
I know a rattlesnake is a rattlesnake because it is native to (amongst other countries) America.

Darn it, caught in with this again...
Scientific language is universal. It is the same everywhere, and for good reason. What would happen if doctors in the US were suddenly making up their own names for surgeries and bodyparts, and expect the rest of the world to go with that?

And no, I am not against the US at all, if I was, I wouldn't be here. But expecting from the rest of the world to follow YOUR common names is unpolite to say the least, and very self-centered.
Hot fire

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So what you are saying is: since my English is good enough to know what a swallow or a poppy is I can as well learn common American tarantula names if I want to understand what people are talking about on this forum, since it is an American forum, after all? And if I don't know the names, well, too bad?
I'm not saying any of that. Maybe I'm not being clear in what I wrote. I am wondering why tarantula common names cause such a big discussion when many other common names for animals and plants on here do not.

I'm still not sure how asking that goes into a US board discussion on people and posting.

Maybe it was taken wrong when I pointed out that it was just as easy to google the common name as it was to google a scientific name if you didn't know them of the top of your head. That wasn't a dig on anyone. I wasn't saying that if you want to post here you have to do extra work to fit in because you are not a native English speaker. It is literally what I do every time I come across a name (scientific or common) or any word (in any language) I don't know. I have even google common names because even though they are in English I didn't know what a Salmon Pink Birdeater was when I first heard of it. There again, I didn't know what a Lasiodora parahybana was either. In both cases I had to look them up to see which T they meant.

It just seemed odd to me that all these other (non T) common names didn't seem to cause a problem. Maybe it has to do with other plant and animal common names being more common world wide as someone suggested. Or like @Andrea82 said it's easier for you to keep track across multiple languages you encounter regularly. I don't know.

Regardless, it is my hope no one is put off from posting here or anywhere else based on a simple discussion on why some common names bother people more than others. :)

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm not saying any of that. Maybe I'm not being clear in what I wrote. I am wondering why tarantula common names cause such a big discussion when many other common names for animals and plants on here do not.

I'm still not sure how asking that goes into a US board discussion on people and posting.

Maybe it was taken wrong when I pointed out that it was just as easy to google the common name as it was to google a scientific name if you didn't know them of the top of your head. That wasn't a dig on anyone. I wasn't saying that if you want to post here you have to do extra work to fit in because you are not a native English speaker. It is literally what I do every time I come across a name (scientific or common) or any word (in any language) I don't know. I have even google common names because even though they are in English I didn't know what a Salmon Pink Birdeater was when I first heard of it. There again, I didn't know what a Lasiodora parahybana was either. In both cases I had to look them up to see which T they meant.

It just seemed odd to me that all these other (non T) common names didn't seem to cause a problem. Maybe it has to do with other plant and animal common names being more common world wide as someone suggested. Or like @Andrea82 said it's easier for you to keep track across multiple languages you encounter regularly. I don't know.

Regardless, it is my hope no one is put off from posting here or anywhere else based on a simple discussion on why some common names bother people more than others. :)
Oh, I love discussions, simple or otherwise, and sometimes I may take them further than I should - and this may just be such a case. Anyway, it's 1 am around here and before I make a complete fool of myself (because tired and not thinking too straight anymore), let's just say I think some comon names sound entirely silly (Salmon Pink Birdeater - I mean, really??) and I don't want to have to learn them and everyone is welcome to disagree ;).

Bearded Brian

Arachnopeon
I never name my T's........Alright maybe i do, but quietly to myself as my good lady always seems to blurt out something like Delilah, i'm like ah shiz (to myself of course) sure she looks like a Delilah. :)

DubiaW

Arachnobaron

I'm guessing that people make a stink over the scientific and common names of tarantulas on this forum because it is a specialized forum that focuses on tarantulas. Just a hunch.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
You should try hanging out with a scientist for a while. If you think memorizing scientific names is a pain in the butt just wait until a doctorate is correcting your Latin pronunciation every time you think you know something. I've been corrected enough times that a mispronounced Latin name or putting the accent in the wrong spot sounds like fingernails on a chalk board. "It's Le-vi-o-sa not Levi-osa."

