First Tarantula

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
I started off in this hobby pretty recently. I'd say i'm about 5 months in. I did a TON of research beforehand and talked extensively with people who had T's. I got a B. vagans as my first T. Had it for a month or two before deciding i wanted to get more because i really enjoyed keeping spider(s). I got a 1"-2" OBT as my second T. Its speed doesn't even compare to vagans. When i first got my vagans i thought she was quick, but soon realized she wasn't really that bad. Compared to the vagans, the OBT moved at hyper speed. I wasn't really scared of getting bit, but scared of it getting away. Let me tell you, during the unboxing, after i managed to get a catch cup over it my heart was racing and i was mumbling something like "HOW?! How do you move so fast?!?!" Lmao. Since it's been in its enclosure i haven't had any moments nearly as exciting. After another molt or two, when it's time to rehouse, i bet were gunna have another bonding moment lol.

So with that rant, my point is, can you get an OBT as your first? Sure. Would i recommend it? No, i really wouldn't. If you have no experience with T's then you don't know what will seem fast to you or what you'll be able to react to. I'd suggest to start out slower, better safe than sorry. I'd get a grammostola or brachypelma species, raise it for a few months, then get an OBT. You can always sell/trade your first T if you really don't wanna keep it. There are some really cool looking ones in those genus' though. I love my B. boehmei's colors and can't wait until my G. pulchra gets some size and starts showing adult colors. Look up both of them! :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There are some really cool looking ones in those genus' though. I love my B. boehmei's colors and can't wait until my G. pulchra gets some size and starts showing adult colors.
+1. Two more great species, for beginners and experienced both.

Arachnopeon
I was at a convention looking for a G. pulchra when I got my OBT. I had already found and purchased my G. pulchra when I came upon a booth that was selling little OBT slings. The sellsmen was really trying to press one on me, but I told him I didn't really want one because of all the crazy thing I had read. He told me they weren't really that bad as long as you knew what to expect, and it was only $5. I couldn't say no for $5. I loved that little booger too since he was so small I kept him in a simple encloser with no decorations and he made a really intricate web tunnel system in the substrate that he'd use to ambush the crickets. That sellsman was right too, the OBT wasn't that bad.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
You have had an OBT sling for a few months, right? You cannot say whether they are bad or not cause you haven't been around it long enough.

Arachnopeon
I had mine for eight months. plenty of time to see its speed. I give up, the whole point I'm trying to make is you guys over-hype the OBT, its not really that bad.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I am sorry, but no, you haven't. You have *one* sling you haven't even had for a year. I have raised a number of them, and I have started trying to breed them and I *still* will not say I have seen what they can do. You don't have the experience yet to make your statements. So many factors go into spider behavior, and you're trying to sound like an expert based on eight months of having a single sling. Not trying to sound harah or mean but your comments could get someone hurt. Wait a few years and few specimens before you start saying you * know* the species.

---------- Post added 07-29-2013 at 11:01 AM ----------

One thing I want to add is the idea of "over hype". 99% of the time, it will *seem* like over hype. Your spider will behave in a way that makes you think that all the talk is nothing - until that one time it lives up to its reputation. We want people to be prepared for *that* moment. That is where the experience comes in. Not losing your cool when a 6"+ spider with potent venom rushes up your arm and leaps out of the enclosure.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
One thing I want to add is the idea of "over hype". 99% of the time, it will *seem* like over hype. Your spider will behave in a way that makes you think that all the talk is nothing - until that one time it lives up to its reputation. We want people to be prepared for *that* moment. That is where the experience comes in. Not losing your cool when a 6"+ spider with potent venom rushes up your arm and leaps out of the enclosure.
+1. It's not was it 'usually' does, it's what its capable of. That's what beginners are often unprepared for. When you've worked with adults for a few years, including cage transfers and breeding, THEN you have a much better idea what a species can do.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm just going to add a little bit, probably somewhat useless. But I've been stalking this thread for a few days now. I've only been in the hobby for 6-7 years. This year I finally decided to jump into the world of OW tarantulas. I ended up getting a freebie P. murinus from a dealer with a shipment. I've had it for only several months now and it's just a little guy (growing too fast in my opinion lol). And let me tell you, I'm already afraid of it because when it gets bigger, I know I'll really have to keep an eye on it. I think you should get a few tarantulas first. A sling, juvie, adult of several species. Keep them and care for them for about a year. The more tarantulas, the less boring it is. When you've done that, get an OBT sling. Get to know it as it grows. It won't (typically) be bitey as a sling until it hits, what? 2-3" maybe? It'll grow fast, but you can be a little more prepared for speed after a few rehousings. And never let your guard down. That's why I like my "fear" of mine. Just to keep me on my toes and prepared. Every time I open the enclosure, I make sure I know where he is, stick his enclosure in another tub, drop cricket in and close the lid quickly. P. murinus isn't all that exciting if you're housing it correctly. I rarely see mine. You tap the enclosure, he runs straight into his burrow. If I open the enclosure, he is nowhere to be seen. They're not exciting, buy you still have to be prepared. Not going to say I'm an expert with them, because like I said, I only have one and he's a baby. But get some experience first. I promise, get yourself several tarantulas, then get more. You won't be that bored. I have 32. There's always something going on in my T room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added 07-29-2013 at 10:59 AM ----------

