Enclosure/Terrarium Pictures

Saark

Arachnosquire
Shelob in the foliage

Here's a pic of Shelob, my ~4yr old female T. stirmi hanging in the foliage. I know you can't really see much of the enclosure but I love the wild/natural look of this photo. I have not gotten a measurement on her since before she molted but at this point she has to be 8in - 9in in size, if not a little bigger. I rarely get to see her out of her burrow so it's always a treat when it happens. I believe she is preparing a spot to molt there because she has been laying down a thick mat of webbing and she's darkening up quite a bit like she did prior to her last molt in May of 2012.

Shelob 006crop.jpg

Sippari

Arachnopeon
To Sippari:
P.murinus and GBB are dry terrain species not rainforest species, did you know that? just wondering :)
Yes, I know that. Thanks for your concern anyway =)
Pics may give you wrong impression of their conditions. Sorry for that. Tanks are usually dry excluding their waterbowls. Before those pictures taken, I had just mist them because both of them had moltings coming. Day after that C.cyaneopubescens molted successfully and two days later P.murinus molted too. BTW, GBB looks awesome now. Ok, just wanted to explain. Sorry, bad english =D

Saark

Arachnosquire
If everything goes well, and i the shipment is a success, i'm getting a 4" Female Hysterocrates Hercules. i have a 40 gal terrarium here and i'm going to convert it into a paludarium (half land half water) put some feeder fish in and make it all look nice :D (providing the T arrives alive though) i'll definitely post pics of it when i start making it.
This would be pretty cool. I thought about that after the fact with my T stirmi tank. I thought it would be a cool idea (actually a warm one) to put an aquarium heater in the water and keep it at about 80-82 degrees. It would be a nice way to provide heat to the tank while not having to fight the loss of humidity you get from heat lamps. I am currently using a 150 w light on a 50gal tank to keep it at 77 at night and 86 during the day. I also use a Repti Fogger to keep the humidity up at 88% all the time. That, and I water the live plants regularly. I have both the light and fogger plugged into a Hygrotherm to control day/night temps and humidity.

Anyway, look forward to seeing the pics. Oh and one thought, can tarantulas swim? be sure there are plenty of spots in/over the water the T can get hold of should it accidentally fall in the water! :)

xTimx

Arachnoknight
should be getting the Ts tomorrow or weds by the latest. hope hope HOPE they all arrive ALIVE, i'll be for surely checking on the H. Hercules to see if its alive. placing her in a temp enclosure. i'm currently building a large cabinet to house all my Ts in. so between building that, getting more cash and building the new Paludarium, its all up in the air haha. besides, this paludarium all depends on whether if the H. Herc arrives alive or not! i hope its alive, for my sake and the shippers! (crosses fingers)

laMort

Arachnopeon
Please give me an opinion on this enclosure, it's my first. It should be housing g. rosea or b. smithi in the future. Size is 12x12x12 inches.
terra.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Please give me an opinion on this enclosure, it's my first. It should be housing g. rosea or b. smithi in the future. Size is 12x12x12 inches.
View attachment 113541
That enclosure is far, FAR too tall for either species you mentioned. Both are terrestrial dwellers, meaning floor space is way more important than height. If your T gets the desire to climb (which it will), a fall from the top would almost certainly be fatal. The height of the cage should be about 1.5-2 times the leg span. As for floor space, you're fine. I can't speak for the B. smithi, but my rosea loves to climb, and she's horrible at it. She falls at least once a week, but it doesn't matter since there is no height for her to really fall from. If you want to keep the cage, look into getting a Greenbottle Blue. A little more expensive, but that species would like that enclosure.

I highly recommend buying The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. I'm a newbie too, I understand where you're coming from, but the book is only about $15 (US dollars). Good investment ;)

EDIT: The GBB would like the size of the enclosure, but not your current setup. Just to be clear.

Hexmark90

Arachnopeon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364164687.714266.jpg another 20 gal long :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364164774.130234.jpg some brand new homes I put together to house a few of my Poecilotherias!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364164898.224742.jpg a couple C. cyaneopubescens made some final touches to their new enclosures. Only took them 2 and a half days!! :)

Saark

Arachnosquire
Nice, I like the T. stirmi. I have mine (Shelob) in a planted 50gal tank. She loves her burrow! I never see her out unless I sneak into the room late at night after the lights have been out for a few hours. I think I like her even more because of that because it's such a treat to see her. My B. smithi on the other hand not only never hides, she never seems to move. Pretty, but kinda boring.

Hexmark90

Arachnopeon
Nice, I like the T. stirmi. I have mine (Shelob) in a planted 50gal tank. She loves her burrow! I never see her out unless I sneak into the room late at night after the lights have been out for a few hours. I think I like her even more because of that because it's such a treat to see her. My B. smithi on the other hand not only never hides, she never seems to move. Pretty, but kinda boring.
Thanks, Saark! I love them as well! My favorite are the arboreal species, mostly pokies but when it comes to terrestrials Theraphosas are my favorite! I cant seem to collect enough of them...but that's exactly what this hobby does to all of us :sarcasm:

Hexmark90

Arachnopeon
Here's a pic of Shelob, my ~4yr old female T. stirmi hanging in the foliage. I know you can't really see much of the enclosure but I love the wild/natural look of this photo. I have not gotten a measurement on her since before she molted but at this point she has to be 8in - 9in in size, if not a little bigger. I rarely get to see her out of her burrow so it's always a treat when it happens. I believe she is preparing a spot to molt there because she has been laying down a thick mat of webbing and she's darkening up quite a bit like she did prior to her last molt in May of 2012.

View attachment 113214
I didn't realize this was yours when I first saw it, Saark. This picture is epic! I love it. It has a very 'prehistoric' essence to it and it's naturalism is aw-inspiring. Great work on the enclosure and congrats on the pic! She's a beaut!

Saark

Arachnosquire
I didn't realize this was yours when I first saw it, Saark. This picture is epic! I love it. It has a very 'prehistoric' essence to it and it's naturalism is aw-inspiring. Great work on the enclosure and congrats on the pic! She's a beaut!
Thank you for the accolades! I love her and hope she's around for many more years. She is only four :) I need to plant some new plants. She broke half of the largest plant in the tank today. I'm thinking dense, very low growing plants are best. That and the occasional bromeliad.

Here are some other pics of my T's
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?245784-Family-Photos

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So I finally broke down a bought an Exo Terra. Now I see why they are more money- they are really well designed. So here is my complete A. brocklehursti enclosure.

DSC02576.jpg DSC02575.jpg DSC02574.jpg DSC02573.jpg