General Photography Thread

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Vys, I'm going to ask the obvious question.

If the dressing is so "American", why is it measured in silly metric units? Shouldn't it be in ounces?

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some of what's currently blooming

Wow - there are many truly gorgeous pictures in this thread! :clap: :worship:

I thought I'd contribute and post some pictures of some of the flowers that are currently blooming in my yard. Afterall, I've been spending most of my time in the garden these past few months. :D

---
Wendy
---

Attachments

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Beautiful flowers you have there Wendy.The dahlias are particularly impressive.Are they from seed or bought as tubers?Excellent photography also :clap:

Last edited:

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Melmoth said:
Beautiful flowers you have there Wendy.The dahlias are particularly impressive.Are they from seed or bought as tubers?Excellent photography also :clap:
Thank you very much, dear Sir George. :)

The dahlias were bought as tubers, and initially I thought I had planted them too late (mid May), but they pleasantly surprised me. The flowers are quite large, measuring between 6-10". The only down side is that I'll have to dig up the tubers after the first frost because they are definitely not cold hardy for our climate here. This'll be my first attempt at storing tubers (I've got several more large dahlias, callas, and cannas, all of which need to be dug up :eek: )

---
Wendy
---

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Ah,cannas,yes I grow them,too.Same here,have to dig them up in winter and store them.I love cannas,they are so tropical and exotic looking.Dahlias are quite exotic as well.My favourite dahlia is a dark red one called-"Bishop of Llandaff".Well worth picking up if you ever see them for sale in NJ.

George :)

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Psoulocybe said:
Vys, I'm going to ask the obvious question.

If the dressing is so "American", why is it measured in silly metric units? Shouldn't it be in ounces?
Hah.

Seriously though, I find it kind of stupid that 'American hamburger dressing' should be somewhat of a phenomenon herearound, whereas not a single American I've talked to has had any idea of what is meant. They go 'Hamburger dressing?', even.

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, i have no idea what that means..... i thought that's what ketchup was for

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Vys said:
Hah.

Seriously though, I find it kind of stupid that 'American hamburger dressing' should be somewhat of a phenomenon herearound, whereas not a single American I've talked to has had any idea of what is meant. They go 'Hamburger dressing?', even.
Isn't American hamburger dressing just mayonaise and ketchup? Why not mix your own.... ;)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
LPacker79 said:
I always thought Thousand Island dressing was tartar sauce and ketchup?
Maybe so. My family always made the dressing with mayo and ketchup and called it 1000 Island. Disgusting either way. ;)

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
becca81 said:
AKA 1000 Island
The only thing 1000 Island dressing has in common with 'American Hamburger Dressing' is the colour.
As for 1000 Island being mayo(or tartar) and ketchup, heh, I guess those could be the main ingredients..but I seeriously doubt it.
Then again, I'm pretty sure definitions differ :)

Last edited:

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a terrible picture but I had to get it quick and only had my P&S with me.
No tripod, F2.4 but at least you can see the color I was trying to capture.

It just never ceases to amaze me what smog can do in an urban environment.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a pic of the bear cub that wandered into our yard while we were vacationing at Cape Meares. He must have just left his mama because he's a little thin, but he was doing a good job of digging up grubs out in the grass.

Last edited:

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do too. I grew up in the woods, so I've seen black bears fairly often. They're so interesting to watch. This little guy was digging for grubs and found some wild strawberries as well.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I love bears!
But the only times I have been able to observe them in the wild was at a freaking garbage dump or as roadkill.

Real natural, hey?

My parents however, have had 3 grizzly encounters between the two of them when they were living near the Rockies. Once, they were between a mama and her cubs. That was apparently an intense, 5 minute experience of her circling them while the cubs scampered off to safety.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never seen a wild grizzly, though I've seen signs of them. Black bears are plentiful in the Oregon Cascade range still and in northern Washington.

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LPacker79 said:
I always thought Thousand Island dressing was tartar sauce and ketchup?

I don't think so, it's not chunky! *vomits*