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm guessing that people make a stink over the scientific and common names of tarantulas on this forum because it is a specialized forum that focuses on tarantulas. Just a hunch.
So if this was a snake forum people would be making a "Stink" over someone posting using rattlesnake instead of it's scientific name? Dude, you crack me up.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Was it sarcasm? A toneless post does little to allude to things like sarcasm.
You don't find using the Roman term for "commoner" in a discussion about using Latin names in conversation just the least bit tongue in cheek? But in a conversation about Latin I'll take "toneless" as a compliment. Just saying.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
So if this was a snake forum people would be making a "Stink" over someone posting using rattlesnake instead of it's scientific name? Dude, you crack me up.
Rattlesnakes were my primary focus for over a decade. I worked at the NTRC during my university years. People that are enthusiasts of herpetology are just as thin skinned as archnology enthusiasts. There is a big difference in the two pet markets though. The reptile market is more mainstream and there are numerous mutations, morphs and variants available that do not have anything to do with taxonomy. Arachnology is more specialized and there are fewer mutations so the discussion revolves primarily around taxonomy and locality of specimens. I assure you that if you were to refer to a Grand Canyon Pink Rattlesnake as Crotalus viridus abyssus intead of C. abyssus you would definitely get push back. There are far fewer species to memorize and it would show a lack of even the most minimal effort to inform oneself before joining the conversation. Arachnology is so expansive that people are very forgiving when you don't know the thousands of names required to have an informed conversation.

Last edited:

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rattlesnakes were my primary focus for over a decade. I worked at the NTRC during my university years. People that are enthusiasts of herpetology are just as thin skinned as archnology enthusiasts. There is a big difference in the two pet markets though. The reptile market is more mainstream and there are numerous mutations, morphs and variants available that do not have anything to do with taxonomy. Arachnology is more specialized and there are fewer mutations so the discussion revolves primarily around taxonomy and locality of specimens. I assure you that if you were to refer to a Grand Canyon Pink Rattlesnake as Crotalus viridus abyssus intead of C. abyssus you would definitely get push back. There are far fewer species to memorize and it would show a lack of even the most minimal effort to inform oneself before joining the conversation. Arachnology is so expansive that people are very forgiving when you don't know the thousands of names required to have an informed conversation.
Call me pedantic but you dont need to know thousands of names to have an informed conversation.

Hoshnobobo

Arachnopeon
They all kind of muddle together until I ether get it and read it off the side of the enclosure during feeding or In my management app a bunch times, or if I find a new one for my wish list and look into it a bunch. At this point it helps that I've seen so many I can use context clues. Aphonopelmma and Bracypelma for example seem easy enough to recognize.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
@Trenor
This thread is called "How do you all remember tarantula names when everyone shortens the genus". It is not my intention to say, common names are bad. I only said, I prefer to use scientific names, because there I know exactly what species it is.

@AphonopelmaTX
If Euathlus sp. red is now the discribed scientific name, or a temporary name before the scientific discribing, I don't care about. With this name I can order this tarantula, and everybody knows, what I mean. With "Rotknievogelspinne" I wouldn't be sure. Is ist now B. hamorii (ex smithi), or not ^^. Like @andrea or @boina said: The lists in Europe to order tarantulas are mainly written with the scientific names (mostly even without common names), so you have to know them, if you want to make an order ^^.

Please note: My English skills are really not the best, so please excuse me, if my postings maybe sounds impolite. I really do not mean it in this way. And please excuse me, when I overlook something, but to read here is a very hard challenge for me. My best friend is dict.cc . Hard times for me here, but I hope to grow with this challenge ^^.
This is what I find interesting, we get all bent out of shape using scientific names rather then common names, but we don't care if the scientific name were using is even the proper name. Seems kind of foolish that were so dead set on having scientific names we don't care if its the proper name, in the case of Euathlus sp. Red since its doesn't have a scientific name, we as a hobby just make something up in this case getting the genus wrong. And thats somehow better then if we were to say just give it a common name. I myself would rather use scientific names, but I also laugh when there are alot of species that don't have scientific names and people get bent out of shape about using incorrect scientific name, doesn't matter if the name is right just as long as its scientific.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Fun fact. Poecilotheria is pronounced poe- cilo- theria. Not poke-lo-theria. The term pokies, is also a common name that annoys me and plain incorrect.