Species Grammostola pulchripes (a.k.a. Grammostola aureostriata)

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
For a sling such size (more or less) you can use as water dish a little (but normal is ok either) water cup :-s
Well I'm not 100% sure the sizes are the same, that's why I asked. Mine is just past the 2" mark. I'm a bit perturbed because I was told by one person that it was ok to just get one small space of the substrate wet and it would be enough. :confused: After spending so much time browsing the threads and photos here, I'm seriously questioning that... I just want my "eight legged babies" to have the best life possible and not to screw up :anxious:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well I'm not 100% sure the sizes are the same, that's why I asked. Mine is just past the 2" mark. I'm a bit perturbed because I was told by one person that it was ok to just get one small space of the substrate wet and it would be enough. :confused: After spending so much time browsing the threads and photos here, I'm seriously questioning that... I just want my "eight legged babies" to have the best life possible and not to screw up :anxious:
I know what you mean, it's IMO normal after reading different things about the care for the same Theraphosidae.

Let's say that, since we are talking about hardy T's, both are valid. Yes, slings are more delicate than adults, that's why... but I can guarantee you that leaving only a water dish is just fine, for one of that genus T's.

I have a G.rosea sling, little than 2", housed in a plastic cricket box (the European style ones... I don't know if you have present those now) and, inside, there's a little water cup as a water dish. Zero issues, lazy way FTW :-s

One of the thing is that, since a lot of people keeps slings into really little enclosures, sometimes the space for something similar to a water dish doesn't exist, that's why.

Now, obviously, if the sling in question is an Asian, or a NW tropical that would be another story :)

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I know what you mean, it's IMO normal after reading different things about the care for the same Theraphosidae.

Let's say that, since we are talking about hardy T's, both are valid. Yes, slings are more delicate than adults, that's why... but I can guarantee you that leaving only a water dish is just fine, for one of that genus T's.

I have a G.rosea sling, little than 2", housed in a plastic cricket box (the European style ones... I don't know if you have present those now) and, inside, there's a little water cup as a water dish. Zero issues, lazy way FTW :-s

One of the thing is that, since a lot of people keeps slings into really little enclosures, sometimes the space for something similar to a water dish doesn't exist, that's why.

Now, obviously, if the sling in question is an Asian, or a NW tropical that would be another story :)
Not sure if they are the same but I have a general idea of the cricket keeper. I have the small zoo med/exo terra one. I am going to add a water dish though, just to be on the safe side. I'm starting to see that the less I interfere or think about things with Ts, the better off they are. I've already accepted that they do not need the micromanaging some of my other animals need. I just have to get better at applying it. Thank you, once again, for the help!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not sure if they are the same but I have a general idea of the cricket keeper. I have the small zoo med/exo terra one. I am going to add a water dish though, just to be on the safe side. I'm starting to see that the less I interfere or think about things with Ts, the better off they are. I've already accepted that they do not need the micromanaging some of my other animals need. I just have to get better at applying it. Thank you, once again, for the help!
Nothing man :-s

Ask whatever you need.

Oh btw those are the 'crickets enclosure' I was referring to that I'd love to use for slings (just mines are more little):

http://www.monkfieldnutrition.co.uk/live-food

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Nothing man :-s

Ask whatever you need.

Oh btw those are the 'crickets enclosure' I was referring to that I'd love to use for slings (just mines are more little):

http://www.monkfieldnutrition.co.uk/live-food
Those are smaller than I thought. At least in height. Thank you though, seriously. It's good to know I have people willing to offer advice or even tell me I'm making mistakes.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Those are smaller than I thought. At least in height. Thank you though, seriously. It's good to know I have people willing to offer advice or even tell me I'm making mistakes.
You're welcome man :-s

Yep the ones I use are similar (the 'structure', I mean, more or less) but more 'short'. Height is less than a normal cigarettes packet. IMO are perfect for little slings such as 'grammo/brachy/genics' etc... I just add substrate, a little piece of cork bark, a water cup and voilà :-s

