Has anyone? Lost and found...........

Edd Eskimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was gone for a business trip for a week and when I returned I found out some children went into my bedroom and opened my female P.regalis enclosure...

About a month and a half later I heard my younger brother screaming saying he found her outside! She was in a 1in drainage pipe in the side of the wall outside! Took a week to get her out:rolleyes: she kept on running inside the pipe in the wall... She was a Fatty as well when I got her back:D:D

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
Lost one of my Trinidad Chevrons during rehousing - twice! Very tiny sling, miraculously found it just a few minutes later.

I want to work on my Cobalt Blue's enclosure, add a burrow, but I'm too scared of it to try to get it out and contained.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When people come to our house and start asking the normal questions about our Ts, one of the first ones that comes up is "what if they get out?" Our answer is always, we wouldn't have them if they could get out. We have under 30 though, do not breed, or have communals, but it is mind bottling how many Ts some of you have running loose.....:eek:.... We lost our P. cambridgei for close to 15 minutes after unpacking her, but she was the very first sling and the first we ever unpacked too. We haven't made that mistake again and I intend to have it remain that way.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Haven't lost any Ts for more than a day...usually misjudgment of T vs. lid strength or packaging for shipping. Have had a couple of centipede escapes early on:

-while on vacay, my workmate didn't secure the lid on a particularly grumpy, 7" "Cherry red" subspinipes. it reappeared as we were preparing for bed 4 weeks later from under my dresser.

-left an E. trigonopodus in a temp. container for an outreach & didn't notice the hole in the lid. i found it rearing up at a very confused cat under the dining room table 6 weeks later.

Fortunately, I've managed to find everything escaped or it has found me.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Lasiodora Parahybana sling (1.5") running loose for a month now. If it's alive it should be 3/4" since my other two slings molted since then.

k2power

Arachnoknight
Those stories are hilarious. I definitely would not want a 7" Scolopendra running loose especially a Vietnamese one. Scary. too bad the black widow keepers aren't reading this. I bet they have some hatching stories for all of us.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Had a singapore blue around 3.5" escape from the dumb enclosure I made... (Lid couldn't shut well), and my parents caught it in the store room 2 weeks later.
It looked quite dehydrated, but it was fine a part from that.

Had many adult S.S.Mutilans escape before, all were found.
Some were in my mom's bedroom, some in the kitchen drain.
I found out they were able to squeeze through the KK's lid after 2 months of them disappearing...

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Several years ago I had an immature T. gigas get out of a sub-par enclosure and disappear for 2 weeks in my bedroom--I finally found her hanging out in the window curtain.
Around that time I also lost an H. mac male while I was trying to pack him for shipping--he took off in a fairly small bathroom and it took me 2 hours to find him. He was in the shower curtain.

So if I ever have another escape, the curtains will be the first place I look. :p

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow. I just joined the boards, got my first T today. She's a rosehaired chilean. I hope she never escapes.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Longest escape I've had was chasing my pokie around the ceiling for 20 minutes =p

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
same here. although my houdini vagans gave me quite a scare that one time as i chased it around the counter and stove top for twenty minutes trying to catch it :wall:
i love how i posted this and not a month later i have my first escapee! talk about eating my words.

i'll be reposting if my pulchripes ever does show back up, but its unlikely given the fact i'm moving in less than a month...

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
In the roughly 12 years I've been in the hobby, I've never lost anything for more than a half hour. One was a T. cupreus that escaped down a drain, and the other was an OBT that did a runner behind a frog tank (had to dismantle it to get the little bugger).

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
I just found my 1" G rosea the other day. It was missing for ~10 days. I still dont know how it escaped, it was in a small closed kritter keeper.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i love how i posted this and not a month later i have my first escapee! talk about eating my words.

i'll be reposting if my pulchripes ever does show back up, but its unlikely given the fact i'm moving in less than a month...

Lol go back in a few weeks dressed as a exterminator and tell them they have a giant spider problem. Bring some molts and show them how big you think it will be and look around lol. (obviously don't do this).

I've lost 1-2 H. incei because they were small enough to fit through a crack in the lid (I patched it up since then)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Only T I have lost was a C. schioedtei sling. One day I came home for work, sat in my computer chair glanced over and realized a top of a vial was half off. After about five minutes of turning up clothes and searching in a panic, I decide to go smoke a cigarette in the stressful moment to calm my nerves and to prepare for the search and rescue mission that I was about to pursue. On my way outside, I passed a mirror and happened to take a glance. Little to my surprise there was a cute little spider perched on my shoulder thinking he's a parrot. Still to this day I wonder how he got there. He was out for some exercise for under 24 hours and I only knew about it for ten minutes.:D

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My longest escape: 32 days C. schioedtei sling. I checked twice every day and eventually found it exactly where i expected it to be...

Bug Trader

Arachnopeon
I'd say Ive only been in the arachnid hobby for about 5 years though Ive kept a few Tarantulas for about fifteen and the only escapee Ive had issues with is a five inch female P. Regalis that escaped when one of the first vents I put in a viv popped off. She has been loose for about six months and lives under the fridge. We have turned it on its side and looked for her but never see her. Now and then she will appear on the wal or ceiling near the fridge and she gives me a run for my money and gets away. I have thick glaves and 9'' containers on stand by but have not have a chance to get her yet.
Other than that one makes a run for it now and then but I get them. As for the venomous snakes Ive kept them getting loose is not an option. I have been woke up a time or two with a python climbing into bed with my wife and I.

Michael

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd say Ive only been in the arachnid hobby for about 5 years though Ive kept a few Tarantulas for about fifteen and the only escapee Ive had issues with is a five inch female P. Regalis that escaped when one of the first vents I put in a viv popped off. She has been loose for about six months and lives under the fridge. We have turned it on its side and looked for her but never see her. Now and then she will appear on the wal or ceiling near the fridge and she gives me a run for my money and gets away. I have thick glaves and 9'' containers on stand by but have not have a chance to get her yet.
Other than that one makes a run for it now and then but I get them. As for the venomous snakes Ive kept them getting loose is not an option. I have been woke up a time or two with a python climbing into bed with my wife and I.

Michael
Sure it was a python? Somethimes there's a python in my bed as well, but the wife doesn't mind;P

Vespula

Arachnodemon
hehe. I found out what a cool sound an OBT's little feet make while running around the bathtub... That was cool, but she didn't stay gone long. She ran into a cup and I put her back in her tank. :D

Bug Trader

Arachnopeon
Sure it was a python? Somethimes there's a python in my bed as well, but the wife doesn't mind;P
Yeah this is an eleven foot Barneck scrub. Wife doesnt like this one in the bed. Bit her foot the last time it happened.
I did see the Regalis this morning on the side of the fridge, Everytime I approach she is gone in an instant. Any Ideas? I tried laying a few 5 gallons on the floor around the fridge with a few crickets and some drift wood inside but she is never in them when I check.

Michaekl