Help choosing a Fossorial/O.B. companion

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
A "trick" I can give you that always worked (and still works) for me, when it comes to O.B Theraphosidae that needs a more humid environment, is, aside for preparing a week before the enclosure, to add a bit of vermiculite (fine grain only, not the "rough" one) in the substrate. Mix that. But as I've said, just a bit.

This helps in the long run to mantain the humidity level :-s
I have always read about individuals using vermiculite in the substrate. When I was younger I remember looking for some but could never find any. I'll just order some if I cant find any locally because I have had small issues with the coco fiber drying and layering in my vivariums, yet not in the paludarium haha. Would you happen to know a good source for an approximate amount to mix into the substrate?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
That's beautiful. Looks kind of similar to an X. immanis to me. I'll continue looking for more information on them. I don't think I've ever seen one for sale even.
I saw the MF for sale and jumped when I saw the pic. She was for sale in the classifieds for over a month. Last I saw, Steve Tanabe from arachnoiden.com had slings.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have always read about individuals using vermiculite in the substrate. When I was younger I remember looking for some but could never find any. I'll just order some if I cant find any locally because I have had small issues with the coco fiber drying and layering in my vivariums, yet not in the paludarium haha. Would you happen to know a good source for an approximate amount to mix into the substrate?
I use this one:

http://reptyfood.com/vermiculite-e-perlite/356-vermiculitte-fina-4lt.html

Now 4 lt. ah ah it's a lot, needless to say I still have 90% of that since I use that only for Asian/Tropical Theraphosidae. I say a bit less than a tea spoon, man. Mixed well in the substrate.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I saw the MF for sale and jumped when I saw the pic. She was for sale in the classifieds for over a month. Last I saw, Steve Tanabe from arachnoiden.com had slings.
That's great, and this website has pretty good pricing as well. Thank you.

Chris LXXIX: Haha yes, 4L is a lot, but at least it's cheap. Thanks for the link.

HybridReplicate: That may be the best presentation I've seen regarding this hobby. I'll definitely be saving that link.

cold blood

Staff member
Luckily for me, the glass lid that came with it has slight deformities to the contour of the edges, allowing decent ventilation without being a tarantula sized hole.
Ok, correct me if I am wrong, but what I read there is that the only ventilation is at the edges of the top....if this is true, its a terrible idea and you are set up for virtual disaster. Premo ventilation is critical with this type of set up.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Ok, correct me if I am wrong, but what I read there is that the only ventilation is at the edges of the top....if this is true, its a terrible idea and you are set up for virtual disaster. Premo ventilation is critical with this type of set up.
Is that because it will specifically contain a tarantula, or because of something else? Because I have had similar setups, just minus an arachnid and it worked well.

cold blood

Staff member
Is that because it will specifically contain a tarantula, or because of something else? Because I have had similar setups, just minus an arachnid and it worked well.
Yes, add a t and now you have a predator prey thing going on, and the waste leftover...its impossible to get it all, especially with a fossorial that will horde waste in a burrow. It won't take long to become a mold factory without significantly better ventilation.

An empty container is quite a different thing, and significantly easier to accomplish.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Nothing and indeed cheap, but was only for give you the idea, because I doubt they will ship outside Italy man :-/
I did not consider that. Well, hopefully the Lowe's or Home Depot will have some. And I think I'll be changing some things around as it goes along. I'm just kind of seeing how it sits for a while before I buy a tarantula anyways.

cold blood

Staff member
I'd put more sub in, too. That thing could (and already does) look really cool when all finished and burrowed up.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Yes, add a t and now you have a predator prey thing going on, and the waste leftover...its impossible to get it all, especially with a fossorial that will horde waste in a burrow. It won't take long to become a mold factory without significantly better ventilation.

