Hidden Tarantula Treasure: Your biggest score!

vbrooke

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I ordered a few slings for my B-day. I got a freebie and a Birthday present. I got a Chaco golden knee for a freebie, and an H. gigas as a present. Best Deal EVER!! I love Birthdays!!

Vicki

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was pretty excited getting my 4" RCF G. Rosea (my first and only T so far :D that will change eventually... ) for the same cost as the other standard Rosies at the store - about $13. She has also been ventrally sexed as female, making it even better (still waiting for a molt to verify for sure! heh).

Not as much of a score as some of these stories, but I was quite excited about it! Not to mention that she's been a bit of a spitfire so far. {D So much fun! {D

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
once upon a time, i was given a HUGE adult female brachy emilia for free. her name was beula.

probably about 10 years ago (rough estimate), i got a subadult avic. minatrix for $15 at a local pet store. it was a single spider in a tank full of avic avics. i specifically made the guy grab that one for me :)

i once bought a scolopendra gigantea (8 or so incher) for $50. they are a $250 animal nowadays if u can find them.

flipping out an adult A. behlei is one of the coolest experiences!

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
7 1 inch smithi slings for $16 plus one free smithi sling from a member on here.

John

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I once bought 4 t's from another member here on the boards. As a freebie he threw in what he'd been told was an A seemani approx 2". He's never even seen it poke it's head out of the burrow which i thought was a little odd for an aphonopelma. Also, it had webbed/dug it's cup to the point where I could tell it was obviously an obligate burrower. When I finally coaxed (dug) it out it turned out to be a 4" haplopelma of some sort. I've never been able to ID the species but it has turned out to be male. :(

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Any of the tiny slings I raised, and found to be female.

Very old female G. rosea which was just given to me.

Any sling freebie added with spider purchase.

natakamani

Arachnopeon
Friend of mine (lucky dog!) got a free 3" (body length) female H. Lividium from Petco, because employees who thought they were cool enough to reach in and play with it kept getting bitten.

Last edited:

CoffinSpirit

Arachnopeon
I just got a verrrry tiny L. parahybana today at the trade center. The guy who runs a reptile shop there knows me (I bought my snake and other T from him) and today he just put it on the counter and goes, "Happy birthday."

I almost cried I was so happy :D

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I met some really amazing people on arachnoboards that I love dearly.

I bought a 4" female B. smithi for $19.95 at a local pet shop that is no longer in business.

I bought a 1" G. pulchra sling for $15 at a reptile show in Tampa, she is currently 6 inches, fat, and getting ready to molt again.

I bought an adult male A. versicolor for $50 to mate with my female, and I'm now on the F2 generation.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I ordered a marshalli (baboon) and got what I thought was an OBT.. instead of selling it I kept it around because it was so mellow. As it grew I could tell it wasnt even an OBT Come to find out its an Augacephalus junodi :D and female to boot :D:D

eternalblue02

Arachnopeon
sexually confused A. versicolor

Over the winter I purchased a 4 inch male sub adult A. versi. When it arrived to my surprise it was sexed incorrectly by the seller. Turns out he is a she and the poor seller let her go for a measly $35 shipped. :rolleyes:

She has since molted into a beautiful lady and I just picked up a fresh mature male. Just about ready to introduce them. (crossing my fingers for a healthy sac) :D

Ace Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good stories, eager to hear more... i think there should be a prize for the best one...

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of the the 31 Ts I've had or currently have, I've only paid for 6, the others were all gifts. {D

A husband who realizes there are much worse addictions out there, so he tolerates a bedroom full of Ts. :D

My first T (smithi female) who was the best compensation for a breakup I've ever had.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first two Ts, an adult G. rosea and a G. aureostriata sling, were birthday presents.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when i got my Cyriopagopus sp. "blue", i hand-picked her out of 5 1" s'lings. i got the only female out of all of them.

B-fish

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Got a 1/2'' P.murinus for $3, it was an amazing deal considering the P.murinus is my favorite T. Same with an A. hentzi but it was 1/4''

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
I got a beautiful 5" B. sabulosum female from Petco for $49.
My biggest coup was my 6" female Nhandu vulpinus for $70.