Does anyone know what this is?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Having the spine would definitely help though I suspect Bryan has a juvenile and it may be difficult to tell if it has a spine.

John
];')

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
Having the spine would definitely help though I suspect Bryan has a juvenile and it may be difficult to tell if it has a spine.

John
];')
It is quite small, so I'm suspecting that it's a juvenile, too. That said, I see no spine.

-Bryan

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm no scorpion expert (I've never even owned a scorpion), but assuming Scorps are anything like tarantulas, is it possible it could be a cross breed?

You said the dealer was kinda shady, and some of those *shady dealers* cross breed and sell them off.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED I'm curious to know whether the scorp in question has the subaculear spine and to what degree it extends, as this could definitely give us a better idea as to whether it is indeed the Tityus spoken. [/B]
Is there any way you can show me a picture of what I'm looking for? Maybe that would make this easier.

-Bryan

SCIROCCO

Arachnopeon
Hi @ all !

I have two of this scorps !

My distributer said that this species came from turkey, and so i believe this is a Isometrus spp.
A friend said this is a Isometrus maculatus, but my Isometrus maculatus have a other coloration.

greetings,
thomas

Last edited:

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Valael,

Scorpions can't breed outside of their species. I'm not sure about the subspecies, though I think they can do that.

Bill,

I hope you don't mind, I had to borrow your pic to identify the subaculear spine easier.

TheEternal,

I just circled the subaculear spine in blue on this scorp, so you can see what I am talking about. Sorry it's not a top quality editing job with labels and all. The format was different and would not open with any good art programs I have.

SCIROCCO,

VW?

Hi! They definitely aren't Isometrus maculatus, though as I said before (at least I think I did), the Isometrus and Isometroides were my first ideas upon glance of the peds. The distibutor for you said it's from Turkey huh? Interresting. Can your distributor get more and ship to the US? heheh....

Attachments

SCIROCCO

Arachnopeon
HI !

@ edw

I dont mean that the scorp of the pic is a Isometrus maculatus, because my Isometrus maculatus have a other coloration, but i think that this is a Isometrus spp. or a Lychas spp.
Whatever...

And maybe my distributor is wrong wiht turkey, but he get new scorps of this species in april, but i dont believe that he is shipping in the us.
:}

greeting,
thomas

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I think I may have found out what it is! :D How similar does this look?

Tityus sp.

The only difference I see is the terminal tail segment's color. I'm assuming that the color might be an adult marking. Any other opinions?

-Bryan

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
That looks pretty dang similar...and if yours are juvies that would explaing the subtle differences.

John
];')

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
That looks pretty dang similar...and if yours are juvies that would explaing the subtle differences.
I couldn't believe it when I saw the photo. I had to pick up the deli-cup my scorp is in, to compare.

Is there much information availible about this genus? I know nothing about it, and little about scorpions. Now that I have a jumping off point, maybe I can start learning :)

-Bryan

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Not in the hobby trade...most countries that have that species don't allow imports.

P.S....Ever go in chat?...its hopping tonight.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Bryan,

The key here is HOT HOT HOT! To make matters worse, not much venom study has actualy been done on Tityus, so other than the potential severity of stings from several species, not much is known.

The other key here is JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS! I've wanted a Tityus for a while now, but never been able to get one.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Honestly, everything matches precisely with T. bahiensis pics I have which show the coloration variety on the femurs and final tergite segment, etc. The only thing lacking, is coloration for adulthood. Then again, T. bahiensis may have one hell of a color morph, subspecies or one hell of a coloration for a juvi!!!

Will post the pic I have in my photo collection. I don't mean to "steal" the photo or take credit for it. I can't remember where I got it from or who took the pic. I believe it may have come off of the Scorpion Files, but I'm not exactly sure. If someone does, please post that info so credit can be correctly given. Thanks.

adios,
edw. :D

Attachments

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
After finding out how hot the venom of my new scorp is, I don't feel comfortable having it. I'm going to add it to the classifieds for trade. Just letting everyone in here know before I do so :)

-Bryan

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What are you interested in trading for? Don't put it on there til' I have my chance. *lol*

adios,
edw. =D

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
What are you interested in trading for? Don't put it on there til' I have my chance. *lol*
I'm sorry for not updating. It's going to Todd Gearheart. He hit me in a weak spot and promised me an L. cristatus ;) Sorry.

-Bryan

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
scorpion

Hi iv seen alot of different scorpions but never that one you ever find out what kind it is i would love too have one

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed it is a Tityus. By coloration alone, I would say a highly extreme color morph of T. bahiensis (as stated in my third to last post and photo posted [unknown photographer takes credit]), but nobody can be 100% positive, unless taxonomy research documents are avail for the scorp and the scorp is present with the person conducting (obviously). T. bahiensis, as well as some other sought after Tityus scorpion species are native to Brazil, which does not currently allow the export of it's scorpions (some of the Brazilian Tityus species includes T. bahiensis, T. serrulatus and T. stigmurus). Many of the scorpions there, such as these, are considered by Brazilians to be pests. Many are killed daily by pesticides and other forms of pest control which I have spoken with quite a few Brazilians doing such, on. I have not successfully found anyone in Brazil or the US who can ship them legally into the US. I've been attempting to locate sexed pairs of the three species I named for about five years. I would have paid quite a sum for the pictured scorp, but oh well, it doesn't matter now.

adios,
edw.

No such luck... :(

Last edited: