Has anyone? Lost and found...........

roaddog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is the longest time you have had a tarantula escapee away from its cage then found it?

I was cleaning up the tarantula room and cleaning cages and I was lucky to find a 3 inch P. formosa that escaped 3 months ago when it was just an inch long.

I also found a 3+ inch P. regalis (FAT) in my lobster roach colony. This was another sling that escaped probably about 6 months ago!

I know I have a few of A. avic and OBT slings loose. Maybe they will pop up larger in the next few months. They have 3 turtle tanks for water and more than enough food!

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
wow your Regalis hid for six months.
My longest escapee was 2 days.

Need to go tell my T's to buck up now{D:cool:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have never had anything escape so far.. Been in the hobby for a little over a year now..

I am actually curious how people have so many escapes.. I personally can't risk an escape.. Especially with any OW Ts..

Though.. The closest to an escape I have ever had was with a S. calceatum.. I was packing it up for shippment.. It shot out on the table & hightailed it to the nearest nook on the bottom side of the table..

Everytime I got close it ran.. If you knew the speed of those things then you could only imagine the trouble I was having catching that little thing.. It was only an inch at that.. So I didn't want to squish it..

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I knew what would happen to me if I had a loose OBT... a year later it would simply run across the room and bite me just for the heck of it...

Having a loose OBT sounds like bad news. Hope you find the other guys.

Marga

Rayven

Arachnopeon
I have never had any escapes and don't plan to. IMO, it comes across as irresponsible to have a lot of escapees. I understand that occasionally there might be one, no matter how diligent a person is, but if someone keeps having them, they need to take steps to remedy the situation or at least decide to NEVER keep anything dangerous. ( Of course people can be allergic to even non-dangerous T's, but you can at least minimize the risk by only keeping NW T's.)

I get annoyed at people who keep potentially dangerous animals and don't take precautions. It reminds me of a couple of moronic rednecks I used to be casual acquaintances with who'd keep venomous snakes in regular cages with a heavy book holding down the screen lid, like that was sufficient security. I wanted to kick their azzes. I turned them in after they called me to help them hunt down a Gaboon Viper that got loose. Idiots like that deserve to die but I couldn't risk an innocent person coming across the escapee so I helped them find it. :mad:

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
3 weeks

I have 2 Aphonopelma Sp. "Payson" slings loose in my apartment and crickets loose as well....soooo? Maybe one day I will find them. Going on 3 weeks now and counting.

roaddog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rayven

Rayven

Relax.... This is a friendly discussion. Send me your address so I can send you a BREAK-A-WAY box with baby Gaboon Vipers! LOL (Joke!)

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sweet...

Eh it happens.Glad you found them though....If you deal with enough critters and are moving quite a few in/out of your house,its bound to happen sooner or later to just about everybody....Rodie,shoot me that box of gaboons,lol.......

pok2010

Arachnopeon
been in this awesome hobby for 10+ years and have never lost any =], iv had a few go for a run on me but never got far ;P

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never had anything escape so far.. Been in the hobby for a little over a year now..

I am actually curious how people have so many escapes.. I personally can't risk an escape.. Especially with any OW Ts..
same here. although my houdini vagans gave me quite a scare that one time as i chased it around the counter and stove top for twenty minutes trying to catch it :wall:

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i had a lasiadora make it nearly a year, no joke, before the cats finally found it (i found what was left of it), a MM p.reduncus loose for three months, and about a year later im STILL finding OBTs from a sac that hatched and escaped while i was out of town

had a small purpurea escape and found it a week later in my dubia bin fat as hell...i think thats about it :eek:

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh man ive had several,here we go with the first,

.5 inch obt lost it and found it about 9 weeks later at about two inches ,i also got pics of me holding her she was a sweet obt

i lost another obt i got from you roaddog its been awhile too havent seen it yet

and a poecilotheria fasciata went into a hole in my wall never came back, although its been almost 6 months i swore up and down i heard strumming last night but its funny i have know mms right now .....whoops i forgot i have a mm p. formosa

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Ive had a few escapes that were preventable. Then ive had some others that i would say are more of a fluke rather than lapse in judgment. (mostly slings) Like opening an enclosure for a sling and boom it shoots off and its gone. I have 60+ Ts and im not going to take every single one to a area that is huge and open just incase they bail. Most the time when they bolt i can get them in time. (i keep a cup handy or my hands empty now) It happens. Now if i were dealing with deadly snakes or scorpions that wouldnt be an option. Thats one of the reasons i dont want any deadly scorpions. I dont want to worry about killing anyone, myself included. To the people that havn't had any escapes: :clap: Just wait, this is a long hobby.

Longest escape still in progress. 1" P regalis .75" C. fimbriatus
Longest one found to date. H. albostriatum was found in the laundry hamper. Missing 7 days. She is doing great now. That was 7 months ago.

Last edited:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the longest escape I had was maybe all of 5 or 10 minutes. A little A. sp. "peru purple" sling jumped from it's vial into my lap and vanished during a feeding. I eventually found the little bugger near my nightstand, alive, but obviously shaken. I almost lost him again trying to wrangle him back into the vial. I'd already been planning to move all my avics into upside down cubed containers, but that was the final mark towards the decision, lol.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also found a 3+ inch P. regalis (FAT) in my lobster roach colony. This was another sling that escaped probably about 6 months ago!

lol so awesome. Guess it found a good spot to chill.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been finding H.villosella spiderlings all over our house. We have caught 5 so far. I think they have been escaping from the communal we have going. These are tiny!

:? Wade

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
My .5" pulchra got loose a couple days after I got it. We found it in the bathroom about a week later. It had doubled in size while it was out.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I had some OBT babies get loose. About 10 of them escaped from a comunal.

I was finding them everywhere! I even woke up in the middle of the night and had one crawling in bed with me! :eek:

I think it was snuggling me because it was cold.. {D

I like them more than ever now. I found 8 of them so far. I think thats the last of the survivers.

One of these days im goin to wake up to a pair of OBTs hugging my face. {D

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a baby B albopilosum escape, found it about 4 months later in a tobacco hornworm colony (moth breeding cage). It had quadrupled in size!