help me find the breed of my tarantula

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
How do you know if a tarantula is comfortable in its environment please?
This is a topic of great debate because every T is different, so there's no way of being sure. There are some things that tell you that they're not comfortable. If the tarantula is always moving and never settles down it is probably uncomfortable. The exception to that last rule however is mature males looking for mates. If they avoid touch the substrate it means the substrate is too wet. If they huddle in the corner it means either the temperature or humidity is incorrect. If his legs curl under him at any point that's a bad sign.

Bradley Rowbotham

Arachnopeon
This is a topic of great debate because every T is different, so there's no way of being sure. There are some things that tell you that they're not comfortable. If the tarantula is always moving and never settles down it is probably uncomfortable. The exception to that last rule however is mature males looking for mates. If they avoid touch the substrate it means the substrate is too wet. If they huddle in the corner it means either the temperature or humidity is incorrect. If his legs curl under him at any point that's a bad sign.
Okay thanks he just chills quite central in the tank and then moves to get water every now and then

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As i've said yesterday, there's no need for food (they think only to 0.1), nor everything else. It's a mature male, and mature males doesn't live that much after the 'maturity' molt. This vary of course but still.
Now you said that you don't like spiders and i assume you doesn't desire to jump in the hobby (correct me if i'm wrong).
IMO the only thing that you should do is: use 'England', your country, and give that MM to England enthusiasts. Don't worry, they will ID him ;-)
It's literally full England (not to mention the whole UK) of T's enthusiasts.
Even the spider would be happy.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
As i've said yesterday, there's no need for food (they think only to 0.1), nor everything else. It's a mature male, and mature males doesn't live that much after the 'maturity' molt. This vary of course but still.
There is no need to NOT feed a mature male. If they eat it, then obviously, they were hungry. Why would you deny food to a hungry animal simply because he's going to be dead in however many months?

Bradley Rowbotham

Arachnopeon
There is no need to NOT feed a mature male. If they eat it, then obviously, they were hungry. Why would you deny food to a hungry animal simply because he's going to be dead in however many months?
I'm gonna help it live its life for a long as possible

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Now you said that you don't like spiders and i assume you doesn't desire to jump in the hobby (correct me if i'm wrong).
IMO the only thing that you should do is: use 'England', your country, and give that MM to England enthusiasts. Don't worry, they will ID him ;-)
It's literally full England (not to mention the whole UK) of T's enthusiasts.
Even the spider would be happy.

No need for food? A hungry animal that wants to eat, and denying it food just because it won't live long? That's just cruel, I'm sorry to say. You guys are blowing this MM thing way out of proportion. I have a MM T and it eats verociously, and has been alive for about a year now. Don't scare the new guy out of the hobby.

cold blood

Staff member
I have a MM T and it eats verociously, and has been alive for about a year now. Don't scare the new guy out of the hobby.
Scare him? How are we scaring him?:rofl: We are presenting facts, many MMs do in fact show minimal interest in food, yours is an exception.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Scare him? How are we scaring him?:rofl: We are presenting facts, many MMs do in fact show minimal interest in food, yours is an exception.
I guess it is better to present facts. It just seems like every other post says something about his T being a MM. Being a beginner, he could react in a variety of ways (no offense here, Brad, it's normal) and if he, for example, ignored important health issues due to the T being a MM, it could die a premature death.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
What are these health issues associated with a MM?
"Oh look! My tarantulas abdomen is shrunken, and his legs are starting to curl under him. It's ok though! My tarantula is a MM and the people on AB said he'd die soon anyway."

If this scenario would have played out, the tarantula would have died prematurely. Instead of him trying to save the T in an ICU unit, he would have played it off and let it go because the T is a MM. It's a long shot, but it could happen.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Bugmom @Tenevanica

Sorry, yesterday had a big headache, let me rephrase that statement.
I was talking (only) trying to enter into the point of view of someone who isn't into spiders, nor wants to join the hobby, but ended up for some reasons with a MM.

Of course they need to eat. I forgot to add "worry". Just that if they don't eat, nor they are too much interested in that, do not (Bradley) worry much for the "he doesn't eat" issue.
I've said that combined with the advice to gave asap that Theraphosidae to other England enthusiasts, IMO the best thing to do. This because MM aren't exactly the best for start the hobby, and they need 0.1 it's sad to watch those die alone without a lady.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Prior to the 2003 ban, we had a MM Hysterocrates gigas we breed (he wasn't mine, btw), he wasn't interested in food at all, only into making holes everywhere lol. I remember cricket/s walking near him, poor guy.

Last edited: