Arachnoangel
Old Timer
H. mac male maybe??

Heres my H. mac for reference

Last edited:

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an adult female H. mac, she's not quite the ghostly gray color. She's more of a light tan.

SilentMercury

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a male H. mac that looks just like yours kitty. I just kept hoping he was a female, but it didn't help.:cool:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CRAP. because rorschach looks just like this one.

i had hoped to at least get one female. :(

well, everyone keep me in mind if you need a male in a few years, haha.

harrymaculata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
all juvinile maculata look like that the fems get there adult colours when thier bigger and the males just mature, but you can't tell the sex by its juvie colours

SilentMercury

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was sexing it ventrally in the second shot, and I believe it is male, not just by the looks.:cool:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i moved them to jars today. took pictures to prove to my friends that something HAD been living in those kritter keepers the last 1.5 years!

relocated and secure:

taken early one morning when i caught one on the prowl:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
btw, those jars absolutely rock... we got them through my lab when i ordered sterile deionized water. used the water in our assays and extractions, and i could just take the 2 dozen jars home! we also have tons of plastic petri dishes.

being a lab monkey rocks.

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha

kitty_b said:
btw, those jars absolutely rock... we got them through my lab when i ordered sterile deionized water. used the water in our assays and extractions, and i could just take the 2 dozen jars home! we also have tons of plastic petri dishes.

being a lab monkey rocks.
Well I guess that you could be stoked about some glass jars.. whatever floats your boat right?? As for being a lab monkey.. I think it is fun, but you may be a little brainwashed by now.. they like to do that to grad students to keep them from revolting:) muaaahhhahahaha :evil: :evil:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my main job entails drying and extracting fecal samples for EIA and RIA assays to detect pregnane and estradiol levels in pallas' cat feces.

my other job right now is collection domestic cat oocytes from the ovaries of hysterectomied cats and then maturing them in culture to check gene transcription after ~20 hours in the presence of FSH and/or DRB media supplementation.

my job is far from glorious. but i get paid well and no one looms over me all day. ;P

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is about an inch and it lives in a burrow. Does this behavior stop at certain size?

How large is yours?

Do you think they would benefit with more substrate?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice T. I don't know much about arboreal baboons though.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nate said:
Mine is about an inch and it lives in a burrow. Does this behavior stop at certain size?

How large is yours?

Do you think they would benefit with more substrate?
both of mine are around 2" and both are STILL notorious for burrowing. i put them in gerber jars back around summer of 2004, and had to dig them out a year later and make them move into a kritter keeper (they were too big for that tiny jar, but refused to move out of it and into their enclosure!). mine will burrow in 1/2" of substrate, even if that's all that is available... they just web it up and make tunnels.

i'm personally not satisfied with this species. it's nothing against them (can't blame them for being themselves!), i think i just prefer species that are more prone to being visible. hence why they've been moved into the jars, so i can try to sell them at the upcoming exotics show. :(

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
kitty_b said:
i'm personally not satisfied with this species. it's nothing against them (can't blame them for being themselves!), i think i just prefer species that are more prone to being visible. hence why they've been moved into the jars, so i can try to sell them at the upcoming exotics show. :(
Yea, I rarely see mine but when I do it’s a treat. As long as the prey items keep disappearing and I get a peek once a month I’m happy. :rolleyes:

I’m sure they would move quick if you put them up on the boards instead of waiting for a show. Just a thought.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nate said:
Yea, I rarely see mine but when I do it’s a treat. As long as the prey items keep disappearing and I get a peek once a month I’m happy. :rolleyes:

I’m sure they would move quick if you put them up on the boards instead of waiting for a show. Just a thought.
i had one person offer to purchase one... the problem is that these guys really don't like to cooperate when i need to move them, and i don't see them tolerating me trying to pack them. they're not going to sit still while i cover them with paper towels :eek:

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can guarantee someone here can walk you through the process for a discount. ;)

Can’t you just remove the twigs and stuff paper towel into the container and send it as is? :?

It would increase the weight but if they buyer is paying for S&H what do you care.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I took an opportunity to snap some pics of one of my favorite Heterascodra maculata "Ornamental Baboon" girls about a week after her last molt.

Here is a shot of her tank and 2 of her.

I love the coloration and markings of these guys. She's currently about 6" DL.