I hope that made a little sense. I'm at work, on my phone, trying to be sneaky. I apologize if that was all just crazy nonsense. :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

PeaceBee

Arachnoknight
I agree with LuiziBee. I was kind of launched into the world of OW tarantulas when I got a P. regalis as a gift only two months after starting to keep Ts. Shortly after that, when attempting to do some housekeeping/rehouse, this poor T ended up losing two legs, and I'm glad that was all that happened. Since I have grown accustomed to dealing with my (now two) pokies, but I always recommend against jumping in until you're too ready. You'll read everywhere that they are lightning fast/teleporters, but you can't really appreciate that until you have the experience of having one dart out of its enclosure. I wished that I would have had more experience with the "boring ones" before jumping into the fast, defensive species.

I also want to mention that personally, I think G. rosea is so underrated :( My most defensive T is my rose hair, Persephone, who attacks water, has pulled forceps out of my hands, and generally is ready to throw down at any movement nearby. My other rose hair is just a shy girl and will just hunker down or excuse herself to her hide. So, don't underestimate those with a reputation for being "boring." Just because so many people have them doesn't mean they're boring. If they were boring less people would have them :) Just my two cents.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bottom line:

We gave suggestions, advice from our personal view - now it's up to the OP to decide. Hopefully without having a bad experience due to overestimating one self...

I do fully agree to the fact that research alone won't prepare you for fast, defensive tarantulas, by the way. Hence why I'd suggest going somewhere to take a first-hand look at them before getting one if totally unsure.

chrisacres

Arachnopeon
Bit upset that our old friend the Rosea isn't good enough for him! Nothing wrong with her in my eyes. And I promise you there are some real aggressive ones out there although I'm not sure why you would want that as a feature of your first T.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bit upset that our old friend the Rosea isn't good enough for him! Nothing wrong with her in my eyes. And I promise you there are some real aggressive ones out there although I'm not sure why you would want that as a feature of your first T.
They are "defensive", not "aggressive" - huge difference ;)

EmberPhase

Arachnopeon
G.rosea boring? You've never read the "is my rosie weird? " threads LOL. It truly depends on the individual's personality. I have 3 rosies and each is different and I can tell you some of the stuff they do isn't boring at all. Ever heard of a rosie sitting in her water dish? One of mine does. The other two play footsie with each other through the partition. Yeah some rosies will go through fasting phases or you'll get the one that just want to sit still, but its truly a matter of personality.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I had mine for eight months. plenty of time to see its speed. I give up, the whole point I'm trying to make is you guys over-hype the OBT, its not really that bad.
no one is over hyping anything, do you think people are trying to hoard OBT all to them self because they are coveted. they are dirt cheap and everybody is selling them. just check the bite report of people who get bitten by them is that something that is over hype. A sling or even a juvenile will more often run away then try to stand and give threat display. so you can't say they are over hype just becuase you have a younger OBT for 8 months and had not any problems sure rehousing can be hectic because they are still fast even at a young age, but it will be more hectic when you have a full grown adult that needs to be rehouse and is not running away but is giving you threat display and slapping at you. a sling giving threat display adorable, an adult giving threat display not so much.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
I really, really appreciate all the help, and read almost all the posts pretty much.

I think the White Knee sounds really good, or a Brazilian Pink.. Perhaps a B. Smithi if I can afford a female subadult.. But, I will go to my fairly local Insect Zoo and see what they recommend as there is someone working there from the forums that someone recommended for me to talk to, and I will gladly do that soon!

Thanks so much! :)