did some pairing last night

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah get them under the right lighting, and the violet stands out very well. If im thinking about the same Brett, more than likely he will. I think i know of another person that will be working on them before too long. Im not much into Avics anymore. Only reason i keep the urticans around is because she is sentimental, being she lost her fangs in a molt, and i had to nurse her for a few months.
I think his name on here is BrettG. If it's the same person, he told me getting a MM huriana is next to impossible. I wouldn't be surprised if he has more than female. I hope he does, because someday I HOPE, he will produce if he gets lucky. I know he's breeding minatrix like a mofo. He has great prices on them right now too.

What is this violet you speak of, and where should I look for it on my A. metallica ??

They can lose fangs during a molt?? How does that happen..never heard of that. AND, more importantly how you feed it and care for it once that happens???

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No I haven't..for 3 reasons. One, it's been against web the whole time, it won't move over to the non web surface.

2. Can you vent sex Avics w/the "dot" method like some OWs?? I wasn't aware of any sure fire method w/Avics

3. This guy is hairy, it's hard to see through, I'll give it another try if there's something concrete to look for :confused:
It's fairly obvious. Females have wider, white lips, and males are tighter there, with a dark or light spot above the vent. Don't get hung up on the color of the dot, it's the dot itself. Females are smooth and uniform above the vent. If there is something different there than smooth and plain, it's a male. I gently nudge them into a deli cup, and then use a flashight. Avics sometimes are slow, and try to stay in the same spot (like a demonstrator resisting the police), but if you keep gently pushing them, you can get them out of their silk.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep Brett is a good friend. He will more than likely produce them eventually. The violet im speaking of (lol) is on the urticans. You can see it in this link, and it will show you where she lost her fangs. The fangs just got stuck in the molt and broke off.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?215761-bad-day&highlight=A.+urticans+lost+fangs
Oh man, I had a feeling you meant that..crap! I read how you made cricket/roach goo and got her attention. Dude, that's great. I can't imagine having to do that with an OW species or an irminia!

It's fairly obvious. Females have wider, white lips, and males are tighter there, with a dark or light spot above the vent. Don't get hung up on the color of the dot, it's the dot itself. Females are smooth and uniform above the vent. If there is something different there than smooth and plain, it's a male. I gently nudge them into a deli cup, and then use a flashight. Avics sometimes are slow, and try to stay in the same spot (like a demonstrator resisting the police), but if you keep gently pushing them, you can get them out of their silk.
Oh Poec it's obvious to you, you have tons of Ts and been doing this for decades hahaha. Well, I only have 1 metallica so comparison is not viable. I know what you mean though because that first description fits my Honduran. A dark or light spot between the anterior book lungs, like Poki and Singapore Blues? I can sex those males much better than sexing my Brachys and Grammastolas!

My metallica is definitely slowish. it's a bit stubborn like you describe too. I thought it was just mine as my A. bicegoi and Avic avic weren't like that, they moved. My metallica just stays there, and would rather bunch up the legs close to its body than move. But once it feels slightly more deliberate, or constant nudging then it looks to make a little dash up the tongs, sometimes onto my arm. It can be quick, esp when you trying to put down its home and make sure it doesn't jump off. Its getting pretty big now since the last molt too. As soon as the cork bark arrives, it's getting a rehouse.

I'll give it a go with a catch cup too! Thanks Poec!

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Was a nice feeling when she molted and had fangs again! Lol yeah it would have been different. But i figure no matter what species that would have happened to, i still would have went the same route.
Oh man, I had a feeling you meant that..crap! I read how you made cricket/roach goo and got her attention. Dude, that's great. I can't imagine having to do that with an OW species or an irminia!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Was a nice feeling when she molted and had fangs again! Lol yeah it would have been different. But i figure no matter what species that would have happened to, i still would have went the same route.
I'd have to use snake tongs for an OW species w/that issue! Oh I bet it was nice.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah i would too. I have a pair of 16" hemostats that would be perfect. I use them to feed the snakes.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Oh Poec it's obvious to you, you have tons of Ts and been doing this for decades
Actually, I'm still new to vent sexing. I only got back in the hobby a year and a half ago. Prior to that, vent sexing was some mysterious thing Euorpeans did behind closed doors, that wasn't really understood in the US. Back then, you simply didn't know the sex of your immature spiders.

The way I learned vent sexing wasn't from my spiders, but by looking at dozens and dozens of pictures on a few spider forums. With good pics, you can see the detail and then read what experienced people think they are, and why. That's the best way to learn.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually, I'm still new to vent sexing. I only got back in the hobby a year and a half ago. Prior to that, vent sexing was some mysterious thing Euorpeans did behind closed doors, that wasn't really understood in the US. Back then, you simply didn't know the sex of your immature spiders.

The way I learned vent sexing wasn't from my spiders, but by looking at dozens and dozens of pictures on a few spider forums. With good pics, you can see the detail and then read what experienced people think they are, and why. That's the best way to learn.
I've been trying...trust me. The sooner I know..the better off I am. I HATE waiting years. That's why I like Poki and Singapore Blues!

EmberPhase

Arachnopeon
I finally got insertion from my P.antinous. she hooked with him quick and then proceeded to chase him out of her tank. She is a love'em and leave'em kind of gal I guess. 2013-12-08 18.57.43.jpg

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Took some digging to figure out some dates, but yeah that one is from your male! My other female was paired with a fresher male, so i was confused on my answer until i did some digging lol.
From the male I sent you? I'd feel really bad if he never came through for you.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Took some digging to figure out some dates, but yeah that one is from your male! My other female was paired with a fresher male, so i was confused on my answer until i did some digging lol.
Wonderful! Glad to hear it, man.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Phew! I'm finally finished reading through the thread! I'm assuming the Irminia that just reached 2i are the ones I'm getting :D