getting a new tarantula... suggestions?!

babyjay

Arachnopeon
lol i don't care for this irrelevant treatment....

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1. I don't think those that are terrified of them should be handling them. Sounds like a potential danger/stressor for the spider.
2. Who will be taking care of it?
3. Can you give more details on the size of the tank? You need to get a 2.5, 5, or 10 gallon aquarium.
4. Two different spiders: Cobalt blue (H. lividum) and Green Bottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens.

However, my recommendation would be the Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes)

babyjay

Arachnopeon

Last edited:

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. lividum are you kidding me

Don't get a cobalt blue to pass around for people (especially kids) to handle. :wall::wall:
I handle mine but I am very very very experienced and these spiders in general can be very defensive. If they decide to bite they will bite multiple times. If your looking for a law suit go ahead and get it. :embarrassed::embarrassed:
My real suggestions would be E. campestratus(Pink Zebra Beauty) or G. pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee). But seriously I don't intend to sound mean but your suggestion was flat out dumb just due to the fact that you obviously don't know what a H. lividum (cobalt blue) are capable of.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
wouldnt reccomend a h.lividum for handling at all...If a tarantula gets dropped from any height above 3 inches its potentially fatal for the tarantula.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
try to find a G.rosea...something that had a better reputation... I agree with G. aureostriata that would be a good starter

no worm compost for substrate either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
depending on the dimentions of the tank, it may not be a good idea to house a terrestrial T in, unless you want a lot of substrate. if it is a tall half-hex fishtank like the one i am thinking of, it'd be better suited for housing an Avicularia... however avics tend to need more maintence than some of the easier terrestrial Ts.

tank issues aside, your best bets are a G. pulchripes, G. pulchra, maybe G. rosea (can be moody individuals), and E. campestratus. the pulchripes i think will be the best in terms of docility and price, imo.

another good point about scientific names being better than common! :embarrassed: they probably meant green bottle blue (C. cyaneopubescens) because MFs have a decent tag on them. i can only imagine the horror of taking out an H. lividum (cobalt blue) in a classroom of nervous and excited children... :eek:

Last edited:

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. rosea hands down - or should I say, hands on?

The past couple of bug shows I've visited had G roseas as "demonstrators" - and visitors were allowed to let the rosies sit on their hands and "ladder-step" - very sweet dispositions, no question of unpredictability or hairing - (photo proof on file - I'll post them for you as soon as I get home).

And you and I both know, having been kids ourselves, that the minute one kid is brave enough, all of them are going to want to "hold the tarantula" - you might even have a photographer on hand to record the event.

Presumably you'll have a pro supervising the proceedings.

Sounds like fun! Wish I could be there!

p.s. From what I've seen and heard, G roseas are the easiest to find and the least expensive. By the way, I'll be getting a G rosea sling Thanksgiving Day. Then I won't have to go to bug festivals to play with one!

Last edited:

razor244

Arachnopeon
common name of the tarantula's id recommend is chilean rose hair. they are affordable and very harty not to mention pretty docile .on occasion some people experience having a " psycho rosie " wich can be mean and defensive. each T is an individual so i reccomend handling or haveing the store clerk demonstrate the T's personality before you purchase.

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I have a cobalt blue, and let me tell you, it scares the crap out of me. It's the only one of my spiders that I don't handle.

G. Rosea is going to be the most cost effective "bang for the buck" - but if you can afford more, get the G. Pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee). G. Pulchra is going to be waaaaaaaay too expensive (I desperately want one, but it's out of my budget right now).

Sadly, if children and frightened people are going to be handling it, the chances of its premature death must be considered. A $20 G. Rosea vs. a $300 G. Pulchra... Well, I think we can all do the math.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
This is NOT a flame. However, I'm guessing by the end of this thread, there'll be a myriad of participants here asking, what a Novice Tarantula keeper, is doing, letting "scared of spiders" people, continually handling/mishandling ANYTHING??? I have to be honest, when I first read this, I thought it was a troll...

I'd say if you want to make folk squeemish, and help "educate" them at the same time, try hissing cockroaches, or even Ball Pythons, but I think you're asking for trouble with Tarantulas, unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

Run3

Arachnopeon
if you'r going to the petstore to buy one, just ask them whats the calmest one they have, it really depends on the spider... I'd rather handle my P. irminia then my G.rosea if I was to judge from their aggressiveness, not that I do handle them though..

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be honest, my rosea can be a bit of a psychopath when the mood strikes her. As an alternative, I'd suggest something from Brachypelma. B. smithi or B. albopilosum would be great choices.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Babyjay needs to do a little homework first.

"I want to hold a class on teaching people how to not be scared scratching Lion's belly's without being scared." Hmmm, not sure who will take care of it, but where do I find a lion at? :wall: Why not teach scared 3rd graders on how to prepare Puffer Fish instead?

babyjay

Arachnopeon

Last edited:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thank you to everyone who helped... and for those who didn't, i don't care what you think, obviously tarantulas can be dangerous, and obviously we don't allow everyone to handle them... but whatever happens after my internship is over... tomorrow... will be unrelated to me (which sucks, because i believe i'm the most informed)
this is a 100% real situation, i can post pictures if you really don't believe me.
yesterday we had our rosy in two different classrooms... first graders and preschoolers. i didn't orchestrate this event, my boss did, and to be honest, i've noticed younger children tend to be braver, while more careful with these tarantulas. we DO also have hissing roaches, as well as two kinds of millipedes, bess beetles...

we went to the pet store yesterday... they had 5 different tarantulas, and the 'nicest' one was a mexican red knee, that was way too skittish for our purposes. they've told us they'll call when they get in a rosy haired, although we're still going to look into other places, as well as other types of tarantulas, since we already have one...

thank you for also considering the prices, too!
And when my kindergarten or first grade kid gets injured at school because the "most knowledgeable" person is letting kids handle something that is dangerous... Don't fear the critter... FEAR THE FURIOUS PARENT!

I may be over reacting, but I would certainly hope parents have signed waivers for the liability. I could only imagine the bad press coming from this if something went bad.

It's one thing if you are an expert, it's another when you go to a petstore to fondle the critters to look for the least skiddish one for your project.

Good Luck and I'm just thankful you and your well thought out plan aren't near my school.

Joe - CAK

babyjay

Arachnopeon

Last edited:

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
too young

first graders and preschoolers????? IMO kids this young shouldnt be holding tarantulas. I have a 7 and 9 year old and have seem them around my T's. When the T moves a little quicker than normal they jump a little. This again IMO is a really bad idea especially with kids that are not yours.