First Tarantula

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Hello! Back on the forums.
I've been taking good care of my Emperor and I truly love it!

It's been a few months of me wanting a Tarantula and I think it's time for me to decide what I want and such.
So... I need some suggestions please! I DO NOT want the boring Rose hairs or whatever.. Something exotic looking and colorful.
What is arboreal and terrestrial? Is it what I think: arboreal is living in like trees or higher places (I'm assuming you need to buy/put in branches so it can climb), and that terrestrials are land based?

I plan on buying it online. I want it to be at most $50 (including shipping.. So.. About a $15-20 tarantula since shipping is like $30 or whatever) and sold by a reputable seller.
And, I was hoping I can buy off a site that has the option to get the certain sex, because I know and read that females live so much longer and are sometimes bigger!

I was considering a OBT, and I really think I can handle it. I don't see what is so hard about caring for tarantulas, as I can mist an enclosure everyday with no issue, and feed it everyday if needed. I'm not scared of getting bitten, but I will always take caution.

So, please tell me any reputable online sites where I can buy a tarantula for under $50 with shipping, and choose the sex! I want to know what are some interesting species to get.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
You're more than likely not going to get a female T beside an Avicularia avicularia or rose hair for $50 shipped. You'll need to spend a bit more or buy local. I would recommend something like a Grammostola pulchripes if your invert experience is an Emp. The difference in speed and defensiveness between and Emp and OBT is night and day.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most Avicularia sp can work for you, provided you get the humidity/ventilation down.

Will240393

Arachnopeon
Wait arn't emps considered boring?, do not under estimate a OW T if you're thinking about getting one.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
You could buy slings, that way its cheaper (per T) and can get more than 1 or 2, probably 3-4 depending on the prices, as said look in your LPS cause most have good collection, well a nice size one, also saving you shipping costs.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
You're more than likely not going to get a female T beside an Avicularia avicularia or rose hair for $50 shipped. You'll need to spend a bit more or buy local. I would recommend something like a Grammostola pulchripes if your invert experience is an Emp. The difference in speed and defensiveness between and Emp and OBT is night and day.
Well, I have a LPS but I'm kind of sketchy on buying from them as I got an Emp from them and it died, so I got a replacement after complaining a little and I'm not sure if I'm welcomed again, haha.
Yeah, I know they are a huge difference in how they act and stuff, but I really want my first T to be very unique in color, aggressive, and more active during the night... And maybe the day.

Any recommendations? Most Grammostola species are a bit boring though, from what I heard, such as the Rose hair.

I was informed a lot of arboreal species, although more aggressive, look a lot better. I'm not too worried about getting hurt, as I will always be careful and will probably put velcro on the lid so it stays shut.
:)

hearsemadam

Arachnosquire
Can someone point me in the same direction. Id love to find female other-than-rosehair for under $50.00, shipped!!!

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
You could get an L,parahybana or klugi, they have nice coloration and can be seen day and night as they grow hardly ever, if at all use their hide (mine doesn't). they are cheap meaning you could buy another T alongside, including shipping costs.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
You could get an L,parahybana or klugi, they have nice coloration and can be seen day and night as they grow hardly ever, if at all use their hide (mine doesn't). they are cheap meaning you could buy another T alongside, including shipping costs.
I would like both, but they seem way, way too big.
I need one that comfortably lives in a 10 gallon aquarium... As an adult.
So I guess a 5-7 incher would fair well in a 10 gallon.
Although they both look awesome and I wish I had it, I can't since I can't really get another aquarium!

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Hello! Back on the forums.
I've been taking good care of my Emperor and I truly love it!

It's been a few months of me wanting a Tarantula and I think it's time for me to decide what I want and such.
So... I need some suggestions please! I DO NOT want the boring Rose hairs or whatever.. Something exotic looking and colorful.
What is arboreal and terrestrial? Is it what I think: arboreal is living in like trees or higher places (I'm assuming you need to buy/put in branches so it can climb), and that terrestrials are land based?

I plan on buying it online. I want it to be at most $50 (including shipping.. So.. About a $15-20 tarantula since shipping is like $30 or whatever) and sold by a reputable seller.
And, I was hoping I can buy off a site that has the option to get the certain sex, because I know and read that females live so much longer and are sometimes bigger!

I was considering a OBT, and I really think I can handle it. I don't see what is so hard about caring for tarantulas, as I can mist an enclosure everyday with no issue, and feed it everyday if needed. I'm not scared of getting bitten, but I will always take caution.

So, please tell me any reputable online sites where I can buy a tarantula for under $50 with shipping, and choose the sex! I want to know what are some interesting species to get.
for the money you are willing to spend you will only get a sling for that price and they will be unsexable. also you don't want a boring T, but OBT are pretty much boring staying in burrowing and come out at night, also they like it dry so no misting and don't need to be fed everyday. so I recommend you do some more research before you jump into tarantulas.

lancej

Arachnolord
I would like both, but they seem way, way too big.
I need one that comfortably lives in a 10 gallon aquarium... As an adult.
So I guess a 5-7 incher would fair well in a 10 gallon.
Although they both look awesome and I wish I had it, I can't since I can't really get another aquarium!
Either of those species would be very comfortable in a 10 gallon as long as you provide enough substrate. However, finding a female of any species except for a rose hair for under $50 shipped is going to be the hard part. Especially from a reputable dealer. Since your LPS is out, you could try online local classifieds. There is someone here on AB selling female Brachypelma vagans for $35, and shipping is $25-30.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
C. fasciatum. Although they are a bit more pricey they are very attractive, very active and web alot, also they are considered semi-dwarf so you won't have problems with size

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Either of those species would be very comfortable in a 10 gallon as long as you provide enough substrate. However, finding a female of any species except for a rose hair for under $50 shipped is going to be the hard part. Especially from a reputable dealer. Since your LPS is out, you could try online local classifieds. There is someone here on AB selling female Brachypelma vagans for $35, and shipping is $25-30.
Would kenthebugguy be an okay place to order a t from?
Good, that's great then. I thought I needed a 15+ gallon tank for a 7+ inch t, but I guess I didn't know much for that.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Yea, ken is great. Won't be unhappy getting a package from him. :)
Thanks mike!
I'm debating on spending double the amount for live guarentee shipping or just sticking to the $15 one, since that's WAY more affordable.
And I still REALLY want a OBT from his site, it's $15 for a 1.5 inch sling/baby

Trantula X

Arachnopeon
Paul Becker at Pet Center USA would be a good choice as well, I just got 3 new T's from him this morning; he's an A+ experience all around. If I'm not mistaken I believe he has 2.5"-3" Avic. Avic right now for 20-25$. With shipping it would come to roughly 55-60$ plus I think you'd also get a "freebie" B. Vagans. Hope this helps.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Paul Becker at Pet Center USA would be a good choice as well, I just got 3 new T's from him this morning; he's an A+ experience all around. If I'm not mistaken I believe he has 2.5"-3"
Avic. Avic right now for 20-25$. With shipping it would come to roughly 55-60$ plus I think you'd also get a "freebie" B. Vagans. Hope this helps.
Where can I find him/talk to him/email?

Arachnopeon
If you're really wanting an OBT, get 3 slings they're cheap as dirt, and fun to watch grow up. Mine made an intricate tunnel system in the substrate that it would pop out to grab crickets. It was amazing. I got mine local for $5 as a 1".