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
You're welcome man :-s

Yep the ones I use are similar (the 'structure', I mean, more or less) but less 'short'. Height is less than a normal cigarettes packet. IMO are perfect for little slings such as 'grammo/brachy/genics' etc... I just add substrate, a little piece of cork bark, a water cup and voilà :-s
That's what I need to do for my newest G. pulchripes slings. They are still in the vials from the LPS and the one I can get a good look at is close to the size of my 1st. I tend to worry that I'm not giving the slings enough "room to grow" I even went out and bought exo-terra small breeder boxes for the Chaco slings when they are big enough. I really think I need something in between though.
My 1st has a little piece of bamboo that I cut in half for a hide. It doesn't seem fond of it though as it just rearranged everything this evening lol covered up the front and 3/4 of the back.

Side note @Moakmeister I apologize for hijacking your thread. Also, I love the Derpy Gyarados profile picture!!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's what I need to do for my newest G. pulchripes slings. They are still in the vials from the LPS and the one I can get a good look at is close to the size of my 1st. I tend to worry that I'm not giving the slings enough "room to grow" I even went out and bought exo-terra small breeder boxes for the Chaco slings when they are big enough. I really think I need something in between though.
My 1st has a little piece of bamboo that I cut in half for a hide. It doesn't seem fond of it though as it just rearranged everything this evening lol covered up the front and 3/4 of the back.
There isn't near you the chance to have, maybe online by crickets sellers, enclosures like those? :)

Anyway no problem man... I watched your (great) pictures of your other animals, and, without having a clue about their care (I've owned only arachnids and centipedes on my life) from what I know from other keepers here in Italy (frogs, not frogs, snakes, geckos etc) I can guarantee that T's are by far more 'easy' to care for on that sense... bit of solace, ah ah.

I do understand your logic and valid concerns, of course :-s

Just for give you an idea talking about little space, this one is where I keep another sling I have, a B.smithi:

http://reptyfood.com/contenitori-in-plastica/292-spidersling-box.html

substrate alone, of course. And every week I just put a little drop of room temperature water. He/she's inside that since a good year, + or - and after the next molt, I would move that bugger into a cricket home like those ones.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
There isn't near you the chance to have, maybe online by crickets sellers, enclosures like those? :)

Anyway no problem man... I watched your (great) pictures of your other animals, and, without having a clue about their care (I've owned only arachnids and centipedes on my life) from what I know from other keepers here in Italy (frogs, not frogs, snakes, geckos etc) I can guarantee that T's are by far more 'easy' to care for on that sense... bit of solace, ah ah.

I do understand your logic and valid concerns, of course :-s

Just for give you an idea talking about little space, this one is where I keep another sling I have, a B.smithi:

http://reptyfood.com/contenitori-in-plastica/292-spidersling-box.html

substrate alone, of course. And every week I just put a little drop of room temperature water. He/she's inside that since a good year, + or - and after the next molt, I would move that bugger into a cricket home like those ones.
Actually, as much as I hate them, Petco (big chain store here) sells crickets in similar plastics. I could buy a few for the Chaco slings at least. Then have better housing.
Thanks for the smiles and compliments on my other animals also! By far the Boa is the most "difficult" to keep. She probably has a lot to do with my arachnid worries lol
Did I see that right? The link showed a 3cm width??? That seems so tiny to me lol Just glad someone understands my paranoia honestly. Settles my nerves...A little :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Actually, as much as I hate them, Petco (big chain store here) sells crickets in similar plastics. I could buy a few for the Chaco slings at least. Then have better housing.
Yup, that's a good move :-s

Thanks for the smiles and compliments on my other animals also! By far the Boa is the most "difficult" to keep. She probably has a lot to do with my arachnid worries lol
Nothing man, they are great. Not my genre, but great. I like boa, pythons etc a lot but I would never buy one (also because with four cats when I'm not home that enters in my room isn't the best for me ah ah) but a viper, yes! One of those IMO impressive vipers we have here in Northern Italy woods... too bad that here they banned the keeping of venomous snakes (every venomous snake) when I was a children, lol (I'm 38 now) :-/

Did I see that right? The link showed a 3cm width??? That seems so tiny to me lol Just glad someone understands my paranoia honestly. Settles my nerves...A little :D
Yes, they are very little :-s

