Giant Centipede Handling

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
i don't actually *know* know what those dark spots are. i have a bad tendency to call them fungul spots (mycotic) i was just joking by callig them nigromycotic, cuz that just means "black-fungus caused"

all my bugs that i've bought with black spots have never molted in my care (an ultimate male Hadrurus arizonensis and this guy) but i've read they can molt out of them.

for now i'm keeping it drier and well fed :)

my biggest viet, which was 22.5cm long, molted out of a lot of dark spots just two days ago
she actually lost some parts of her legs that was rotten and sort of splited a bit, and regenerated a lill bit of the segements she lost
i was afraid she'll get those black spot back again by eating her own molt, so i quickly removed it from her, douno what whether it's a bad thing or not without eating the old skin
she also had a lot black spot underneath her body, but can't see any now

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
my biggest viet, which was 22.5cm long, molted out of a lot of dark spots just two days ago
she actually lost some parts of her legs that was rotten and sort of splited a bit, and regenerated a lill bit of the segements she lost
i was afraid she'll get those black spot back again by eating her own molt, so i quickly removed it from her, douno what whether it's a bad thing or not without eating the old skin
she also had a lot black spot underneath her body, but can't see any now
awesome!

i have a sort of idea for a project involving centi skins!

i watched my centi molt last night as took pics, but i also cut off the last three or four segments (the last two of which are the "sexual segments" i have read)

i want to see if there is some way to sex like how you can see spermethecae and the pocket on taras. i started consulting my copy of Biology of Centipedes by Lewis, and there are some interesting leads... unfortunately it looks like there is huge varietions, especially across Family lines

Lateralus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Caco,

Sorry to hear that you got tagged. Glad it wasn't that serious a bite.

After reading this thread, I though I would attempt a Giant Centipede handling of my own too here's the result! ;)

Well, it is theoretically still a giant centipede after all, eh eh eh? ;P :eek:

Cheers,
Damien.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Incubu5 said:
Hey Caco,

Sorry to hear that you got tagged. Glad it wasn't that serious a bite.

After reading this thread, I though I would attempt a Giant Centipede handling of my own too here's the result! ;)

Well, it is theoretically still a giant centipede after all, eh eh eh? ;P :eek:

Cheers,
Damien.

It really didn't hurt to get bit, so i am not worried :)

very cool man... they tickle, don't they {D

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
some more work from my buddy.

he tells me this centipede isn't *quite* as huge as it looks... but it's a crazy picture at any rate

King of Heros:

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Isnt huge... That things has to be atleast 10". I might have to get a pede at the up coming show this next weekend.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
prang11 said:
Isnt huge... That things has to be atleast 10". I might have to get a pede at the up coming show this next weekend.

I'd say more like 6" -7", it makes them look a lot bigger when they are on your hand! This pede was only about 23cm.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jürgen said:
Hey!

this pede is dead.

not very actionly :)

regards J.

Yup, it most definfitely is! Sorry, i forgot to make that clear, that pic has been posted a few times in the past and i forget there are new members on the forum. I'm not stupid/brave enough to hold that pede, when it was alive it would have bitten me for even looking at it! ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
danread said:
I'd say more like 6" -7", it makes them look a lot bigger when they are on your hand! This pede was only about 23cm.
i hope you preserved that monster in something cool... sucks to have them die, but at least you can still look at them :) right now i've just been putting everything in alcohol storage... but i want to cast them in resin blocks like i've seen some ppl do :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
SUBSPINIPES (links to posts with pics, not me)

check this out!
someone else holding a subspinipes!

post#1
post#2

so of course, now i have to get a similar sized subspinipes (NOT going to hold my 7" biggun, not yet...)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
species i've handled

greetings, i threw together a little mini-chart on the species i have handled, to date

there are probably a couple more i have forgotten, and i will surely be adding to this list until the day i die (heh, however i go, it *should* prove to be interesting ;P )

Code:
Genus		species			#indiv	#times #hardbites

Neon Blue Leg				1	2	0
Alipes		sp.			3	5	0	(red feathertail)
Scolopendra	cingulata		4	10	0	(egyptian emerald)
Scolopendra	heros castaniceps	1	1	0
Ethmostigmus	trigonopodus		3	10	0	(Tanzanian bluering leg)
Scolopendra 	polymorpha		~30	~150	1
Eastern Bark(?)				1	5	0

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
links!

from tarantulaspiders.com
off centipedgallery
Scolopendra valida

person has the centipede in a restraining hold. interesting. i picked up my very first centipede ever (S.polymorpha) similar to this way

suprised i didn't get bit, as i missed and grabbed it right about in the middle :)

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me handling a recently aquired S. subspinipes (hatian) no he wasn't cold.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
again, Haitians are not Sc.subspinipes but Sc. alternans
just check the terminal legs

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Again? I wasn't notified through e-mail of the mighty taxonomic changes. Thanks for making me privey to that information.

Billy Norton

Arachnopeon
Handling scolopendra.

I have only been bitten once,it was a large subspinipes. The bite was entirely my fault. i tried to pull it from where it was trying to retreat. I wouldn't say that the pede was aggressive merely defensive. I have handled several since that time with no problems. How ever as I am sure you know they can be very unpredictable and fast. My bite is in the centipede bite section.
I understand your desire to handle you pet scolopendra as I sometimes have the urge to do also. As I said subspinipes is the only species that I have had the experience of being bitten by. But I must tell you if you handle one and goof up prepare for major pain.
Have fun.
Billy

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Billy,

Your bite report was the first subspinipes bite report that i've ever read when i was first getting into keeping pedes, and it gave me some good warning about how painful a pede bite could be. I think it was a good introduction to the hobby, and started me off with a very healthy respect for all of my larger pedes. So recieving the bite wasn't completely in vain :D

Cheers,