Feeder scorpions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yes, sadly I’ll have to cut off the stingers, but the problem shouldn’t be a problem because centipedes eat scorpions in the wild, they use a technique like the 69 position (bear with me, there is no better analogy) where their modified front legs aka fangs are holding and biting into the lower segment of the scorpion while the scorpion’s stinger is been controlled by the centipede’s mid section with a bunch of legs, and the hind legs are controlling the pinchers of the scorpion
"Yes, sadly I'll have to cut off the stingers".

No you don't. You could forget this ridiculous "they feed on them in the wild crap" and remember captivity ISN'T the wild and inverts will happily THRIVE on a different diet.

This is 100% YOU getting some sort of kick of watching defenceless scorpions getting eaten.

"Sadly". Behave. You'll love it.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Mainly Scolopendra heros and possibly solifugid species if I get them in the future, it is quite a scene to see a solifugid preying on a scorpion, I’ll occasionally feed them to scorpions though if supply allows, it won’t be a weekly thing for all my animals, I just feel like I want to give them more variety to mimic their natural habitat

Lmao
But you aren't mimicing mother nature if you remove the scorpion's telson.

Centruroides sculpteratus found preying upon a Scolopendra polymorpha in the wild:

scorpioncentipede_color1.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
what is the most affordable scorpion species? I am trying to get about maybe 5-6 to use as colony starters (I know it’ll probably take 1-2 years to have babies if I am lucky), and if I can’t use them to breed I just want to feed them to other animals, and yes I will cut off the stinger

Edit: I am sorry guys if this makes me look like a psychopath and/or make you guys sad, I don’t hate scorpions personally, I would actually enjoy keeping them as purely pets, but if I could use them as feeders occasionally that would be awesome as well
A scorpion will fight any would be predator. Not a gamble I would choose to partake in. And cutting off the telson is cruel.

Just use feeder crickets or meal worms. A lot less of a headache.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Chopping off a scorpion's telson is cruel. Basically, a scorpion is not going offer a heros any greater nutrition than say a cricket, roach, raw meat, fish, or a piece of fruit would.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
But you aren't mimicing mother nature if you remove the scorpion's telson.

Centruroides sculpteratus found preying upon a Scolopendra polymorpha in the wild:

View attachment 373506
So are you suggesting instead of feeding my centipede in the enclosure I should feed it out in the open to mimic more of Mother Nature and risk having it run away? And why did you send a picture of the scorpion eating the centipede? How does this relate to “feeder scorpions”? I know that scorpions eat centipede as well, I am not THAT dumb, but there are obviously centipedes that are way bigger than bark scorpions

Chopping off a scorpion's telson is cruel. Basically, a scorpion is not going offer a heros any greater nutrition than say a cricket, roach, raw meat, fish, or a piece of fruit would.
I would just like to occasionally see my centipede prey on other live animals, given the fact that my centipede doesn’t eat roaches

"Yes, sadly I'll have to cut off the stingers".

No you don't. You could forget this ridiculous "they feed on them in the wild crap" and remember captivity ISN'T the wild and inverts will happily THRIVE on a different diet.

This is 100% YOU getting some sort of kick of watching defenceless scorpions getting eaten.

"Sadly". Behave. You'll love it.
If you’re not gonna help I’d rather you not waste both of our times commenting

basin79

ArachnoGod
If you’re not gonna help I’d rather you not waste both of our times commenting
Aye, and I'd rather those like you didn't post on the forum. "My pets DON'T need to be fed scorpions but I WANT TO CUT THEIR STINGERS OFF and watch them get eaten".

Seriously mods can you not step in? If someone posted "I'm going to cut a tarantula's chelicerae off and feed them to my centipede because I'm special" got posted on here it'd be closed down.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Aye, and I'd rather those like you didn't post on the forum. "My pets DON'T need to be fed scorpions but I WANT TO CUT THEIR STINGERS OFF and watch them get eaten".
Lmao, imagine been so salty because someone asked a question that is not directly aimed at you, you’re just looking for a fight on the internet aren’t you? Ok then let me ask you why would you feed your pets cockroaches? Isn’t that the same as feeding scorpions? The only difference is the species isn’t it? Why does it make so much of a difference when I prefer to feed my pets something else rather than cockroaches? You’re just playing favorites here my dude, besides, what purpose does it serve you to to comment such useless pieces of comments?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
So are you suggesting instead of feeding my centipede in the enclosure I should feed it out in the open to mimic more of Mother Nature and risk having it run away? And why did you send a picture of the scorpion eating the centipede? How does this relate to “feeder scorpions”? I know that scorpions eat centipede as well, I am not THAT dumb, but there are obviously centipedes that are way bigger than bark scorpions
The fact you want to buy scorpions to feed your centipede but is going to mutilate the poor creatures sounds more like a killing jar than represent the natural food chain. If you want to mimic mother nature how about recreate its whole ecosystem in your backyard. Your centipede is not living in its native habitat or enjoying any of its natural ecology. It's just a waste to me. Ok, so the giant centipede overpowers and overwhelms a much smaller scorpion meanwhile you pouring a ridiculous amount of your invert budget into "feeders scorpions". Money that would be better spent on more inverts, terrariums, substrates, hides, lamps, etc.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Seriously mods can you not step in? If someone posted "I'm going to cut a tarantula's chelicerae off and feed them to my centipede because I'm special" got posted on here it'd be closed down.
So it’s ok to crush cockroach heads but not ok to cut off scorpion stingers? Honestly if it matters to you that much you have my word that I won’t cut the stinger off when I feed it to other animals

