Giant Centipede Handling

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
uh guys... they are called dry bites. you can rest pretty well assured you are not magically fully immune to centipede venom.

i wouldn't even be that surprised to find out centipedes have multiple types of fluids they can inject, like scorps

even i am not immune. i am resistant to certain minor aspects of the venom... but the big boneache components work pretty well on me.

i would be more strict with my reply, but when you find out you aren't in fact immune it will just hurt really bad for a day or three and you won't die =P

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
uh guys... they are called dry bites. you can rest pretty well assured you are not magically fully immune to centipede venom.

i wouldn't even be that surprised to find out centipedes have multiple types of fluids they can inject, like scorps

even i am not immune. i am resistant to certain minor aspects of the venom... but the big boneache components work pretty well on me.

i would be more strict with my reply, but when you find out you aren't in fact immune it will just hurt really bad for a day or three and you won't die =P
I have had myself get bitten, voluntarily, by this species countless times (type "induced bite mutilans" in the search function)...rest assured I can tell the difference between a dry bite and a "wet" bite :rolleyes:

Thanks for the lesson though, I wonder why I would get swollen lymph nodes from a dry bite ;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, that was kind of funny. Yeah the pede looked like it considered your arm something to eat.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had myself get bitten, voluntarily, by this species countless times (type "induced bite mutilans" in the search function)...rest assured I can tell the difference between a dry bite and a "wet" bite :rolleyes:

Thanks for the lesson though, I wonder why I would get swollen lymph nodes from a dry bite ;)

so you really are willing to believe you are magically immune before some other explanation? occam is rolling over in his mother loving grave right now

and was is this fantastic way to tell if a bite is wet or not? when a drip of clear fluid comes out of the wound after the animal removes its injector? oooh, that couldn't *possibly* be interstitial or serous fluid, could it?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
so you really are willing to believe you are magically immune before some other explanation? occam is rolling over in his mother loving grave right now

and was is this fantastic way to tell if a bite is wet or not? when a drip of clear fluid comes out of the wound after the animal removes its injector? oooh, that couldn't *possibly* be interstitial or serous fluid, could it?
Magically? You amaze me. I have been bitten by this species so many times that it is certainly within the realm of possibility that I may have become desensitized, to some extent, to the venom.

If it was a dry bite, if there was no venom injected, why did I experience the classic boneache, numbness and most of all, slightly swollen and painful lymph nodes? Also, when did I say I was "immune" to the venom? You are the only one here who has actually used that word, you realise?

You really need to read a little:

Draiman said:
Either I am really insensitive to S. subspinipes mutilans venom, or it's simply weak. A bite from my other pede (unidentified, but likely a color variant of S. subspinipes subspinipes) would be a lot more "fun"...
Other people's bite reports with this species also corroborate my experiences.

You see yourself as some sort of a centipede god on here, don't you? Just because someone tries to do something similar to what you do with wimpy polymorphas and Ethmostigmus, you come out and scream, "HEY, ALL YOU'VE BEEN RECEIVING WERE DRY BITES!!!"

Last edited:

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am gutted - the mystery centipede has died. He/she ate just this morning, yet I found it dead in its enclosure a couple of hours ago. This sudden death thing with centipedes gets VERY frustrating and really saps a keeper's confidence and morale. I know I did nothing wrong with husbandry. Good ventilation, plenty of substrate to burrow in, healthy feeders, proper humidity levels, and a permanent source of water at all times. I'm not sure I want to keep centipedes anymore.

After keeping the lame and boring S. s. mutilans for so long and with relative success, the moment I get an uncommon centipede, it dies on me after a week. I'm really lost for words at the moment.
man thats a b****...

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

who said anything about immune?
gavins been bitten countless times,are you saying that since his reactions were almost always the same,it was always a dry bite?
his observations were from several bites,not just one like most of the people who were bitten on this board.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Magically? You amaze me. I have been bitten by this species so many times that it is certainly within the realm of possibility that I may have become desensitized, to some extent, to the venom.

If it was a dry bite, if there was no venom injected, why did I experience the classic boneache, numbness and most of all, slightly swollen and painful lymph nodes? Also, when did I say I was "immune" to the venom? You are the only one here who has actually used that word, you realise?

You really need to read a little:

Other people's bite reports with this species also corroborate my experiences.

You see yourself as some sort of a centipede god on here, don't you? Just because someone tries to do something similar to what you do with wimpy polymorphas and Ethmostigmus, you come out and scream, "HEY, ALL YOU'VE BEEN RECEIVING WERE DRY BITES!!!"
actually there have been more than a few mutilan bite reports that support the fact they have venom to respect. it is stupidity like you post that really contributes to the misinformation in the hobby

http://atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=24798

you *really* want to say mike troll is a newb that doesn't know what he is talking about?

and i'm seriously confused now... either they cause boneache (which is a word i coined, btw ;)) and all those reactions that you said... or they don't have a good bite. you kinda need to pick one :)

to be honest, this really puts your general scientific understandings in question. essentially what you are saying is that because you have not received a serious bite, then mutilans can't give a serious bite? and that all the reports that say they CAN give a serious bite are wrong? you want to talk about arrogance...

that's awesome. i think i'll just leave that the way it is :)

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mentioned 2 Ya Draiman

Some will just get mad, 2 Do So :rolleyes:

Cacoseraph: I have showed you Respect for your experiences w/ invertabrates, And yet, you ARGUED unnescessarily so, Just the other day with me.......I think - No, I know now....That you have an EGO driven Opinion.

I hear Not what you Say Now {Ignore List} :rolleyes: Thank God - Jason

And yes Draiman :D you have Titanium Balls. Good Luck and Wishes :)

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
to be honest, this really puts your general scientific understandings in question. essentially what you are saying is that because you have not received a serious bite, then mutilans can't give a serious bite? and that all the reports that say they CAN give a serious bite are wrong? you want to talk about arrogance...
Umm...When did I say so? :?

I had never seen the bite report in that link you provided, so how can you say I made the statement that this species does not have a serious bite in the face of other people's bite reports; when this is plainly because I have NOT seen those said bite reports? Indeed, you keep talking about "all the bite reports that say they can give a serious bite" - where are those reports? Do they outnumber the ones that suggest otherwise? I can only go by what I read here:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1604094

Also, you're telling me that just because of Mike Dame's SINGLE bite report, you conclude that mutilans have a serious bite? Are you for real? Does it make any sense to use ONE PERSON'S experience to try and debunk another ONE PERSON'S bite experience? Hello? Pretty intelligent, aren't you?

If you can show me evidence from MULTIPLE bite victims showing that mutilans bites are similar in severity to that of other subspinipes subspecies, then I will stand up and say I was wrong.

EDIT:

Either I am really insensitive to S. subspinipes mutilans venom, or it's simply weak.
Look at the key words "insensitive" and "or". Where and when in this thread did I make the statement, "S. subspinipes mutilans venom is weak"?

I have taken literally DOZENS of bites from this species, and no single one of them was "serious" in any way. All were from adult specimens between 12 and 15 centimeters in length. Are you telling me that ALL OF THESE WERE DRY BITES, especially when there was clear evidence that my immune system was - comfortably - dealing with something in me (slightly swollen lymph nodes as well as other symptoms caused by venom injection, and not by mechanical piercing of the skin)? Good lord, seriously?

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Umm...When did I say so? :?

I had never seen the bite report in that link you provided, so how can you say I made the statement that this species does not have a serious bite in the face of other people's bite reports; when this is plainly because I have NOT seen those said bite reports? Indeed, you keep talking about "all the bite reports that say they can give a serious bite" - where are those reports? Do they outnumber the ones that suggest otherwise? I can only go by what I read here:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1604094

Also, you're telling me that just because of Mike Dame's SINGLE bite report, you conclude that mutilans have a serious bite? Are you for real? Does it make any sense to use ONE PERSON'S experience to try and debunk another ONE PERSON'S bite experience? Hello? Pretty intelligent, aren't you?

If you can show me evidence from MULTIPLE bite victims showing that mutilans bites are similar in severity to that of other subspinipes subspecies, then I will stand up and say I was wrong.

EDIT:

Look at the key words "insensitive" and "or". Where and when in this thread did I make the statement, "S. subspinipes mutilans venom is weak"?

