First Tarantula

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
If you're really wanting an OBT, get 3 slings they're cheap as dirt, and fun to watch grow up. Mine made an intricate tunnel system in the substrate that it would pop out to grab crickets. It was amazing. I got mine local for $5 as a 1".
How can I hold 3 Ts? I don't have enough enclosures and I'm sure you can't house all 3 together to grow up.

I'm going to check out this paulatpetshop guy, looks good.

Edit: Dang!! Only $40 for a OBT sling for 1.5-2 inches with shipping.

Last edited:

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
How can I hold 3 Ts? I don't have enough enclosures and I'm sure you can't house all 3 together to grow up.
Appropriate enclosures can be purchased at almost any grocery store.

I strongly recommend doing a bit more reading before buying anything. OBTs are considered an advanced species for a reason.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Appropriate enclosures can be purchased at almost any grocery store.

I strongly recommend doing a bit more reading before buying anything. OBTs are considered an advanced species for a reason.
Well, I did find many articles on beginner tarantulas, and I have some background info about the type of species (new world and old world, arboreal and terrestrial), and many said the Rose hair, but it looks pretty plain and boring.
Perhaps a brazilian white knee will be an okay t for me?

Will240393

Arachnopeon
You could try Brachypelma's, most are docile i believe and all are beautiful to look at.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
While there's no real "beginner species" in my opinion (coming from someone that bought a P. irminia 3.5" juvie as start), it'll depend highly on you having researched (!) the T in mind -before- you buy it (and I don't mean looking at pretty pictures by that!), your reaction time and the specimen you'll get. No matter the species, you can end up with one that acts differently than most of their species. I'm not lying when I say I was hyped when I got mine, but while housing that particular T she did show me just -how- insanely fast they can go if spooked! If you've never seen it before in person - that'll teach you for sure ;)

Now, no matter what you decide - do yourself (and the hobby!) a favor and do your research (yes, do some on your own, their behavior, how they like their enclosures, what precautions you should take, venom strength, and everything else) before you go ahead and buy that T. Personally, I don't see a problem starting with any T if you're prepared correctly, but judging from what I'm reading from you, I'd strongly suggest to start doing some research on your own and not get iany T before you did.

As for colorful, yet easy to deal with species, there's always the Brachypelma spp., Euathlus spp., even Grammostola pulchripes as ground-dwelling (terrestrials) species that seriously aren't difficult to deal with. For arboreals there's nothing better than Avicularia spp. if you're unsure. Provided the little itsy bit of extra care, they're easy to raise and beautiful but usually gentle arboreal (tree-dwelling) tarantulas. I'd probably sort Iridopelma and Tapinauchineus next, the Psalmopeus followed by the "high-end" Poecis, H. macs and Stromatopelma spp...(the latter I wouldn't suggest to someone with zero experience outright - but that's only my personal thought). I tend to be extra careful especially on the inet where you don't know the person you're writing to really.

Keep in mind - sooner or later you -will- have to get in contact with the T during rehousing or in case one goes free-range by escaping! Be prepared and you'll be fine.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
While there's no real "beginner species" in my opinion (coming from someone that bought a P. irminia 3.5" juvie as start), it'll depend highly on you having researched (!) the T in mind -before- you buy it (and I don't mean looking at pretty pictures by that!), your reaction time and the specimen you'll get. No matter the species, you can end up with one that acts differently than most of their species. I'm not lying when I say I was hyped when I got mine, but while housing that particular T she did show me just -how- insanely fast they can go if spooked! If you've never seen it before in person - that'll teach you for sure ;)

Now, no matter what you decide - do yourself (and the hobby!) a favor and do your research (yes, do some on your own, their behavior, how they like their enclosures, what precautions you should take, venom strength, and everything else) before you go ahead and buy that T. Personally, I don't see a problem starting with any T if you're prepared correctly, but judging from what I'm reading from you, I'd strongly suggest to start doing some research on your own and not get iany T before you did.