basin79

ArachnoGod
Lmao, imagine been so salty because someone asked a question that is not directly aimed at you, you’re just looking for a fight on the internet aren’t you? Ok then let me ask you why would you feed your pets cockroaches? Isn’t that the same as feeding scorpions? The only difference is the species isn’t it? Why does it make so much of a difference when I prefer to feed my pets something else rather than cockroaches? You’re just playing favorites here my dude, besides, what purpose does it serve you to to comment such useless pieces of comments?
Aye this old chestnut. Look, the only reason you want to feed scorpions is for the spectacle. Zero to do with anything else.

Also "I'm sad but I'll cut off their stinger". YOU came on a forum called ARACHNOBOARDS and stated you wanted to cut a scorpions sting off for YOUR entertainment.

Because the predator won't bother what the prey is.

So before you start with the whole moral high ground look at YOURSELF.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Let's try to keep this civil if we can.

@Xingyu I understand that you want to mimic the wild. But frankly it just seems unnecessary??? Captivity can never mimic nature perfectly and its never a good idea to try to mimic a DANGEROUS situation an animal might face in the wild. I just don't see the appeal of using scorpions as feeders when there are so many viable alternatives, that are less painful for you, the predator, and the prey.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Okay the OP has obviously made up his mind with his insistence on this path.

Good luck to you @Xingyu

This thread should be closed.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Let's try to keep this civil if we can.

@Xingyu I understand that you want to mimic the wild. But frankly it just seems unnecessary??? Captivity can never mimic nature perfectly and its never a good idea to try to mimic a DANGEROUS situation an animal might face in the wild. I just don't see the appeal of using scorpions as feeders when there are so many viable alternatives, that are less painful for you, the predator, and the prey.
This is like saying “Why would you buy a BMV, that is so unnecessary, you do realize you could just drive a Toyota and it’ll have the same features right?”

Aye this old chestnut. Look, the only reason you want to feed scorpions is for the spectacle. Zero to do with anything else.

Also "I'm sad but I'll cut off their stinger". YOU came on a forum called ARACHNOBOARDS and stated you wanted to cut a scorpions sting off for YOUR entertainment.

Because the predator won't bother what the prey is.

So before you start with the whole moral high ground look at YOURSELF.
.....I never tried to put myself on the moral high ground mr keyboard warrior, if I am willing to feed my scorpion to another animal that means I value the other animal more, so by cutting off the stinger I ensure its safety, but that does not mean that I HATE scorpions does it mr keyboard warrior? And no it doesn’t have ZERO to do with anything else, my centipedes do not eat alive cockroaches and it’s been a really long while since I’ve seen it eat something alive, why does that bother you so much? It seems like you aren’t really good with the internet because you get so easily offended, maybe you should just stop, have you considered that?

basin79

ArachnoGod
.....I never tried to put myself on the moral high ground mr keyboard warrior, if I am willing to feed my scorpion to another animal that means I value the other animal more, so by cutting off the stinger I ensure its safety, but that does not mean that I HATE scorpions does it mr keyboard warrior? And no it doesn’t have ZERO to do with anything else, my centipedes do not eat alive cockroaches and it’s been a really long while since I’ve seen it eat something alive, why does that bother you so much? It seems like you aren’t really good with the internet because you get so easily offended, maybe you should just stop, have you considered that?
Offended? Aye. With dumb. With the ridiculous. It's not the likes of me that should refrain from posting but you.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
This is like saying “Why would you buy a BMV, that is so unnecessary, you do realize you could just drive a Toyota and it’ll have the same features right?”
Bark Scorpions are $7-$15 a piece. And they are some of the cheapest scorpions available being both a common and native species.

Status
Not open for further replies.