I have taken literally DOZENS of bites from this species, and no single one of them was "serious" in any way. All were from adult specimens between 12 and 15 centimeters in length. Are you telling me that ALL OF THESE WERE DRY BITES, especially when there was clear evidence that my immune system was - comfortably - dealing with something in me (slightly swollen lymph nodes as well as other symptoms caused by venom injection, and not by mechanical piercing of the skin)? Good lord, seriously?

I've proved numerous times that mutilans are no kick at all ;) :p

P.S. - If/when you do go back to HK again please look out for a big dehaani for me!
boldmine

I am gutted - the mystery centipede has died. He/she ate just this morning, yet I found it dead in its enclosure a couple of hours ago. This sudden death thing with centipedes gets VERY frustrating and really saps a keeper's confidence and morale. I know I did nothing wrong with husbandry. Good ventilation, plenty of substrate to burrow in, healthy feeders, proper humidity levels, and a permanent source of water at all times. I'm not sure I want to keep centipedes anymore.

After keeping the lame and boring S. s. mutilans for so long and with relative success, the moment I get an uncommon centipede, it dies on me after a week. I'm really lost for words at the moment.
boldmine
granted, that is my interpretation, but given the context of the surrounding posts, i don't think it is a far stretch

i guess i sort of need to explain why i am being kind of particular here. *i* started this thread, years ago, to try to gather as much good information on centipede handling as possible. part of this process has been for me to read a lot of reports, pdfs from various medical and scientific institutions, and talk to people in "real" life. in doing all that reading i am virtually certain i have come across 4-5 moderately to fairly serious mutilans bite reports. i provided one clear example and when i have more time i will go through my files and do some googling and i expect i will find at least two more. when you come into a thread i started to spread good solid information and declare "I've proved numerous times that mutilans are no kick at all" then yes, i am going to feel some kind of obligation to interject.

did i do it in the most candy coated, mother-gently-scolding, talking-to-someone-who-wears-a-helmet-all-the-time tone? of course not. i felt that the degree of likelihood that you are flat out wrong combined with the utterly blithe nature of the delivery i really didn't feel the need to sprinkle any sugar on top

Some will just get mad, 2 Do So :rolleyes:

Cacoseraph: I have showed you Respect for your experiences w/ invertabrates, And yet, you ARGUED unnescessarily so, Just the other day with me.......I think - No, I know now....That you have an EGO driven Opinion.

I hear Not what you Say Now {Ignore List} :rolleyes: Thank God - Jason

And yes Draiman :D you have Titanium Balls. Good Luck and Wishes :)
rest assured, when i want etiquette lessons i will do my own research and proceed from there, as i do with all things i consider important. consider the fact in the years of reading and discussing bugs with dozens of really smart ppl i might have picked up a thing or two that *are* in fact somewhat important that you might not necessarily immediately see the significance of

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
boldmine
granted, that is my interpretation, but given the context of the surrounding posts, i don't think it is a far stretch
After keeping the lame and boring S. s. mutilans for so long and with relative success
You really are horrible at interpretation, aren't you? I think anyone else who reads that sentence can clearly see that it was said in reference to KEEPING the pedes and their husbandry, and had nothing to do with their bite or venom. Good lord...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
a buddy of mine ended up going to the hospital with a crazy reaction to a Haitian giant centipede bite. they might actually be worse than S. subspinipes x as for as the potential for mayhem in a human. i wasn't there to see what happened but i had the story recounted to me a few times by different people who were. it sounded very much like a very bad allergic reaction, down to getting hives and benadryl seriously denting the symptoms. i'd say this is definitely a pede to treat cautiously!

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wish there were a way to tell if you're allergic to centipede venom or not, though I doubt there are any tests to see.

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a buddy of mine ended up going to the hospital with a crazy reaction to a Haitian giant centipede bite. they might actually be worse than S. subspinipes x as for as the potential for mayhem in a human. i wasn't there to see what happened but i had the story recounted to me a few times by different people who were. it sounded very much like a very bad allergic reaction, down to getting hives and benadryl seriously denting the symptoms. i'd say this is definitely a pede to treat cautiously!
how's your friend now? updates on his condition?

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
sorry for such an event.
EK, Your reply has been sent back in time to the op. Hovvever, technology vvasn't comparably as advanced at that time so expect an extra long vvait period for a reply..........

Just kidding, but hope the bite victim's life has returned to normal!

T