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Wow. And here I was having forgotten I ever posted this XD
How big was she when this was posted? Just curious because I have a couple that might be this size and wanted to be better at caring for them, I am especially interested in the water dish.
She was 2 inches in DLS when this photo was taken. Previously I had her in this:

which was too big. She burrowed right down and stayed there, to the point where I thought she was molting -_- so I dig her up and transferred her into the smaller one. She is much happier. She has since molted to a 2.5 inch DLS, and has gained her adult colors:

And as you can see here, we replaced the giant Gatorade cap with a regular bottle cap. Mind you, she fills it up with substrate/buries it C O N S T A N T L Y and then I have to disturb her to fix it. Also, the subtrate I'm using releases humidity when it gets wet, so sometimes the enclosure gets foggy.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Yup, that's a good move :-s

Nothing man, they are great. Not my genre, but great. I like boa, pythons etc a lot but I would never buy one (also because with four cats when I'm not home that enters in my room isn't the best for me ah ah) but a viper, yes! One of those IMO impressive vipers we have here in Northern Italy woods... too bad that here they banned the keeping of venomous snakes (every venomous snake) when I was a children, lol (I'm 38 now) :-/

Yes, they are very little :-s
I can go grab the "crickets" tomorrow actually. Benefit of having 7 slings/juvenile Ts and geckos, crickets are always welcome. We have one cat but he is restricted from the room we keep everyone else in lol
I adore venomous snakes, vipers are my favorites. Especially W. African Gaboons... Though that is better suited to a different thread lol

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Wow. And here I was having forgotten I ever posted this XD

She was 2 inches in DLS when this photo was taken. Previously I had her in this:

which was too big. She burrowed right down and stayed there, to the point where I thought she was molting -_- so I dig her up and transferred her into the smaller one. She is much happier. She has since molted to a 2.5 inch DLS, and has gained her adult colors:

And as you can see here, we replaced the giant Gatorade cap with a regular bottle cap. Mind you, she fills it up with substrate/buries it C O N S T A N T L Y and then I have to disturb her to fix it. Also, the subtrate I'm using releases humidity when it gets wet, so sometimes the enclosure gets foggy.
Yeah, she is roughly the same size as mine, one of which still hasn't burrowed surprisingly. Just likes to push piles of the coconut fibre all around lol The other has a nice burrow system in place.
I have tons of water bottles so I will start collecting the caps to use as water dishes I think. Thank you for the information!!

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
This is my 1.25" G. Pulchripes. I call him Griffin... :rolleyes:
IMG_0399.JPG

I hope someone out there gets this.:meh:

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
@Jacko65 - YES! Look at that plump little booty! Fun fact: you can just barely see this little one's heart! :kiss: See that lighter-colored spot on it's abdomen? That darker bit at the top is the heart! When they are close to molting, that whole patch will get much darker. :D

Last edited:

Jacko65

Arachnopeon
@Caseyface, thanks for the info, I just hope I can keep it in good health and enjoy watching it go through the various stages of growth. They are like my babies already. Didn't think I would ever be so concerned over something so small, they sure make me smile.:happy:

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
@Jacko65 - I feel the same way. I recently lost my first sling, and I am still really bummed about it. It was a rough day. I had only just purchased the delicate little sling, and still have no idea what caused it's demise. I love all of my little spiders more than most could understand or comprehend.

Jacko65

Arachnopeon
@Jacko65 - I feel the same way. I recently lost my first sling, and I am still really bummed about it. It was a rough day. I had only just purchased the delicate little sling, and still have no idea what caused it's demise. I love all of my little spiders more than most could understand or comprehend.
@Caseyface that's a shame:sorry: Sometimes things happen that are out of our control, the way you talk about your spiders I'm pretty sure you didn't do anything wrong. I love all animals and understand how attached we can become to them when they are in our care......even if they don't love us back lol.:bigtears:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
There's no current Species thread for Grammastola pulchripes so I'm going to post up my ~3" female here. Add your own G. pulchripes photos to the thread. :cool: