Feeding A T, A Lizard?

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
I don't know why so many people absolutely want others to stick to crickets... I mean, some of my Ts don't even touch them anymore but will go ape when a mouse or a lizard is released in the enclosure. I am one of the morons who enjoy winessing an actual hunt rather than collecting crickets. If the prey is unconscious fast, I see nothing wrong. Witnessing predation is my guilty pleasure Mouhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
LMAO It's also a joy to the tarantula to be able to hunt down it's prey as a natural act while in captivity. If everything comes in it's enclosure barely over an inch big, and this tarantula is 6 or 7 inch legspan, it's not going to be in a mimicked environment. I find it rather ridiculous to watch my 5.5" Rosea slap 3 crickets in her fangs, and I have to get as close as possible just to see if she has them. Yet she'll take down a small lizard for about an hour or two and I know she's loving it, and has had a good meal.

Also, T's that thrive near desert areas, or very dry habitats, are not going to be feeding on a cricket diet their entire lives, and may hardly ever come across them. There are tarantulas that feast on the some things people are afraid of, because they are using human emotion. Tarantulas don't need human emotion in the wild. They are fearless, and they stalk, and they are more feared than most small predators.

People in this hobby tend to promote their own propaganda's rather than keeping it real and natural. I really love the guy saying his 7" tarantula only gets 3 crickets a week, because they eat less when they get bigger. Where do people get this nonsense? I buy all my larger T's from a Reptile Pet Store here in Florida, and they've gotten healthy molts from most their T's and they've told me (pinky mice) are a heavy dose in their diets. And that crickets are the side bar. This is from a store that uses wood chips for substrate as well. T's that live near water will feast on whatever creatures it can that also lives near water.

People need to learn the T's habitat and what's in it rather than strictly compromising every tarantula's diet on crickets, or Superworms that aren't even native to that country or environment, simply because someone else is doing it.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
People need to learn the T's habitat and what's in it rather than strictly compromising every tarantula's diet on crickets, or Superworms that aren't even native to that country or environment, simply because someone else is doing it.
Actually no, they don't need to learn what their T eats in the wild and feed accordingly. Many, many people successfully breed Ts that are fed exclusively crickets or roaches not native to the Ts natural habitat. I feed a mix of crickets and locusts to my Ts. I don't feed vertebrate prey, but I don't have a problem if others do.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LMAO It's also a joy to the tarantula to be able to hunt down it's prey as a natural act while in captivity. If everything comes in it's enclosure barely over an inch big, and this tarantula is 6 or 7 inch legspan, it's not going to be in a mimicked environment. I find it rather ridiculous to watch my 5.5" Rosea slap 3 crickets in her fangs, and I have to get as close as possible just to see if she has them. Yet she'll take down a small lizard for about an hour or two and I know she's loving it, and has had a good meal.

Also, T's that thrive near desert areas, or very dry habitats, are not going to be feeding on a cricket diet their entire lives, and may hardly ever come across them. There are tarantulas that feast on the some things people are afraid of, because they are using human emotion. Tarantulas don't need human emotion in the wild. They are fearless, and they stalk, and they are more feared than most small predators.

People in this hobby tend to promote their own propaganda's rather than keeping it real and natural. I really love the guy saying his 7" tarantula only gets 3 crickets a week, because they eat less when they get bigger. Where do people get this nonsense? I buy all my larger T's from a Reptile Pet Store here in Florida, and they've gotten healthy molts from most their T's and they've told me (pinky mice) are a heavy dose in their diets. And that crickets are the side bar. This is from a store that uses wood chips for substrate as well. T's that live near water will feast on whatever creatures it can that also lives near water.

:wall: Some people never learn

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really love the guy saying his 7" tarantula only gets 3 crickets a week, because they eat less when they get bigger. Where do people get this nonsense?
Nonsense? Just look one quote below

I buy all my larger T's from a Reptile Pet Store here in Florida, and they've gotten healthy molts from most their T's and they've told me (pinky mice) are a heavy dose in their diets. And that crickets are the side bar. This is from a store that uses wood chips for substrate as well.

