Has anyone? Lost and found...........

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My longest Escape was an H mac female she got out on me when I was feeding her. After an hour trying to tear the couch apart my wife saw her on the arm in a defensive position wanting a hug. My wife was po'd at me for quite a while.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a 3.5 inch boehmei on the loose due to me just being an idiot.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
After being in the hobby for about a year and a half, my only "escape" was when my H. mac decided to bolt out of it's enclosure, right onto my hand, then straight to the top of my head. Let's just say it was not the most settling situations I've been in.:eek: Happy ending: Got it back into the enclosure in about 5 minutes and it's lived happily ever after.

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Had my first escape 2weeks ago. My A. Hentzi was loose for 5days. We have 2dogs & a cat- I figured if I ever saw her again she would be dead. One night my fiance saw the dogs on either side of a laptop bag, just staring. He shooed them away, moved the bag & there was matilda. He said she looked like a little fuzzball because she was so scrunched up, trying to hide :rolleyes:

Edit: I still have NO clue how she got out, but she now has weights on top of her tank.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i love how i posted this and not a month later i have my first escapee! talk about eating my words.

i'll be reposting if my pulchripes ever does show back up, but its unlikely given the fact i'm moving in less than a month...
well since i said i'd repost if i did, i found my G. pulchripes in my kitchen not a foot further from where it bolted almost a month ago while packing the last of my boxes. so the longest i've had an escape is about 20 days. i cetainly hope to never have one again, since i had pretty much written her off. proof you shouldn't give up hope, stay vigilant if you have an escapee!

also, the irony of finding "sushi" in a frying pan was not lost on me. sense of humour that one... {D

Last edited:

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
Best Christmas Present!

One of my Grammostola rosea sub-adults escaped during an enclosure change in mid May of 2008.(I guess that is what I get for walking away and figuring a terrestrial species is not going anywhere) I thought I found her once but it was only an empty molt in a closet of the house. I gave up looking for her and thought she was gone for good. The most amusing part was how and when she finally made a guest appearance. Christmas of 2008! While we were all gathered around the tree christmas morning, I was sorting through the pile of presents and picked up a gift for my son. My Rosie was sitting on it and apparently claimed the present for her own. She scared the hell out of me and the entire family. I guess Santa must have found her that night and figured I have been good enough for a present as well. She just sat there while I grabbed a jar and recaptured her. She was not in the best of shape but is still going strong now. 8 months on the prowl. It amazes me how hardy of a species this T is. Merry Christmas! :clap:

Last edited:

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
I lost my 2inch p. Pederseni on nov. 7th 2010 and found her on christmas morning 2 feet away from where she was lost. On my window sill

user 666

Arachnobaron
I had a curly hair escape for about 3 months before he turned up in the kitchen. (He just escaped again - yes, the enclosure needs to be replaced!)

I've also had a couple Ts try to do do a runner while transferring them to a new enclosure. I don't count those as escapes, though, because I caught them right away.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I had a curly hair escape for about 3 months before he turned up in the kitchen. (He just escaped again - yes, the enclosure needs to be replaced!)
:meh::banghead:
maybe take up a different hobby if you dont want to keep your tarantulas safe?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
what a warm and welcoming forum.

In related news, bite me.
Well, man, you had a spider escape and then proceeded to put it back into the enclosure that it escaped from :rofl: Making an enclosure escape proof is literally step #1 of this hobby. Don't expect a warm welcome if you don't care about the animals we advocate for.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I just realized that I should not engage the troll(s). There's a reason why this forum has a block option.

Sorry for the disturbance, everyone!

cold blood

Staff member

I've also had a couple Ts try to do do a runner while transferring them to a new enclosure. I don't count those as escapes, though, because I caught them right away.
To be fair...you also just posted about a missing ornata as well. So the criticism seems to be warranted....no offense....just sayin'

Good luck locating them.

cold blood

Staff member
:meh::banghead:
maybe take up a different hobby if you dont want to keep your tarantulas safe?
And again, to be fair, there is a long list of users in this very thread that seem to have done even worse than the new guy.

I just read through this whole thread...shaking my head and face palming the whole time.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And again, to be fair, there is a long list of users in this very thread that seem to have done even worse than the new guy.

I just read through this whole thread...shaking my head and face palming the whole time.
I completely agree, and in all honesty I'm not able to figure out how it's possible to have such a lot of bite reports, including from pet rock/s ones, and all of those escapes stories.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I commend you for being willing to admit you had an escapee. Most people are not willing to admit their goofs. Posting about them IS a good thing to alert other people who are new to the hobby that proper steps must be done to protect the T's.

I haven't had any long term escapes. But I don't own any MM T's either. Protection against escape for slings is much easier when doing maintenance or rehousing. I have worried a few times about my vent holes.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
7 years ago I had a G. porteri escape a temporary enclosure for a couple hours. Found her in the laundry room. Besides that, in 10 years I've been pretty lucky. I'm about to start producing more bebes, so we'll see how long my streak goes with a ton more slings around.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
In reading through this thread it is amazing (if not a bit frightening) how many escapes have happened. Some have multiple escapes.
I feel like properly made secure enclosures (or proper pre-made ones like non cracked Kritter Keepers) should make the prospect of an escape virtually null.