did some pairing last night

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo T_T I am broken. Oh well at least you got the others an you still have the female if you could locate a male. Cheers!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah it does suck pretty badly. Two sacs eaten this week. :( I should have some males im raising up, but they are tiny slings right now.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ah man that does suck. I hate especially when they get that close to the pull date. I figure most of the time the females eat the sac because nothing is developing inside. But i would prefer to know, rather than never know.
I know what you mean. I recently had a fasciata do that, at about 25 days.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ah man that does suck. I hate especially when they get that close to the pull date. I figure most of the time the females eat the sac because nothing is developing inside. But i would prefer to know, rather than never know.
In the case of this fasciata, they were some that had hatched out, but no longer alive when I recovered the sac. I suspect some of the eggs were going bad and she smelled the decomposition of those, and called the whole thing a loss. I wish I had of pulled it at 3 weeks. But you never what's going on.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah more than likely she knew that it was a loss. Its pretty horrible, but you never know when its going to happen. Ive had females eat sacs the day after making them, then at 25 days also.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
Man John I think I'm more bummed about the subfusca sac than u a are....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You might be man :(. This is twice she has done that. Not sure if i want to pair her up ever again or not.
Man John I think I'm more bummed about the subfusca sac than u a are....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lampropelma nigerrimum

I didnt get to see these two pair, but evidently they were getting along. She was willing to let him stand on her while he harassed me :).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well unfortunately i couldnt find it today. She ate it :(. But hopefully my plumipes and cupreus will drop sacs.
Why do female Ts eat it? Is it because they are starved of food and need food, so that's the closest thing?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No not really. Its more along the lines of them knowing the sac is not viable. Their sensory is way more developed than ours. Im betting that females can tell and know, that at a certain point there should be movement inside the sac. If they can tell there is no movement than they know the sac is a dud, and its better to replenish their energy than just let the sac rot. At least this is my theory. But i have also had sacs eaten that 1st instar have came out of. Look for my T. violaceus sac. I found her eating it, but found 1st instars outside of it crawling around.
Why do female Ts eat it? Is it because they are starved of food and need food, so that's the closest thing?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No not really. Its more along the lines of them knowing the sac is not viable. Their sensory is way more developed than ours. Im betting that females can tell and know, that at a certain point there should be movement inside the sac. If they can tell there is no movement than they know the sac is a dud, and its better to replenish their energy than just let the sac rot. At least this is my theory. But i have also had sacs eaten that 1st instar have came out of. Look for my T. violaceus sac. I found her eating it, but found 1st instars outside of it crawling around.
That makes sense except for your obversation w/ T. violaceus. Perhaps their sensory system isn't that good hahaha...She sensed bacon in the air, and poof..started eating! J/k I don't know...I never bred any yet, but I might!

akarikuragi

Arachnosquire
I wonder if part of it has to do with stress, even if they appear to thrive in captivity perhaps certain species/individuals are more prone to being distressed by disturbances?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Its really hard to say for certain man. But i imagine that eggs not developing is the number one reason. You should try breeding. Its pretty rewarding.
That makes sense except for your obversation w/ T. violaceus. Perhaps their sensory system isn't that good hahaha...She sensed bacon in the air, and poof..started eating! J/k I don't know...I never bred any yet, but I might!

---------- Post added 12-11-2013 at 04:49 AM ----------

Im sure there probably are certain females that would eat a sac before another one would, regardless of species. But sometimes a female will eat a sac, then the next one she drops, she is the best mother in the world to. Disturbances i usually keep to a minimum. Like halfway through ill pour in some water and feed the female if she looks like she needs it.
I wonder if part of it has to do with stress, even if they appear to thrive in captivity perhaps certain species/individuals are more prone to being distressed by disturbances?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its really hard to say for certain man. But i imagine that eggs not developing is the number one reason. You should try breeding. Its pretty rewarding.
I'm trying to set myself up for that with a NW terrestrial species, as opposed to those super friendly OW species for a first go around hahah

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well thats good man. Hopefully it will work out for you! Ill be pairing up A. urticans here really soon. Been wanting to pair my female forever, and now have a fresh male, and female molted a week ago.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well thats good man. Hopefully it will work out for you! Ill be pairing up A. urticans here really soon. Been wanting to pair my female forever, and now have a fresh male, and female molted a week ago.
Oh urticans are pretty. I'm hoping that either Brett on the forum, or someone in the USA, produces hurianna. I regret not getting them years ago when they were plentiful!

I have 5 females of different species, so we'll see. Man, if only I could tell if my A. metallica was female or not, it's killing me =/

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you checked it's vent? They're easy to sex that way at about 2" and up.

No I haven't..for 3 reasons. One, it's been against web the whole time, it won't move over to the non web surface.

2. Can you vent sex Avics w/the "dot" method like some OWs?? I wasn't aware of any sure fire method w/Avics

3. This guy is hairy, it's hard to see through, I'll give it another try if there's something concrete to look for :confused:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah get them under the right lighting, and the violet stands out very well. If im thinking about the same Brett, more than likely he will. I think i know of another person that will be working on them before too long. Im not much into Avics anymore. Only reason i keep the urticans around is because she is sentimental, being she lost her fangs in a molt, and i had to nurse her for a few months.
Oh urticans are pretty. I'm hoping that either Brett on the forum, or someone in the USA, produces hurianna. I regret not getting them years ago when they were plentiful!

I have 5 females of different species, so we'll see. Man, if only I could tell if my A. metallica was female or not, it's killing me =/