An empty container is quite a different thing, and significantly easier to accomplish.
I was under the impression that tarantulas generally would push the remains out of the living space. At least my GBB did. Well either way, I believe the container itself is made of acrylic, so I may be able to drill some holes on the sides.
When I meant I had similar setups, I just meant ones without a tarantula. I have had similar ones with geckos and frogs, and they created much more waste than my tarantula did haha.
But thank you for your advice, I will find more routes for airflow.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I'd put more sub in, too. That thing could (and already does) look really cool when all finished and burrowed up.
You're right, I was just a little apprehensive about how close to the lid I should fill it, depending on what tarantula I put in it. No way was I going to have the lid only a couple inches from an H. lividum lol.
Have you had success at starting a hole for the tarantula and it actually using it?

cold blood

Staff member
Have you had success at starting a hole for the tarantula and it actually using it?
I always offer a hide and press a few fingers under it to give them a place to look inviting, generally they are used, sometimes the t just starts a burrow at some other random point in the enclosure.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I always offer a hide and press a few fingers under it to give them a place to look inviting, generally they are used, sometimes the t just starts a burrow at some other random point in the enclosure.
That's almost what I'm hoping for. I've always preferred things to happen more naturally, but then again, it would be interesting to have the burrow against the side. As long as I could find a decent way to keep the tunnel covered for darkness.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems some of my old work is being posted here. I've advanced it and tweaked some things, but as per the mold, waste, and left over prey issues find a source of dwarf isopods. A mix of dwarf purple and dwarf white usually go into my terrariums. They are too small to be considered prey by the arachnid and they consume decaying plant and animal matter. Springtails are also handy. The best sources for these are from dart frog suppliers, but sites like Roach Crossing and Bugs in Cyberspace have them as well.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
It seems some of my old work is being posted here. I've advanced it and tweaked some things, but as per the mold, waste, and left over prey issues find a source of dwarf isopods. A mix of dwarf purple and dwarf white usually go into my terrariums. They are too small to be considered prey by the arachnid and they consume decaying plant and animal matter. Springtails are also handy. The best sources for these are from dart frog suppliers, but sites like Roach Crossing and Bugs in Cyberspace have them as well.
Thank you for the information, I just ordered a group of the dwarf isopods and some springtails.

Everything is starting to come together nicely. I will post an update with photographs when the enclosure is ready and the tarantula has arrived.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Update
The tarantula has arrived. It is a female E. cyanognathus and has an approximate legspan of 2.5 inches.

The packaging she arrived in could have been mistaken for a tarantula space shuttle. Very nice.

At first she was unresponsive to anything except a light breeze, which worried me somewhat because today is warmer than usual. But after she sat on her moss for a while, she became mobile. Either she is very tired (expectedly) or she is the least skittish tarantula I have seen. The response she gave me when I attempted to move her with a moist paper towel was more unperturbed than lethargic, and given a few minutes alone, she found her starting burrow I had made and positioned herself with her front legs at the entrance. 1 (1).jpg

It has been almost four hours since she got here. She only spent about half an hour in the pre-made burrow, it seems she prefers the moss so far. She has already christened her home by defecating on the lid. She must have shot it up there, because I haven't seen her climb yet.

Notes
Since the last picture I have added two-three inches of substrate.
The isopod and springtail delivery was delayed until next week.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Update
The tarantula has arrived. It is a female E. cyanognathus and has an approximate legspan of 2.5 inches.

The packaging she arrived in could have been mistaken for a tarantula space shuttle. Very nice.

At first she was unresponsive to anything except a light breeze, which worried me somewhat because today is warmer than usual. But after she sat on her moss for a while, she became mobile. Either she is very tired (expectedly) or she is the least skittish tarantula I have seen. The response she gave me when I attempted to move her with a moist paper towel was more unperturbed than lethargic, and given a few minutes alone, she found her starting burrow I had made and positioned herself with her front legs at the entrance. View attachment 234229

It has been almost four hours since she got here. She only spent about half an hour in the pre-made burrow, it seems she prefers the moss so far. She has already christened her home by defecating on the lid. She must have shot it up there, because I haven't seen her climb yet.

Notes
Since the last picture I have added two-three inches of substrate.
The isopod and springtail delivery was delayed until next week.
Ah ah... very nice. I need me some Ephebopus!!! Her behavior is normal, nothing to worry about. :) Good luck with your t!!