H. incei surprise

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, This morning as I was about to do my rounds checking on my Ts, I noticed that the adult lateralis roach I put in one of my H. incei female canisters was still roaming around. I put the roach in there 5 days ago.

Anyway, I lifted the plastic canister and something white called my attention as I checked the underside of the canister. SHE DROPPED AN EGG SAC!!!

I recall putting a mature male in with her last December, but never really saw any actual inserts.

Do I just leave her alone? Do I need to spray the substrate? Will it help to put the canister somewhere darker?

Inputs please.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have no direct experience in breeding, but I do know that H.inceis are great mothers. My advice would be to keep the enclosure moist like its supposed to be for inceis and let her do her thing.

If someone else with more experience can chime in it would be great.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
H.incei make great mothers so if I were you I would just leave the sack with mom!She will even feed her offspring for you when they hatch ;]
-Chris

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's awesome! You should make up a bigger enclosure and throw mama and all her babies in there to start a communal...

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks! I'm so excited I can't wait to see the babies come out!!!

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep her humid. So mist it every now and then. Also keep feeding her, but kill the prey and drop it in front of her burrow. She'll still grab and eat them. I find doing this technique helps keep the mother from devouring the sac as she won't bother wandering out and grabbing a feeder insect. I do this for all the Holothele spp. and Heterothele spp. during an eggsac and after it hatches. They'll gladly take it and it prevents a hungry cricket or roach from eating a spiderling or from spooking the female into devouring her sac. I've had many females do so in larger tanks when I don't kill the prey items. As soon as I started prekilling prey it stopped. I'm not sure why this is the case though.

Light08

Arachnopeon
i know you can do it bosing, since you made many succesful briding of baeri..:clap:

bootdsc

Arachnopeon
Who is this spammer?

Just got a female Holothele incei and it's one amazing T, congratulations on the successful breading.

Side note, whats with "danvanbil" spamming all the active threads? I did check out his site and yeah there's a couple of good looking T's but that doesn't make up for the bad forum etiquette.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Keep her humid. So mist it every now and then. Also keep feeding her, but kill the prey and drop it in front of her burrow. She'll still grab and eat them. I find doing this technique helps keep the mother from devouring the sac as she won't bother wandering out and grabbing a feeder insect. I do this for all the Holothele spp. and Heterothele spp. during an eggsac and after it hatches. They'll gladly take it and it prevents a hungry cricket or roach from eating a spiderling or from spooking the female into devouring her sac. I've had many females do so in larger tanks when I don't kill the prey items. As soon as I started prekilling prey it stopped. I'm not sure why this is the case though.
Thanks! Your comments on the Holothele genus is always a welcome input here on the boards. I'm still really thinking about the bumblebee strains... ahhhh I WANT THEM!!! :wall:

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! Your comments on the Holothele genus is always a welcome input here on the boards. I'm still really thinking about the bumblebee strains... ahhhh I WANT THEM!!! :wall:

Thank you, but keep in mind what I know from experience and research only includes the Holothele spp. that are similar to Holothele incei as the rest of the genus needs to be reevaluated and separated. I did venture into the other side of the genus with what was called Holothele sp. NDS a few years ago, but they are merely tolerant of one another if the conditions are right. Their physical structure, temperament, and behavior are completely different from the potentially social Holothele spp.

I still have a lot to learn. :)

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you, but keep in mind what I know from experience and research only includes the Holothele spp. that are similar to Holothele incei as the rest of the genus needs to be reevaluated and separated. I did venture into the other side of the genus with what was called Holothele sp. NDS a few years ago, but they are merely tolerant of one another if the conditions are right. Their physical structure, temperament, and behavior are completely different from the potentially social Holothele spp.

I still have a lot to learn. :)
Too humble. Even makes you a greater person in my view. One more question. Do you think she's carrying a fertilized eggsac? Is this species known for producing sacs even with no interactions with mature males?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave their inputs. I will surely update this thread on the developments.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never had phantom/infertile sacs before that I know of. So from my experiences you most likely have a fertile sac. Even if she does consume it, if she did copulate, she will likely double clutch.

As for your other question as memory serves me someone on this forum suspects H.incei males can impregnate immature females in the same way Black Widow males do for juvenile females making it so that when the female matures she is already fertilized. The research they quoted states that in Black Widows it is a way for males to reproduce with out the risk of aggressive behavior from an adult female. I have not explored this as of yet with any of my immature females.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've never had phantom/infertile sacs before that I know of. So from my experiences you most likely have a fertile sac. Even if she does consume it, if she did copulate, she will likely double clutch.

As for your other question as memory serves me someone on this forum suspects H.incei males can impregnate immature females in the same way Black Widow males do for juvenile females making it so that when the female matures she is already fertilized. The research they quoted states that in Black Widows it is a way for males to reproduce with out the risk of aggressive behavior from an adult female. I have not explored this as of yet with any of my immature females.
Wow! I assume you meant that a pregnant immature female H. incei will still lay a fertilized eggsac after a molt? :?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! I assume you meant that a pregnant immature female H. incei will still lay a fertilized eggsac after a molt? :?

Yes. It has been proven in certain spider species, but not with tarantulas. It is only a theory I have heard. It will have to be researched properly to prove what the other board member suspects.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just an update!

Tonight when I checked underneath the mommy's plastic bin, I saw a lot of slings crawling inside the burrow!!!

YAHOO!!!!

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They do hatch fast. :)

Keep them with the mother and prekill a large prey item for her and a large prey item for the slings as soon as they gain dark colouration on their body. She'll usually take one of the prey items to the slings or allows them to feed on it while she is. Even when she no longer feeds them she can still be housed with them as long as they are all well fed. They'll stay in her burrow for some time.