Does anyone know what this is?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
This is its normal threat stance. It's very quick to take it from ANY disturbance.

-Bryan

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
Last photo.

What does everyone think? :?

-Bryan

I think that is one of the coolest colorations I have ever seen and I want about twenty of them. *lol* All jokes and money probs aside, Well, I still want it.

I honestly don't know what the hell it is. Need more time actually. I have to go to work in just a couple and I have to get food prior to that, so adios. Will work on it some tomorrow AM. Can you get any pics that are clearer? They are quite fuzzed on my monitor.

:? thanks,
edw.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
Can you get any pics that are clearer? They are quite fuzzed on my monitor.
That scorpion can fit on a quater, easily. It's too small for me to get anything clearer, unless it shows NO details. My camera's just not that good :8o

-Bryan

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, the colouration leads me to suspect that it is Babycurus sp. No idea as to the exact species, though. Incidentaly, the Invertepet scorpion on the previous page of this thread also looks like Babycurus to me. Not that I've taken a close look at it, but the colouration, general shape and dorsal patterning are much closer to Babycurus than they are to Hottentotta. I can assure you, Bryan, that yours is not a Hottentotta.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Bryan, I'm still waiting on a reply from Rolando. I still think it looks like some weird colored L.quinquestriatus.

John
];')

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
I still think it looks like some weird colored L.quinquestriatus.
Maybe someone dipped it in hair dye ;)

-Bryan

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Well...possibly...though I always thought they looked quite punk to begin with :D

John
];')

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
One more. It's name is Pinchy ;) Anyone get the Simpsons reference?

-Bryan

Are you referring to the episode in which Bart had a pet elephant named Stampy? :? :)

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Btw, GORGEOUS scorpion! :) Wonder how big it'll get....

kellygirl

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I suspect he was refering to Pinchy the lobster. "Ohhhh, Pinchy ... mmmmmm .... sob sob ... mmmmmmm."

Cheers,
Dave

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
I suspect he was refering to Pinchy the lobster. "Ohhhh, Pinchy ... mmmmmm .... sob sob ... mmmmmmm."
Yay! Someone caught it :)

-Bryan

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's annother episode where Homer find a family of possums and says "I named the big one Bitey"

Wade

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dave, I thought it could be a Babycurus, but in the photos, though not clear enough to be positive, do not appear to even give off shadow of a subaculear spine, which, I believe is present in all Babycurus scorpions (obviously a noticeable trait in B. jacksoni seen in the pics from Invertepet [and labeled Hottentota, though corrected on Bill's site] on the first and second pages? of this thread).

Babycurus do tend to not have such elongated pedipalps though. The most common I have found with that kind of length to the chela fingers and narrowness of the chela are Centruroides, Tityus and Leiurus (a few other genus included, but the majority of their genus does not have this trait or does not have it to this extreme).

adios,
edw. :?

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That scorpion initially listed as Hottentotta is now listed on my site as Babycurus jacksoni. I had Dave Gaban here a while back and I think he mentioned that was his opinion as well.

I just hadn't changed the pic/removed the Hottentotta sp. text (it is now).

The scorpling does look like very much like the baby B. jacksoni that we had here... Same banding and coloring from what I can tell. I'll post a pic in a bit.

bill

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hehe i'm happy that by showing the picture, Bill renamed it so it won't confuse people :)

At least I helped ;)

Frank

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Well guys,

Rolando got back to me this morning and his best guess is that it might be a Tityus trivattus or another closely related species. He would need better collection info and pics to be sure but take a look at the same species on Scorpion files...sure looks very close. Especially to T.trinitattus

Pay particular attention to the chela on the tityus...very long.

T.trivattus

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/t_trivittatus.jpg

Here is a pic of T.trinitatus

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/t_trinitatis.jpg

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
John, I'll second that. T. trivittatus color morph appears to be the most likely suspect in my opinion after peering at the pics a little closer (now that it has been mentioned). The colors, though more extreme, appear to be very distinct as to which body parts are what color and where. I'm curious to know whether the scorp in question has the subaculear spine and to what degree it extends, as this could definitely give us a better idea as to whether it is indeed the Tityus spoken.

adios,
edw.