Species Grammostola pulchra

binky

Arachnopeon
So cute!

One day, when I have a bigger place, G. pulchra is going on my want list :)

RoninSTi

Arachnopeon
Hey Everyone!!

I'm Craig, this is my first T and also my first post on the boards. I just went to my first reptile show with the intention of getting a second leo, a pacman frog, and POSSIBLY a tarantula.

Didn't get the leo! All of the morphs I liked, someone else got to them first. Scooped up a pacman for my wife, and also left with A Grammostola Pulchra sling. I'm so excited, I love it.

Anyways I did a bunch of research on here so I was an informed consumer, and I'm sure I'll make tons of NOOB posts so watch out.;P

Let me know what you think and I'll gladly take any advice on care. She's in a deli cup right now, with a mix of moss and vermiculite. I was told to keep the temps high 70's low 80's and make sure to mist substrate as needed. I have 1/2" gutloaded crickets for her, do they need a supplement dusting? I also have a mealworm colony, a superworm colony, and a dubia colony so I hope she's hungry!

Anyways here we go...

<3exoticpets

Arachnopeon
Congrats on your 1st T- Great choice! If you got it at the 8 legs table, I got a G. pulchra from him too (but on LI in Oct 09). Mine is absolutely hilarious and a lot of fun to watch grow. I thought a sling would freak me out, but I'm having a blast! p.s., just recently rehoused mine to a small kritter keeper and it's doing great, but I had it in the container I bought it in until then.

MarSea222

Arachnopeon
AWWW congrats on your new little one!!! Nice choice on your T there, I have a couple and they are fun. Welcome, and nice pictures.

RoninSTi

Arachnopeon
Congrats on your 1st T- Great choice! If you got it at the 8 legs table, I got a G. pulchra from him too (but on LI in Oct 09). Mine is absolutely hilarious and a lot of fun to watch grow. I thought a sling would freak me out, but I'm having a blast! p.s., just recently rehoused mine to a small kritter keeper and it's doing great, but I had it in the container I bought it in until then.
Yup I got it from 8 legs, they were great to deal with. I was torn between this and an avic avic and 8 legs persuaded me to go this way. I'm happy I did.

CuddlesTheTarantula

Arachnopeon
Hey I'm getting a G. pulchra sling for my birthday on Feb. 21, I already reserved it at a specialty pet shop in Lansing, MI. I'm really excited to be able to get this species! They told me mine will be around 1.5", is that about what yours is?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on the first T! You picked a great species to start with :)

Definitely don't dust the crickets in anything (especially not a calcium dusting).
I would recommend just wetting one side of the substrate and maybe misting a corner... G. pulchra likes it dryer, but you don't want your sling to be dehydrated.

RoninSTi

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the first T! You picked a great species to start with :)

Definitely don't dust the crickets in anything (especially not a calcium dusting).
I would recommend just wetting one side of the substrate and maybe misting a corner... G. pulchra likes it dryer, but you don't want your sling to be dehydrated.
I'm so glad you just said this!! Her substrate was feeling dry, so I misted one part of it. I figured if it likes it drier, theres still dry but if it's thirsty, she'll be able to have a drink as well. Glad to know my instincts were right!

When I woke up this morning she was running around her cup, so I gave her a mealworm...the attack was intense!!! And just now I thought I would see if she would eat again, so this time a 1/2" cricket was plopped in there and it didn't survive more than 3 seconds. Who knew something so little could be so ruthless. Loving this T.

Also to the poster above who is getting G. Pulchra for your birthday. Mine is about 3/4" so yours is definitely a bit bigger. Make sure you post pics! I want to see what mine will be like down the line.

:clap::}:D

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
An excellent choice! In a few molts, he/she will be exhibiting the velvety black coloration. I have a small G. pulchra too and keep half of my enclosure on the dry side and half on the moist side. Good luck with him/her. :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome that your instincts are so in-tune to Ts already!

They are voracious little eaters... my 1/2" (well, bigger now because she molted tonight! :D) sling takes down small crickets like they are nothing!

RoninSTi

Arachnopeon
Awesome that your instincts are so in-tune to Ts already!

They are voracious little eaters... my 1/2" (well, bigger now because she molted tonight! :D) sling takes down small crickets like they are nothing!
How often should I feed? The breeder said 3-4 times a week is fine, so I wasn't going to feed today. Should I try and see if she takes anything?

Also she's a little bulldozer, when I checked this morning her whole habitat was rearranged and she made a nice cave for herself. Crazy!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I usually go by the size of the abdomen... but my little guy's abdomen was huge because he was in premolt.

I fed him 1-2 times a week, usually. When I couldn't get small crix and had to use fruit flies, I fed almost every day.

Yours is a bit bigger than mine... so one prey item 3 times a week might work, just watch the abdomen size :)

RoninSTi

Arachnopeon
I usually go by the size of the abdomen... but my little guy's abdomen was huge because he was in premolt.

I fed him 1-2 times a week, usually. When I couldn't get small crix and had to use fruit flies, I fed almost every day.

Yours is a bit bigger than mine... so one prey item 3 times a week might work, just watch the abdomen size :)
Ok I'll have to start paying attention to the abdomen size. Thanks!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You're welcome! :) Just make sure to post pics often :p

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
awesome choice! wait for a couple of molts and she's gonna be in stunning velvet black!

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Awww, what a little cutie! I just posted a couple pictures of my 2" pulchra in my pic thread.. still my favorite.