Hmm..... I guess they know what they're doing {D

But we all see where you get your nonsense from :wall:

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Actually no, they don't need to learn what their T eats in the wild and feed accordingly. Many, many people successfully breed Ts that are fed exclusively crickets or roaches not native to the Ts natural habitat. I feed a mix of crickets and locusts to my Ts. I don't feed vertebrate prey, but I don't have a problem if others do.
I didn't say they have to feed them, what I said is the false propaganda of only feeding them 3 crickets a week, or strict cricket and worm diets is not true. If I came across grasshoppers, locusts or whatever else I'll add that in as well. The needing to learn their habitat statement was for those pushing that opinionated doctrine on others, that's all. I don't feed my T's small mice but others do, and I have no problem with it, if the tarantula doesn't.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Still, I wish I could access large and clean feeder insects like the big roaches and locusts they have in Europe. Feeding mice is not necessarely something that i always like to do.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Merfolk,
The very large P. ornata I got from you is thriving. After a couple weeks of having her I noticed she wasnt interested in crickets and started to be less visible and more hiding. I then read a post you made a few months ago about the the types of feeders you had been feeding it. ie frogs etc. I then went to a couple lps until I found an anole that wasn't $20. I have never seen any spider go frigging crazy over a prey item like that P. ornata did on the lizard. She will eat crickets now but I have been diligent on making sure she (and others) have larger prey given to them every once in awhile. I see no problem with it done in moderation. Only problem is I like lizards so it's abit hard to do. These spiders from India/Sri Lanka etc. have many lizards to eat in their native countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles_of_South_Asia
http://members.rediff.com/cool_sinha/sinha/reptiles.htm

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Still, I wish I could access large and clean feeder insects like the big roaches and locusts they have in Europe. Feeding mice is not necessarely something that i always like to do.
Well i am from europe, and i sometimes give my poecolotheria and haplopelmas the big roaches such as Blaberus cranifer, and they do give a good alternative to vertabrates as far as hunting goes and the crunch big time when they eat them;-)

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Still don't have quite the nerve to deal with roaches. I despise house and German roaches. So breeding larger ones I haven't grasped yet, but it seems the way to go when you start to build up your tarantula archive.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I didn't say they have to feed them, what I said is the false propaganda of only feeding them 3 crickets a week, or strict cricket and worm diets is not true. If I came across grasshoppers, locusts or whatever else I'll add that in as well. The needing to learn their habitat statement was for those pushing that opinionated doctrine on others, that's all. I don't feed my T's small mice but others do, and I have no problem with it, if the tarantula doesn't.

It's not about their natural habitats or their diets that most people are trying to attain. To an extent yes- we need to know about their natural habitats to keep them ALIVE..Especially those of us who keep them at higher temps and not at room temp.

The 3 cricket rule isnt meant to starve our T's. Most T's in the wild will experience a famine or two in it's lifetime...but its more or less meant for expanding their life cycle. If you powerfeed a spyderling- It will grow faster. If you powerfeed an adult T- it will essentially age quicker and wont live as long as we know they can.

JayMoney

Arachnopeon
Seriously? All of this Chatter over a Baby Lizard?

I ended up not feeding it to her, because she showed no
interest in it. Plus, it tried jumping on her back, lol, she got scared and
ran under her hide.. So I just took it out, and set him free.

Me + Her <33

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Somebody had the nerve To tell me that A T and My bearded dragon puff could live In the same enclosure. (ahahahha!?) I just wanted to punch them in the face in the nicest way possible, that's obsurd.

What about a small lizard, maybee a salamander?

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
LMAO such a small T. It's practically still a baby. Lizard spooked it out trying to hitch a piggyback ride. Yea wait till your T gets around 4"+ and baby lizards won't be catching piggyback rides anymore. {D

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon

For someone who was posting about having a split tank and watching one tarantula eat another due to negligence, you sure have learned a lot in the past few weeks.....maybe you should write the next book so we all can read it and become experts!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

As a reptile fan (especially lizards) I take offense of behalf of the baby lizard.
For Shame!!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

No, you did feed it to her, it doesn't matter if it took it or not, you were feeding it, but it didn't eat. Even though you were advised not to, which is completely irresponsible on your part.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
For someone who was posting about having a split tank and watching one tarantula eat another due to negligence, you sure have learned a lot in the past few weeks.....maybe you should write the next book so we all can read it and become experts!
Do you get paid to be a troll? I'd love to meet some of you off this Forum. It's called common sense. And yes I'd do the split tank again. I see I didn't do well putting most of you waste of times on ignore. I thought I got all of you. Thank for speaking up.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you get paid to be a troll? I'd love to meet some of you off this Forum. It's called common sense. And yes I'd do the split tank again. I see I didn't do well putting most of you waste of times on ignore. I thought I got all of you. Thank for speaking up.
Arachnoboards say hello to your new Batgirl.......................

DAWGPOUNDSOUND!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap: