Display spider suggestions

Adenovirus19

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

Like many of you, I have a T-addiction. Step 1: admit I have a problem. Step 2: Admit I cannot control it. Step 3: give it up to a higher power (my friends on Arachnoboards)

Actually, my favorite spider was my first: A. Calcoides 4 inch female I got from Ken the Bug Guy. I like that she is always out, approaches any disturbance rather than runs from it, and has some awesome strange behaviors: climbs the enclosure at night, seems to go into a trance from time to time, and devours her feeders.

I understand that all individuals differ within a species. But generally, what else in your experience is a good display spider that is not likely to hide or burrow

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Acanthoscurria geniculata - look good, always out in the open, great feeding response (never fails to amaze me how mine senses prey before it even touches the ground!) and they get quite large too.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I've always been a fan of Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens as a display spider, mainly because of their colors and because of the crazy web structures they make. I've had three different ones and even the sling i recently got spends more time "out" then not.. Now granted this sling has decided that its water dish is actually its hide and not ment for water at all.

ronoverdrive

Arachnopeon
C. cyaneopubescens, H. pulchripes, D. diamantinensis, C. versicolor, B. hamorii, Euathlus sp. Red, Euathlus sp. "Tiger," Hapalopus sp. Columbia Large...

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I suggest an LP. They get big and don't usually ever hide. I know my big girl has never used her hide.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Pretty sure H. pulchripes is a burrower, so that's not a good option.
My H. pulchripes is out of its burrow probably 70-80% of the time I check on it. Harpactira spp. vary in reclusiveness but H. pulchripes is definitely on the less reclusive end of the spectrum.

cold blood

Staff member
A. geniculata or GBB are the obvious choices.

Any of the red legged Brachys would be good as well.

Same for Nhandu chromatus and coloratovillsus.

If you want to stick with Aphonopelma, moderatum and bicoloratum, while expensive and difficult to locate sometimes...are each stunning.

If you want to get into arboreals, the versicolor is a great choice.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Acanthoscurria geniculata - look good, always out in the open, great feeding response (never fails to amaze me how mine senses prey before it even touches the ground!) and they get quite large too.
Another vote for A. genic. My girl here is an eating, digging, dancing, prancing, pingpong legend! She loves to be on display so much that she dug a hole, pushed her hide into it, and buried it (screw hiding)!

DSCN8034.JPG

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I just ordered an A. geniculata and a GBB. They're already my favorites and i havent even met em, yet, so i recommend both.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
All my Ts except my P. cambridgei are good at displaying themselves but my GBB is always on display so I guess I choose her because of the never failing to be put in the open and the incredible webbing.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Definitely echo GBB or A. genic. Some Pokies are out a decent amount once they grow up a bit but that tends to vary more from spider to spider whereas GBBs and genics are almost universally not the hiding sorts. P. cambridgei is another that tends to stay out more and is very nice (if not a bit underrated) looking.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would suggest G pulchra Gbb,Pamphobeteus sp machalla and Pamphobeteus sp mascara as none of the ones I've gotever use their hides.

2 others that I would recommend are slightly rarer but mine never use the hides provided and they are G anthracina and T cyaneolum

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've only got 11 T's. Of those the 3 that I see the most are my Brachypelma hamorii (Smithi), Caribena versicolor and Grammostola pulchra.

Giles52

Arachnopeon
My Brachypelma hamorii (Smithi) is always out in the open. He's never been a fan of his hide, other than to sit on top of it. And like some of the others have said, they look gorgeous as well :)