Handling hotter species.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hello nomad,

I teach 12-15 year old kids, I coach 5-15 year olds. From my experience you don't have to tail them something is okay for them to hear it. Lots of adults are the same way. That's why I'm opposed to people telling the world "Look I'm holding a scorpion that might kill me. you shouldn't do it but it's fine for me, I'm immune to the sting." Some one will see that and say "I can hold hot scorpions just like that guy."

When people hear what my hobby is I have to spend a few minutes explaining that it's safe and that I'm responsible enough to handle the hobby safely. Every YouTube video of some 19 year old clown holding his andro makes the whole hobby look suspect. It makes us look as if we need taking care of. Like we are to irresponsible to take care of ourselves. Down playing the danger or justifying that it won't hurt me or that lots of things can kill you doesn't make us look any better. It makes us look kind of stupid. Most people know that some scorpions can kill you. So when you say i handle hots but I'm real careful, or if it stings me I'll probably live, they know it sounds stupid. Look, If I told you that I like to play with guns, and that I'm not worried because if I get shot it will probably just be my arm or leg, you'd think I was an absolute idiot. I know it's not the best analogy, but I hope it helps to get my point across.

I know that some people will end up handling their scorpions. I don't do what everyone in this forum tells me to do. In fact I don't even bother to ask questions that aren't directly related to scorpion care. Questions like "should I handle my deadly scorpion?" will always end up in an argument. In the end I have to do the research on my own and make my own choice. The only reason I ended up posting on this thread was because I felt that some bad info was being put out to the public, and didn't want someone acting on that bad info. I posted earlier that handling hots should be like wearing women’s underwear. If you are going to do it, don't tell the whole neighborhood. I was joking of coarse but I was still trying to make a point. If you handle hots why brag about it. I do feel it's bragging on this post. What else could it be, when you make sure everyone knows all the species you've handled, or why your not worried about a sting killing you, because your real tough? People have to know this is a controversial subject so why stir up the pot unless they want to. It does nothing to help the hobby and could give people a negative perception of it. I hope people realize that this thread has over 1500 views. I can only hope some 12 year old didn't read part of it and now thinks handling hots isn't that dangerous.

John

Last edited:

RBJ

Arachnopeon
Personally I couldn't care less about ppl gambling with there own life but why tell and show us that if it's not to brag :confused:

When I tell ppl that I'm keeping T´s and scorps they always ask if I'm holding them and when I say 'No of cause' they look surprised and then asking 'Why I keep them then ?' I think to many ppl come into this hobby with that idears that this is why they should keep them cause thats what ppl do on youtube and on hobbysites like AB and others..And it's so cooooool :?

Last edited:

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just today they had a fellow on Dr. Phil (I was flipping channels) who does stunts online and the effects that it will have on the younger generations who are beginning to imitate him. He jumps into cars by ninja kicking in the glass, and also lets his friend drive a car while towing him behind on a skateboard of some sort to name a few. Well, kids are posting their own responses to the actions. They are doing insane stunts, too. Just to top each other or to 'feel that rush." People connececting and sharing STUPID ideas is not what the internet is supposed to do. It doesn't matter if you blame the parent for letting the kid see it or not, kids are kids and kids are here. Reading THIS. They're reading what you have handled and YOU might be the only bit of last encouragement they need to do it themselves. It is national news right now. Care a little about your affect on others. Is what you are fighting for proactive for other peoples lives?

I can make a list of CONS for you about handleing hots. Can you make me a list of PROS for handleing hots? If so, I imagine that my list will be about the people and yours will be self centered and selfish. Anyone want to give it a try?

Touch your DWAs, but keep it to yourself. When you advertise it or explain why it is ok except for IT'S MY RIGHT. You are wrong. Otherwise, it should be considered taboo IMO.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have handled and posted pics here of me handling Lq,Aa,Pt and an amoureuxi as well as M.gigas and a red back and I am still here ;P
I won't go into the pokies and baboons I have done but you get the message.
There is only one left to do......hahni and after that....it is finished.
Just so happens,I keep those too.
And doing this really showed what kind of person you are. Not only were you risking your own health (which I could care less about), but you were also setting a terrible example (nothing new there). Not to mention clearly disobeying the present laws in your country...

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IMO, there is NO reason to handle any scorpions actually.
If you really really want, go outside ,catch bees, and play with them or maybe catch a native venomous snake seen in your area. you'd better respect your scorpions and other hobbyist please.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, touch that and you're Mister Crispy :D{D
That is the thing, I have been hit a total of 3 times and I am still here to tell the story. Now, I am not going to play with live power to put a video up on youtube. But, I will work with live power at work, even though the potential is there.

Art

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A little off point, but relative in my opinion. I'm watching Anderson Cooper on CBS right now, free diving with Great White Sharks, after they chummed the water for an 45 minutes. No cage. Half a dozen......

Anyway.. And to the person who said inside we refer to people's races as derogatory terms, you are wrong. Many do I am sure, but most of us do not.
I only know a few people like that, and they are all over 50. :rolleyes:

Now many more do think or even say derogatory terms for muslims, but they are not the majority, and tend to be the least intelligent of society. ;)

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmm, the Volts (voltage) aren't dangerous, the Ampere's (current)are.....you say you work with 480 V, what is the Amp strenght?
Actually Michiel,in an electrical system,the current drawn is a relative to the voltage and resistance.
So if the guy had a body resistance of 100KΩ , there would be 48 milliamps being pulled by his body and more than enough to stop his heart.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually Michiel,in an electrical system,the current drawn is a relative to the voltage and resistance.
So if the guy had a body resistance of 100KΩ , there would be 48 milliamps being pulled by his body and more than enough to stop his heart.
I know Ohm's Law R= U: I, but thanks for explaining anyway.:D I just commented on that, because a million Volts with a very low current sounds dangerous, but isn't.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know Ohm's Law R= U: I, but thanks for explaining anyway.:D I just commented on that, because a million Volts with a very low current sounds dangerous, but isn't.
High voltage travels across the body rather than through it. I think Tesla used to show how safe AC was by running 1,000,000 volts over himself.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On topic: I think handling hots is stupid. It's very risky behavior for no good reason.

I kept venomous snakes for 10 years and I wasn't bitten because I minimized the chances for contact. I wasn't afraid of my animals but I did respect them. Did I have to handle them occasionally? Yes, but I did so in the safest manner possible to avoid hurting the animal or myself.

What happens if you are holding a hot scorp and it stings you? Do you fling it off to keep from getting stung again? I imagine that would kill the animal.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Are they any safe ways to handle/move "hot" species.

Im new, and only have had realitivily safe scorpions... Emps, Red Claws, Asian Forest.

I'm looking at getting some desert scop's tho... and am wondering about moving from different enclosures. Any Tricks of the Trade ?

Bammer

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are they any safe ways to handle/move "hot" species.

Im new, and only have had realitivily safe scorpions... Emps, Red Claws, Asian Forest.

I'm looking at getting some desert scop's tho... and am wondering about moving from different enclosures. Any Tricks of the Trade ?

Bammer
The safest way to move a scorpion is propably cupping them. Basically get the critter to walk into a smooth sided cup that it can't get out of. If you have a lid you can use that as well. I'd also use clear plastic as well. In some cases, like a communal, aboreal tank, it might be better to use a set of ten inch tweezers to get ahold of the scorpion by the tail close to the body. Then move it to a cup being held over the tank in caes the critter drops.

JOhn

super-pede

Arachnobaron
On topic: I think handling hots is stupid. It's very risky behavior for no good reason.

I kept venomous snakes for 10 years and I wasn't bitten because I minimized the chances for contact. I wasn't afraid of my animals but I did respect them. Did I have to handle them occasionally? Yes, but I did so in the safest manner possible to avoid hurting the animal or myself.

What happens if you are holding a hot scorp and it stings you? Do you fling it off to keep from getting stung again? I imagine that would kill the animal.
people who hold they're hot scorps do so in the safest manner possible.What happens if you get bit by that bushmaster or fer-de-lance?You'll probably die for one and you'll fling the serpent across the room.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
people who hold they're hot scorps do so in the safest manner possible.What happens if you get bit by that bushmaster or fer-de-lance?You'll probably die for one and you'll fling the serpent across the room.
You don't get bit because you NEVER free handle the animal. I've kept and worked with everything from cobras (Egyptian, black and red spitters, monocled, etc), Gaboons, rattlesnakes, copperheads, and all kinds of tree vipers (Ceylonese, Eyelash, Waglers, White-Lipped, etc.) and I NEVER free handled these animals. I've fed, watered, medicated, cleaned, etc and not once did I pick up a animal in my hand and offer it my flesh. There is no way around how irresponsible and stupid that is.

There is no 'safe' way to free handle venomous animals because there is no way of telling what will upset them and provoke an attack.

Last edited:

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You don't get bit because you NEVER free handle the animal. I've kept and worked with everything from cobras (Egyptian, black and red spitters, monocled, etc), Gaboons, rattlesnakes, copperheads, and all kinds of tree vipers (Ceylonese, Eyelash, Waglers, White-Lipped, etc.) and I NEVER free handled these animals. I've fed, watered, medicated, cleaned, etc and not once did I pick up a animal in my hand and offer it my flesh. There is no way around how irresponsible and stupid that is.

There is no 'safe' way to free handle venomous animals because there is no way of telling what will upset them and provoke an attack.
This is the point I have been trying to make, I have handled some of these snakes in the wild(rattlesnakes and copperheads as well as cotton mouths). Also you say that you do not fear these animals, yet if you have not free handle any of them you must at least fear the bite from one. My argument is not that people should handle venomous animals, but they should have the right to do so if they choose. Just like not everyone should jump out of an airplane with a parachute strapped to their back, but if one wants to do it they are able to.

Art

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the point I have been trying to make, I have handled some of these snakes in the wild(rattlesnakes and copperheads as well as cotton mouths). Also you say that you do not fear these animals, yet if you have not free handle any of them you must at least fear the bite from one. My argument is not that people should handle venomous animals, but they should have the right to do so if they choose. Just like not everyone should jump out of an airplane with a parachute strapped to their back, but if one wants to do it they are able to.

Art
That's funny. You must've missed the other part of his statement. Like the part that said....

"There is no way around how irresponsible and stupid that is. "

AND

"There is no 'safe' way to free handle venomous animals because there is no way of telling what will upset them and provoke an attack."

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only thing you are correct about so far is that it is YOUR decision and nobody can stop you from handleing DWAs that can take your life away.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also you say that you do not fear these animals, yet if you have not free handle any of them you must at least fear the bite from one.
No fear does not equal taking wild and reckless chances by free handling. A bite may or may not kill you, but at the very least, you are facing thousands in medical bills. Would you 'free handle' a wild tiger or elephant? You are taking the same risk.

And certainly, I would fear a bite. Ever heard of anaphylaxis?