Feeder scorpions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Offended? Aye. With dumb. With the ridiculous. It's not the likes of me that should refrain from posting but you.
I am kinda offended ngl, not offended by the fact that you were the opposite of helpful but by the fact that while I spent time carefully reading and answering your inquiries, but you just assumed things and jumped straight to the conclusion that I was some sort of psychopath that lied about my feelings. It’s also kinda funny how it was just a question and you came in and decided to personally attack me, it’s funny to see how salty this post made you and you’re just hiding behind the screen furiously typing nonsense, keep it up mate

Look centipedes will eat anything including carcasses and road kill.
I know that.....but I just want to see it eat live food, jeez I feel like I committed a horrible crime here

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I know that.....but I just want to see it eat live food, jeez I feel like I committed a horrible crime here
No it is an excessive amount of money for single meal just to watch a much larger stronger predator take down a smaller relatively speaking weaker predator. The centipede gets zero gains from it maybe gets envenomated maybe suffers some neuromuscular injuries from it. The centipede may not be immune to the effects of the scorpion venom even though it may not also pose a mortal danger. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
No it is an excessive amount of money for single meal just watch a much larger predator take down a smaller relatively speaking weaker predator. The centipede gets zero gains from it maybe gets envenomated maybe suffers some neuromuscular injuries from it. The centipede may not be immune to the effects of the scorpion venom even though it may not also pose a mortal danger. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️
I’ve actually seen centipedes recover from scorpion stings (too lazy to pull up the source, sorry)

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I’ve actually seen centipedes recover from scorpion stings (too lazy to pull up the source, sorry)
Like I said, who knows?

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
No it is an excessive amount of money for single meal just to watch a much larger stronger predator take down a smaller relatively speaking weaker predator. The centipede gets zero gains from it maybe gets envenomated maybe suffers some neuromuscular injuries from it. The centipede may not be immune to the effects of the scorpion venom even though it may not also pose a mortal danger. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️
And also keep in mind I am not only using them as feeders, I will only feed them off in the event that they breed successfully, maybe I didn’t list my priorities correctly but my number one priority is to keep fast reproducing communal scorpions as pets or just purely something to look at when I am bored, in the end even if they breed successfully I can only imagine 30 percent of them been fed off

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I'm sure your centipede will be very happy eating anything non-scorpion you put into its enclosure. Just my opinion!

Last edited:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I'm sure your centipede will be very happy eating anything non-scorpion you put into its enclosure. Just my opinion!

To the best of my knowledge there is not a single centipede on the planet that eats exclusively scorpions. That is one expensive meal. He might as well as breed lizards and mice as they can also be a part a centipedes diet. Centipedes are opportunistic predators they will kill and eat anything they can overpower and kill. There is no nutritional advantages offered by scorpions over roaches or crickets or worms. No way am I feeding any centipede a $7-15 scorpion that a centipede gains nothing from. Plus, scorpions are too awesome and cool to be a feeder.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
And also keep in mind I am not only using them as feeders, I will only feed them off in the event that they breed successfully, maybe I didn’t list my priorities correctly but my number one priority is to keep fast reproducing communal scorpions as pets or just purely something to look at when I am bored, in the end even if they breed successfully I can only imagine 30 percent of them been fed off
If you do decide to use them as feeders, please leave the telson on to make it fair. If they ran into each other in nature, it could go either way so let nature take its course...

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
If you do decide to use them as feeders, please leave the telson on to make it fair. If they ran into each other in nature, it could go either way so let nature take its course...
Agreed. That is a form of animal cruelty and mutilation. Just know that if the centipede is stung it could be feeling it in the morning and there may even be evidence of lasting temporary physiological change too i.e. evidence of injury.

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
not really fair to feed a mutilated and weakened prey item off. I don't really see the nutritional value of scorpions, not a particularly wholesome feeder.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
not really fair to feed a mutilated and weakened prey item off. I don't really see the nutritional value of scorpions, not a particularly wholesome feeder.
This makes for quite the interesting moral debate when you consider that many of us, myself included, are guilty of the ol' crushing a feeder's head trick to make things a bit easier for our pets.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
This makes for quite the interesting moral debate when you consider that many of us, myself included, are guilty of the ol' crushing a feeder's head trick to make things a bit easier for our pets.
I personally have never done that, so no guilty moral debate for me... ;)

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Not really a moral debate it is prekilled vs mutilation (possibly slow death if the centipede rejects them). Scorpions should not have one of their greatest means of survival denied them or removed from them. Now if he said he would crush their prosoma first maybe there would be a debate.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I think the "ol' crushing the feders head trick" applies mainly to mealworms/ roaches, and that is only to stop them burrowing straight away, not to make them defenceless.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
I doubt it’ll go either way because bark scorpions are much smaller, I can’t imagine feeding my centipede adults, but yes I’ll leave the telson on

I think the "ol' crushing the feders head trick" applies mainly to mealworms/ roaches, and that is only to stop them burrowing straight away, not to make them defenceless.
It works both ways, people have reported having their roaches kill their animals when they’re molting, and we don’t want them to dig in the first place because we don’t want to not know they’re still alive and only to have them come out when the scorpion or tarantula is still molting

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Bark scorpions are one of the most dangerous scorpions in the US with one of the highest potencies of venom. This seems like a really good way to kill your centipede. It seems you are determined to use scorpions as feeders but I truly do not understand why. There are so many better feeders out there, many of which do not even require having mutilations performed on them to feed. I really do not understand why you have chosen this path.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I doubt it’ll go either way because bark scorpions are much smaller, I can’t imagine feeding my centipede adults, but yes I’ll leave the telson on
I don't really think size matters here when we are talking venom, some of the most venomous specimens are the smallest specimens... but I'm glad you'll leave the telson on.

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
Ok, I wasn't going to pile on until I saw this quote. HERE'S where basin79 and the others are coming from. You flat-out just admitted what they've been telling you, that you're just doing this for entertainment. And yeah, I think you need to not do this. If you're so desperate to see them do things like they would in the wild, go visit them in their natural habitat. Besides, while I don't know much about the Scolopendra sp that you have(can't stand centipedes, but to each their own), I don't think that Centruroides species are found in their native habitat (except maybe the heros, which you might very well have), so you're wrong on this as well (again, not sure about where these are from, so I could also be wrong). And, the cockroach comparison doesn't work. Cockroaches are literally prey items in the wild, whereas scorpions are (mostly) only prey to larger mammals and the occasional lizard. Just stop with this thread. You're not going to get the validation that you so desperately want, especially on a forum that is about CARING for the very things that you so clearly view as inferior. God, take a hint.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
I don't really think size matters here when we are talking venom, some of the most venomous specimens are the smallest specimens... but I'm glad you'll leave the telson on.
I know it won’t matter......but don’t you think a bigger scorpions will have a bigger chance of killing the pede? Isn’t that obvious enough?

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I know it won’t matter......but don’t you think a bigger scorpions will have a bigger chance of killing the pede? Isn’t that obvious enough?
Not really, I think it's matter of speed in this case

Status
Not open for further replies.