Does anyone know what this is?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I just got a new scorpion from the pet shop while I was buying food for everyone. I couldn't get over its color, so I had to get it :)

They had it listed as "Blood Red Scorpion." I've never heard that common name before, and I can't recognise it. It's about 3/4"-1" long, and has very long, narrow claws. It's also VERY agressive.

Any ideas?

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
One more. It's name is Pinchy ;) Anyone get the Simpsons reference?

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Thanks for that page :) From looking around, this is the one that seems the most similar to mine, I think:

-Bryan

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Bryan,

Based on the extreme length of the pedipalps and the general shape of the body it certainly does look like L.quinqestriatus. But wow the color is definitely different...quite wild.

Your best bet would be to post pics here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scorpionfans/?yguid=90319680

Scorpfans has the pros in the scorp field there...that is one wild looking scorp...do they have any more?

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Definitely has too long and narrow of pedipalps to be many other species or genus. Honestly, it looks a lot like a Centruroides bicolor in some aspects to me. Where did you aquire that scorp? Any chance of getting any more? Number of four, if possible... Please? If so, try to get three with short tail segments and one with longer segments (this trait is probably in that species of scorpion). Will pay for your "go between" assistance and time. Excellent coloration for a scorp and most attractive!

Is there a subaculear spine (point right next to the sting as seen in Babycurus picture posted on this thread already [Phil Messenger's pic])??? I can't tell by looking at the photos on that much detail.

Thanks,
edw. (ed_9172002@yahoo.com)

Last edited:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Here are two different links to C.bicolor...the palps on this scorp are quite long and the color varies quite a bit. Looking at your scorp again I see the palps are longer still and the tail is not quite as angular...I still want to lean to L.quinqestriatus...but those colors...

Bryan, when you find out I think ,most of us here would be very interested to know if the place you got this from has more or gets this species and color variation often

http://www.inbio.ac.cr/bims/ubi/aranas/ubiespejo/ubiid=156&-find.html

http://www.beepworld3.de/members23/harmonie-bau/centruroidesbicolor1.htm

John
];')

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats not a Babycurus jacksoni scorpling (B. jacksoni is the image that was posted), i have several and their color is not anything like that. Here is a link to some of my B. jacksoni babies

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
Where did you aquire that scorp? Any chance of getting any more? Number of four, if possible... Please?
I got it from a pet shop here in town. They only had one, and they got it from a rather shady dealer (lied to them about what tarantula species he was giving them).

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
Bryan, when you find out I think ,most of us here would be very interested to know if the place you got this from has more or gets this species and color variation often
I don't know if they can get another. This is the first scorpion like this that they have had. I'll ask next time I'm in, though.

-Bryan

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed you are correct about the coloration of the scorp's pedipalps leaning away from the C. bicolor, then again, I have never seen a Leiurus scorpion reach that much variety in coloration either. Tghe color shades lean me more towards the Babycurus genus.

I ask again, does the scorpion have a subaculear spine as seen in Babycurus sp. and Tityus sp. as I asked in my previous post? If so, it is definitely to be proven not to be a Lieurus, Centruroides or many other scorpions that it may appear like in the photos you provided. I would like to find out if it was indeed a very odd color morph of a Babycurus (indeed it is probably not a jacksoni, then again, the same was said about the jacksoni over at Invertrepet as well). Crisp photos up close from top, from the sides and bottom, as well as from the side of the aculeus will be needed for a positive id, or at least, as close as taxonomy will enable without being present with the scorp.

Definitely try to see if they can get more!!! *grins*

adios and thanks,
edw.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I ask again, does the scorpion have a subaculear spine as seen in Babycurus sp. and Tityus sp. as I asked in my previous post?
To be honest, I don't know what that means. I'm more of a tarantula guy, then a scorpion fan. You'll have to put it in lamens terms for me ;)

Crisp photos up close from top, from the sides and bottom, as well as from the side of the aculeus will be needed for a positive id, or at least, as close as taxonomy will enable without being present with the scorp.
I'll see what I can do. It's VERY tiny, so no promises.

Definitely try to see if they can get more!!! *grins*
I'll check for you! :D

-Bryan

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bryan,
The subaculear spine is found right next to the sting itself. It is a small point next to the stinging point found only on Babycurus, Tityus and a small number of other scorps. Basically, it looks as though the scorpion began to develope a second stinger, but it didn't completely develope and stayed small. If you need a pic to see what I am talking about, you can go to the scorpion files and glance at the pic of the Tityus stigmurus in the Buthidae family (pic taken from the side where you can see the spine by W. Wuester).

If up close pics can be aquired, it would greatly help! I know what you mean by tiny. I have photographed young Hottentota scorps and believe me, it's tough to get one that comes out in great shape. I do have a few though. *grins*

Thanks again,
edw.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, that's the first time I see a scorp with that color, but I saw a scorp on invertepet.com that looked like yours

Here it is, I don't know if it helps you, and I'm not even sure if Bill is right about this specie..

Hope it helps, Frank

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Tstorm, though I agree with the palps being much to long to be in this species. The palps, as stated by John (Kug), definitely appear closest to the Lieurus genus, though the coloration is too far off in my opinion to be included with one of the named species under that genus. I suppose that's why I suggested that it may be a Centruroides sp. They tend to have extremely long peds for the males of the species. Some Tityus and Babycurus have even more elongated peds, which was my purpose in suggesting the subaculear spine as a possibility of id.

adios,
edw.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I took some new photos tonight. Do these help in the IDing at all?

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Another shot of the colors, with no background this time.

-Bryan