As for colorful, yet easy to deal with species, there's always the Brachypelma spp., Euathlus spp., even Grammostola pulchripes as ground-dwelling (terrestrials) species that seriously aren't difficult to deal with. For arboreals there's nothing better than Avicularia spp. if you're unsure. Provided the little itsy bit of extra care, they're easy to raise and beautiful but usually gentle arboreal (tree-dwelling) tarantulas. I'd probably sort Iridopelma and Tapinauchineus next, the Psalmopeus followed by the "high-end" Poecis, H. macs and Stromatopelma spp...(the latter I wouldn't suggest to someone with zero experience outright - but that's only my personal thought). I tend to be extra careful especially on the inet where you don't know the person you're writing to really.

Keep in mind - sooner or later you -will- have to get in contact with the T during rehousing or in case one goes free-range by escaping! Be prepared and you'll be fine.
Thanks! So much information and help.
Those recommendations you gave me will be looked at and I will research into each one!

Websites say for like a 7-8 inch T you need a 15 gallon or more.. Is that true or will an adult 7-8 T live fine in a 10 Gallon?

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
I think you should leave the aquariums to the goldfish and guppies, transparent plastic containers are much simpler and affordable.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
I just called a local university that has an insect zoo, who is about 30 minutes away from where I live.

They have a huge variety of T's, ranging from slings costing $10 to a sub adult White Knee for around $40!
I will research in all the Ts you guys recommended me and I will see if they have any of the T's you guys told me to get.
I think the lady said they also have a Golden Chaco!

What are other common species you can find in a pet store that you guys recommend?
I need recommendations so I can look them up, since most of the places I am looking at are just saying the boring Rose hair, which I have no interest for!

I think you should leave the aquariums to the goldfish and guppies, transparent plastic containers are much simpler and affordable.
I have no interests in fish, haha. I just buy the used aquariums/terrariums for like $20 at a LPS and use them, since they are very roomy, can fit like 4-6.5 inches of substrate well and should accommodate any type of insect. As I was told from many people, a 7-8 inch fully grown adult T should fit comfortably in a 10 gallon, so I am very relieved.

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
I have no interests in fish, haha. I just buy the used aquariums/terrariums for like $20 at a LPS and use them, since they are very roomy, can fit like 4-6.5 inches of substrate well and should accommodate any type of insect.
20 bucks for a used 10 gallon aquarium is a rip-off, I'm constantly seeing them for $10 brand new. A big advantage of plastic containers (besides cost, weight, availability, variety of sizes, ability to customize ventilation, etc.) is that most come with a proper fitting lid.

I highly recommend doing business with Kiffnie and the great people at the KSU Insect Zoo, I've gotten some insane deals from them over the years.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
20 bucks for a used 10 gallon aquarium is a rip-off, I'm constantly seeing them for $10 brand new. A big advantage of plastic containers (besides cost, weight, availability, variety of sizes, ability to customize ventilation, etc.) is that most come with a proper fitting lid.

I highly recommend doing business with Kiffnie and the great people at the KSU Insect Zoo, I've gotten some insane deals from them over the years.
Nice to know someone is fairly near me and can recommend me!
Yeah, I was planning to visit the zoo just to look at stuff and buy a T there!

I will definitely look for her! I will ask her a bunch of questions since I assume she has a lot of knowledge and can help me out.

Where else can I find an aquarium like that then for $10 new? I saw online for Walmart but it's out of stock always, and doesn't come with a screen.
I need to find a plain glass one with a plain mesh lid, and I plan on installing velcro to latch the top and tank together so they won't come lose of the T escapes.

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
Nice to know someone is fairly near me and can recommend me!
Yeah, I was planning to visit the zoo just to look at stuff and buy a T there!

I will definitely look for her! I will ask her a bunch of questions since I assume she has a lot of knowledge and can help me out.

Where else can I find an aquarium like that then for $10 new? I saw online for Walmart but it's out of stock always, and doesn't come with a screen.
I need to find a plain glass one with a plain mesh lid, and I plan on installing velcro to latch the top and tank together so they won't come lose of the T escapes.
Chances are, whatever you decide to get will be too small/young for a 10 gallon anyways. A kritter keeper, deli cup, or Sterilite/Rubbermaid-type container will be needed until your T is ready for it's adult enclosure.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Guy almost sounds about 14 and wants instant gratification.
Sorry for asking for help, I just want to make sure.
Like I said, I looked up on a lot of forums and websites and many say to get certain types of T's, but I don't want them, like the Rose hair.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your options of picking up mature females online for those prices shipped are going to be very limited. I would not recommend OBTs if your only experience is a P. imp.

Why do you want an OBT? Is it only because of their reputation of being defensive?

If you are looking for a T that is faster try something like P. irminia before an OBT. If you are set on an African OW try E.pachypus. They have an OW bite so be cautious, but are a better introductory African OW IMO. Very unique appearance!

OBTs are fast and can be very defensive and have a painful bite. They can move short distances very quickly (teleport). If you are really set on it, make the OBT your second T choice.

Kaltheory

Arachnopeon
You should just get a GBB. without reading through all the thread I'm sure someone else has recommended one. NW but gorgeous. more expensive though but Hey, go big or go home.

Arachnopeon
I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that the OBT is an "advance" species they don't die if the humidity is 1% off, mine was extreemly hardy. Yes they're fast and they're quick for biting. I ended up with a Haitian Brown as my first T and not a month later I had a rose hair, G. pulchra sling, and the OBT sling. They're fast, and you need to be aware of that, and apprently they have a horrible bite from what I've heard. However, there is nothing truly advanced about raising them.

On the subject on what to keep them in just go to the grocery store and get the zip lock container bowls, that help me over for six months with my sling.

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that the OBT is an "advance" species they don't die if the humidity is 1% off, mine was extreemly hardy. Yes they're fast and they're quick for biting. I ended up with a Haitian Brown as my first T and not a month later I had a rose hair, G. pulchra sling, and the OBT sling. They're fast, and you need to be aware of that, and apprently they have a horrible bite from what I've heard. However, there is nothing truly advanced about raising them.

On the subject on what to keep them in just go to the grocery store and get the zip lock container bowls, that help me over for six months with my sling.
I don't understand why some people can't accept the fact that fast, defensive, OW tarantulas are a poor choice for beginners. Can it be done? Of course. Is it prudent for experienced keepers to suggest them to young people who are new to the hobby and seeking advice? IMO, no.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
I don't understand why some people can't accept the fact that fast, defensive, OW tarantulas are a poor choice for beginners. Can it be done? Of course. Is it prudent for experienced keepers to suggest them to young people who are new to the hobby and seeking advice? IMO, no.
I just feel if you researched well into the certain T that you want, what it needs, how it acts, etc.. Then you should be able to take care of it if you feel very confident of doing so.

Yep, my local insect zoo does sell GBB and I always wanted one also, they do look very nice and are fairly pricey.

I might consider getting a OBT sling as my second T in the future.
But, I am going to buy a baby emperor from them also when getting my T. Only $10 for a baby emp.

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
I just feel if you researched well into the certain T that you want, what it needs, how it acts, etc..
Research is great, it's just not a substitute for getting some experience with slower, less defensive species before you jump into it.
Then you should be able to take care of it if you feel very confident of doing so.
Confidence. It's the food of the wise man but the liquor of the fool.

You asked for advice and we gave it, the fact that it wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear doesn't make the advice any less valid.

Good luck with the new GBB.:)

ETA: Take a few pics when you go to KSU for the Zoo Trips section here, I've only purchased from them at shows so I'd be interested to see what it's all about.

Last edited:

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Research is great, it's just not a substitute for getting some experience with slower, less defensive species before you jump into it. Confidence. It's the food of the wise man but the liquor of the fool.

You asked for advice and we gave it, the fact that it wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear doesn't make the advice any less valid.
Good luck with the new GBB.:)
ETA: Take a few pics when you go to KSU for the Zoo Trips section here, I've only purchased from them at shows so I'd be interested to see what it's all about.
Not saying it wasn't invalid, I just thought my own way. :/

Yeah, probably going to get a Brazilian Pink or a GBB, or maybe something.
I'm sure the researchers there can help me out find a nice colorful, semi aggressive, T, if I can't afford a GBB or the Brazilian Pink.

Maybe Ill get a chaco golden knee, since they have those too!