Harpactira Pulchripes Bite ? Extremely bad ?

Rabid Mouse

Arachnopeon
I heard somewhere on Y.Tube the "Golden Blue Foot Baboon" had a horrible bite with sickness and pain for over a week ? Hopefully someone can tell me something different cause otherwise theyre rather awesome looking and apparently docile !

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Any spider of Harpactirinae has potent venom. They are not docile either.

So yes a bite would be just as nasty as any other old world species.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I can't find a bite report but they're an old world species so the venom will probably pack quite a punch (symptoms can include but probably aren't limited to: pain, swelling, muscle spasms, nausea, vomiting, and heart palpitations).

Also, from what I gather, they're quite skittish and can be defensive at times.

Rabid Mouse

Arachnopeon
If this is your first tarantula (or one of your first tarantulas), @EulersK made these videos highlighting some beginner species:

Thanks ... Got my first 2 Caribena Versicolor slings this Sunday. Already came acrosse those vids and am thinking of getting the first on the list Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens soon ! Think ill try and avoid venomous ones despite the temptation of a H.Pulchripes.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
All tarantulas are venemous. The bite from the versicolor and chromatopelma is not as significant as that of Harpactira.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
From my experience H.Pulchripes is in general more chill than other "baboons" but the common misconception is this means they are docile, they are not... Absolutely gorgeous T's though...

Rabid Mouse

Arachnopeon
All tarantulas are venemous. The bite from the versicolor and chromatopelma is not as significant as that of Harpactira.
Sorry ... I meant Extremely Venemous .. Apparently the Bite of the Caribena Versicolor is equivalent to a Wasp sting .. As far as the H.Pulchripes I Y. Tubed that is the most Docile (slow moving) of the Baboon Family .... but still not recommended handling ... also likes to remain out in the open . Apparently it also depends on the individual spiders "personality" . Probably not a good idea selling to Minors. Not for Handling.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Sorry ... I meant Extremely Venemous .. Apparently the Bite of the Caribena Versicolor is equivalent to a Wasp sting .. As far as the H.Pulchripes I Y. Tubed that is the most Docile (slow moving) of the Baboon Family .... but still not recommended handling ... also likes to remain out in the open . Apparently it also depends on the individual spiders "personality" . Probably not a good idea selling to Minors. Not for Handling.
Ah I see, yes!

From my experience keeping many of this species, I can tell you that they are fairly reclusive. Unless the husbandry isnt adequate, I wouldnt put money on them being out in the open much. There are other baboon species that are usually on show more.

When it comes to temperament of H. pulchripes it obviously varies for each specimen. But I keep 4x adult females and they are all nasty as hell and 5 males that are ridiculously fast and skittish. I get threat postures from them quite easily. I have 10 juveniles and all are extremely fast, skittish and spook easy, and the same can be said for the spiderlings.

Even though beautiful they are probably not the best beginner baboon if you are looking for a calmer temperament.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two females that are incredibly laid back and chill. Both webbed up their enclosures and sit right out in the open all day (even though I gave them plenty of room to burrow and hide). As slings they were a bit more skittish and secretive, but they've apparently grown out of that behavior. That said, a buddy of mine had a male that was a complete maniac. Temperaments can differ between specimens. Overall, it sounds like these guys are one of the more calm Old World species, but they would still pack a heck of a bite if threatened. A gorgeous spider deserving of respect and caution.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If you want a baboon with calmer temperament, look into Harpactira namaquensis, Harpactira cafreriana or E. pachypus

cold blood

Staff member
Sorry ... I meant Extremely Venemous .. Apparently the Bite of the Caribena Versicolor is equivalent to a Wasp sting .. As far as the H.Pulchripes I Y. Tubed that is the most Docile (slow moving) of the Baboon Family .
Dont try to learn ANYTHING from you tube....its like learning island survival by watching gilligans island.

Theres no such thing as a slower moving OW....theyre quite fast....even big bulky OWs like P. muticus are ridicolously fast.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I have two females that are incredibly laid back and chill. Both webbed up their enclosures and sit right out in the open all day (even though I gave them plenty of room to burrow and hide). As slings they were a bit more skittish and secretive, but they've apparently grown out of that behavior. That said, a buddy of mine had a male that was a complete maniac. Temperaments can differ between specimens. Overall, it sounds like these guys are one of the more calm Old World species, but they would still pack a heck of a bite if threatened. A gorgeous spider deserving of respect and caution.
Yup, my H. pulchripes is relatively "calm" as well, but it'll still throw up a threat posture when I go to fill its water dish up, haha. They don't seem to be quite as psycho as a lot of other baboons (like Pterinochilus spp., though I don't own any of those yet), but they definitely aren't docile by any stretch of the imagination.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup, my H. pulchripes is relatively "calm" as well, but it'll still throw up a threat posture when I go to fill its water dish up, haha. They don't seem to be quite as psycho as a lot of other baboons (like Pterinochilus spp., though I don't own any of those yet), but they definitely aren't docile by any stretch of the imagination.
I've gotten two threat poses from mine, and both came when a cricket hopped onto them, startling them. Besides that, they've been sweethearts. That said, I wouldn't label the species as "docile"...I just have two very chill specimens. :)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I wonder why everyone else has 'chill' specimens but me? Maybe I have all the nasty ones? :vamp:
This is why it's important to have as many baboon spp. as possible...... to make sure you get some with a seriously rude attitude. :p

Rabid Mouse

Arachnopeon
If you want a baboon with calmer temperament, look into Harpactira namaquensis, Harpactira cafreriana or E. pachypus
Not necessarily looking for a Baboon . I seem to be developing an obsession for the more colourful species . Though I suppose that is more or less pointless if they hide away 90% of the time ... Not too venomous would be a plus ...