Giant Centipede Handling

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
7" S. subspinipes subspinipes:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1xfBdrvnDnc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1xfBdrvnDnc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i handled my mutilans for the first time (purposely) yesterday.
didnt get bit....:D
then again,it was eating a cricket.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Is that S. viridicornis? Beautiful creature. Careful with that venom, if so- it's being tested as a breast cancer growth inhibitor- no wasting! ;)

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
With current standings its galapagoensis but it was considered as a variation of gigantea. And still is by some people.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A handling video gone wrong...

I was actually planning to make a(nother) handling video, first of this adult 6" Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans, and then of my (probably more venomous!) unidentified 6" Scolopendra sp., but I guess I'll have to put that off for now... Maybe tonight.

20 minutes after the bite, and I'm getting some mild "bone ache" in the wrist, pain in my lymph nodes in my right armpit, plus plenty of swelling and bleeding at the bite site. There was also a bit of numbness and that familiar tingling feeling around 5-10 minutes post-bite, but it seems to be gone now. Nothing out of the ordinary though, pretty much the same effects as I got with the dozen-odd bites I have had from this species. The pain in the lymph nodes is a first though, but I think that's because I was bitten right on top of a large vein in my arm. I had entertained the unsavory prospect of developing a sensitivity to this species' venom before, considering the number of times I have allowed myself to be bitten, but now it's pretty clear I haven't. Nonetheless this guy really dug deep (I watched as he embedded his entire left fang into my skin and flesh)! Watch how I waited for him to let go, but he didn't so I had to look for my pair of tweezers but couldn't find it lol.

Either I am really insensitive to S. subspinipes mutilans venom, or it's simply weak. A bite from my other pede (unidentified, but likely a color variant of S. subspinipes subspinipes) would be a lot more "fun"...

EDIT: OR I may be resistant to venom in general?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdDvm9f2kgQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdDvm9f2kgQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i involuntarily handled my 6" mutilians just two days ago.
while it was feeding i stroked its body,and it immediately latched onto me with the back end of its body.
then,it began clibing backwards onto my wrist.
no matter what i did to get it off without it becoming defensive,it never came off and continued eating while clambering around on my hand.
once in a while a fang slightly penetrated me,but i feel nothing a part from the mechanical pain (not really painful though).
luckily it eventually decided to go back down into its enclosure before it finished its cricket.
quite a fun experience,especially when i didnt think it wouldve happened.
my friend was freaking out right next to me.
didnt manage to get pics this time round,unfortunately,as the handling was involuntary.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A handling video gone wrong...

I was actually planning to make a(nother) handling video, first of this adult 6" Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans, and then of my (probably more venomous!) unidentified 6" Scolopendra sp., but I guess I'll have to put that off for now... Maybe tonight.

20 minutes after the bite, and I'm getting some mild "bone ache" in the wrist, pain in my lymph nodes in my right armpit, plus plenty of swelling and bleeding at the bite site. Nothing out of the ordinary though, pretty much the same effects as I got with the dozen-odd bites I have had from this species. The pain in the lymph nodes is a first though, but I think that's because I was bitten right on top of a large vein in my arm. I had entertained the unsavory prospect of developing a sensitivity to this species' venom before, considering the number of times I have allowed myself to be bitten, but now it's pretty clear I haven't. Nonetheless this guy really dug deep (I watched as he embedded his entire left fang into my skin and flesh)! Watch how I waited for him to let go, but he didn't so I had to look for my pair of tweezers but couldn't find it lol.

Either I am really insensitive to S. subspinipes mutilans venom, or it's simply weak. A bite from my other pede (unidentified, but likely a color variant of S. subspinipes subspinipes) would be a lot more "fun"...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdDvm9f2kgQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdDvm9f2kgQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
ouch,man these mutilans are always hungry!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ouch,man these mutilans are always hungry!
Speaking of being hungry, I actually haven't fed this one in a while lol. Maybe that was a contributory factor. My other centipede is looking like a sausage with legs; perhaps this hypothesis warrants some testing? {D

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Speaking of being hungry, I actually haven't fed this one in a while lol. Maybe that was a contributory factor. My other centipede is looking like a sausage with legs; perhaps this hypothesis warrants some testing? {D
hmmm,mines a sausage on legs as well right now.{D
maybe i'll try handling tomorrow,right after a small cricket!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hmmm,mines a sausage on legs as well right now.{D
maybe i'll try handling tomorrow,right after a small cricket!
I've proved numerous times that mutilans are no kick at all ;) :p

P.S. - If/when you do go back to HK again please look out for a big dehaani for me!

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've proved numerous times that mutilans are no kick at all ;) :p

P.S. - If/when you do go back to HK again please look out for a big dehaani for me!
i actually agree,when i got bit i didnt suffer at all.
maybe my OBT will be a different story...hmmm...

yeah,i wouldve brought one back for s both,but oddly enough none of the shops had any.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i actually agree,when i got bit i didnt suffer at all.
maybe my OBT will be a different story...hmmm...

yeah,i wouldve brought one back for s both,but oddly enough none of the shops had any.
I am gutted - the mystery centipede has died. He/she ate just this morning, yet I found it dead in its enclosure a couple of hours ago. This sudden death thing with centipedes gets VERY frustrating and really saps a keeper's confidence and morale. I know I did nothing wrong with husbandry. Good ventilation, plenty of substrate to burrow in, healthy feeders, proper humidity levels, and a permanent source of water at all times. I'm not sure I want to keep centipedes anymore.

After keeping the lame and boring S. s. mutilans for so long and with relative success, the moment I get an uncommon centipede, it dies on me after a week. I'm really lost for words at the moment.